Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Wall Won't Stop This

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,548 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 215 Times in 201 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kudzu View Post
    Secure checkpoints along the American-Mexican border have become an increasingly popular entrance for drug smugglers entering the United States, a fact that could undermine President Donald Trump's argument for a border wall.

Customs agents at the San Ysidro Port of Entry, the busiest land border crossing in the world, check 50,000 vehicles and 20,000 pedestrians on an average day — and they do it 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Located just south of San Diego and a few miles north of Tijuana, there are countless attempts to bring drugs across the border: some successful, some not.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-walls-n724341

Is Trump going to shut down ALL traffic between the US and Mexico?
    With over 500 billion in business transactions a day at stake? Not a chance.
    "2Timothy 3 "But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Old Trapper For This Post:

kudzu (01-13-2019)

3. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Old Trapper,

Quote Originally Posted by Old Trapper View Post
    Why take a minor example of crimes committed by illegals, and act as if it is the majority?
    Because if they were honest with themselves about this, it would mean the Republican was not the better choice in 2016, something they refuse to admit at the outset.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

rjhenn (01-13-2019)

5. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,879 Times in 6,106 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 594 Times in 580 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Old Trapper View Post
    With over 500 billion in business transactions a day at stake? Not a chance.
    How else can he "save" America?

Do you remember a 1958 CBS western series called Trackdown?
    He who is the author of a war lets loose the whole contagion of hell and opens a vein that bleeds a nation to death. Thomas Paine

6. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,511 Times in 4,834 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,798 Times in 1,605 Posts
    Blog Entries

“Real power is, I don’t even want to use the word: ‘Fear.’” This quotation of President Trump talking to Bob Woodward of The Washington Post in 2016 tells you all you need to know about the man.

He defines power as making other people afraid.

This attitude is a sign of cowardice, not power.

“Fear: Trump in the White House”

Initially, Mr. Trump told the reporters that “real power is through respect,” according to a transcript of the interview. Then he added: “Real power is, I don’t even want to use the word: ‘Fear.’”
    FEAR is Trump's ONLY currency. 3 years--I've yet to hear one uplifting sentence. One uniting phrase.

This is AMERICA at her lowest.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Centerleftfl For This Post:

kudzu (01-13-2019), rjhenn (01-13-2019)

8. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 6,202 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 493 Times in 469 Posts
    Blog Entries

So? Do laws against murder stop all murders? Don't be a retard. BTW, the wall design has a component to deter tunneling.
    Every life matters

9. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    No. Walls won't stop this.

When El Chapo broke out of prison he had help. His gang tunneled into the prison he was being held in. The tunnel was a mile long, and the tunnelers had the accuracy to come up directly under the shower in his cell. It was very sophisticated.

"Just 14 months after Guzman landed in Mexico's maximum-security Altiplano prison, he broke out in July 2015.
    After Guzman's getaway, authorities said they made a shocking find underground: a lighted and ventilated tunnel, replete with tracks and a modified motorcycle inside.
    The tunnel, Mexican National Security Commissioner Monte Alejandro Rubido said, began with a 50 x 50 centimeter (20 x 20 inch) opening inside a shower in Guzman's cell.

That opening, officials said, connected to a vertical passageway going about 10 meters (33 feet) underground.

The passageway, outfitted with a ladder, led to a tunnel that was about 1.7 meters (5.5 feet) tall and more than 70 centimeters (28 inches) wide.
    Inside the passageway, investigators found what Rubido described as an "adapted motorcycle on tracks that was likely used to remove dirt during the excavation and transport the tools for the dig."

In one respect, the tunnel was notably different from others Guzman's Sinaloa cartel had built.
    "It was arrow straight," said Jim Dinkins, the former head of investigation for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. It was a sign, Dinkins said, that a cartel known for building sophisticated tunnels to send drugs across the U.S.-Mexico border had tapped its best and brightest for help.
    "Look -- the boss, El Chapo, is in prison. You're not going to bring in the B squad," Dinkins said. "You're going to bring in the A team, and you're going to bring in your best tunnelers, you're going to bring in your best engineer, and your best crew ... with one objective: You get the boss out."
    One Mexican official estimated the tunnel took about a year to build, and that whoever built it took out about 350 truckloads worth of sand and dirt.
    The passageway stretched for more than a mile and ended inside a half-built house. Crews started building the house in December 2014, then stopped a few months later, according to a farmer who lived nearby. The facade appeared to be finished around February or March, the farmer said, but workers kept moving dirt around the property for months -- until the day before Guzman's escape, when all of them were gone."

CNN: Drug Cartel Tunneling Sophistication
    You know it always amazes me when I hear of things like this. That tunnel took a lot of work. That was good work. It is amazing the accuracy they had. After a MILE of tunneling, they managed to come up directly under a single shower stall. That was a really excellent bit of work there. Work like that could just as easily be done for legitimate purposes. It was an engineering feat. When people do such good work and work so hard for something illegal, when those workers could probably get paid just as well doing something legal, I struggle to understand why.

Really, if you apply yourself and find the right application of your talents, it is easier to earn a living in this world doing legal contributions to society. There is simply no reason to break the law to have a good life. I struggle to understand why people will work so hard to earn money, hard enough to do it legally, but what they do is illegal, and they could go to prison for it. Why not just do something equally challenging, but legal, pay into the system, and have a rewarding life with a nice retirement? I don't get it.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

kudzu (01-13-2019), rjhenn (01-13-2019)

11. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Centerleftfl,

Quote Originally Posted by Centerleftfl View Post
    FEAR is Trump's ONLY currency. 3 years--I've yet to hear one uplifting sentence. One uniting phrase.

Make America Grate Again.

12. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,879 Times in 6,106 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 594 Times in 580 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Centerleftfl View Post

Have you ever heard of a CBS Western in 1958 called Trackdown?

1958 TV show "Trackdown" told the story of a conman named Trump who warns town people that the world will be destroyed and that only he can save them by building a wall ... CBS Fox News . Wikipedia ...
    He who is the author of a war lets loose the whole contagion of hell and opens a vein that bleeds a nation to death. Thomas Paine

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kudzu For This Post:

rjhenn (01-13-2019)

14. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,126 Times in 9,657 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 503 Times in 476 Posts
    Blog Entries

give it a rest. the wall or fence is happening.

15. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,011 Times in 3,467 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 494 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    You know it always amazes me when I hear of things like this. That tunnel took a lot of work. That was good work. It is amazing the accuracy they had. After a MILE of tunneling, they managed to come up directly under a single shower stall. That was a really excellent bit of work there. Work like that could just as easily be done for legitimate purposes. It was an engineering feat. When people do such good work and work so hard for something illegal, when those workers could probably get paid just as well doing something legal, I struggle to understand why.

Really, if you apply yourself and find the right application of your talents, it is easier to earn a living in this world doing legal contributions to society. There is simply no reason to break the law to have a good life. I struggle to understand why people will work so hard to earn money, hard enough to do it legally, but what they do is illegal, and they could go to prison for it. Why not just do something equally challenging, but legal, pay into the system, and have a rewarding life with a nice retirement? I don't get it.
    LOL You think whoever did the work doesn't also do legal work? LOL

16. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,011 Times in 3,467 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 494 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries

1958 TV show "Trackdown" told the story of a conman named Trump who warns town people that the world will be destroyed and that only he can save them by building a wall ... CBS Fox News . Wikipedia ...
    For fucks sake, that was known back in 2016 when Trump was running. Get some new items to bitch about

17. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,039 Times in 2,191 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 603 Times in 570 Posts

When the original barrier, in place now, was built, the priority was "Where is this Barrier most needed, and where does it not make sense".

And as funds and appropriations ran dry, in attempting to put a barrier on the border, it was determined that some areas didn't make much sense: I.E. Areas where there were no close roads or areas of civilization for more than 25 - 50 miles of the border on either side of the border. Or, in other words, areas with no easy access to the border on either side, with just a non-habital desert wilderness and dangerous landscape.

So, there are still areas, without any barrier at all, other than the treacherous landscape itself that surrounds our border where the rabbits won't even go themselves to cross.

My question? Why did these people in the OP's story just try to cross where there was no barrier, instead of cutting through the existing fence or tunnel under it where it did exist?

I'll tell you why! Because it just makes sense that no one wants to cross the border facing a 25 - 50 mile trek through a dangerous desert with no food, water, or safe havens to weather the extreme hot and cold temperatures, and where everything in that desert either sticks, stings, or bites you!

So even though there are some very desperate souls still willing to try it on occasion, it is more of an exception to the rule, as they are becoming more rare. Because there have just been so many true stories of so many dead bodies discovered in the desert of those who have tried, most Mexicans know better than to even try it.

I really have no problem in completing more areas of Barrier- for just humanitarian reasons alone if it will deter the few who would attempt to cross in these areas from almost certain death in trying.

What you say? Is that worth 5 Billion to you- even for humanitarian reasons?

18. #58 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Too Funny!

I never heard of that so I did a little search. It's not the theme of the whole series. It's one episode. But wow. Is it ever amazingly similar:

"The End of the World

In "The End of the World", a rabble-rousing doomsayer named Walter Trump (played by Lawrence Dobkin) comes to town. He scares the townsfolk with talk of an impending disaster and claims to be the only person who can save them – by building a wall. He also threatens to sue Hoby when accused of dishonesty. By the end of the episode, he is arrested as a conman and fraud. The coincidental similarity to Donald Trump's name and proposed border wall was noted after his 2016 election.[5] Vanity Fair wrote that "of all the books and movies that presaged the rise of our reality-TV president... none are so eerily on the nose as this once-obscure, 1958 episode of Trackdown in which a demagogue named Trump attempts to convince a town that only he can save its citizens from the threats outside their borders... by building a wall."[6] The Wrap asked, "Want to talk about a weird coincidence?.... Some may call this episode titled 'The End of the World' the ultimate illustration of life imitating art, considering the episode aired May 8, 1958... it is pretty amusing, especially when the TV character threatens, 'Be careful, son. I can sue you.'"[7] The San Francisco Chronicle stated that "the character's speech is so similar to the president-elect's, it almost seems as if Donald Trump borrowed some catchphrases from Walter Trump."[8] "

wiki

19. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

rjhenn (01-13-2019)

20. #59 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoil View Post
    LOL You think whoever did the work doesn't also do legal work? LOL
    I think you have missed the point.

If they also do legal work they have jeopardized their lives by doing a prison break.

If their engineering is that good to be able to come up in a shower stall at a mile away, they are simply mis-applying their talents and should be able to have a perfectly good life with legitimate work. Any reputable workers would turn down illegal work.

21. #60 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf_Twitler View Post
    When the original barrier, in place now, was built, the priority was "Where is this Barrier most needed, and where does it not make sense".

And as funds and appropriations ran dry, in attempting to put a barrier on the border, it was determined that some areas didn't make much sense: I.E. Areas where there were no close roads or areas of civilization for more than 25 - 50 miles of the border on either side of the border. Or, in other words, areas with no easy access to the border on either side, with just a non-habital desert wilderness and dangerous landscape.

So, there are still areas, without any barrier at all, other than the treacherous landscape itself that surrounds our border where the rabbits won't even go themselves to cross.

My question? Why did these people in the OP's story just try to cross where there was no barrier, instead of cutting through the existing fence or tunnel under it where it did exist?

I'll tell you why! Because it just makes sense that no one wants to cross the border facing a 25 - 50 mile trek through a dangerous desert with no food, water, or safe havens to weather the extreme hot and cold temperatures, and where everything in that desert either sticks, stings, or bites you!

So even though there are some very desperate souls still willing to try it on occasion, it is more of an exception to the rule, as they are becoming more rare. Because there have just been so many true stories of so many dead bodies discovered in the desert of those who have tried, most Mexicans know better than to even try it.

I really have no problem in completing more areas of Barrier- for just humanitarian reasons alone if it will deter the few who would attempt to cross in these areas from almost certain death in trying.

What you say? Is that worth 5 Billion to you- even for humanitarian reasons?
    Diminishing returns. As stated, we already have walls.

The ROI for investing in further wall extensions makes it not worth it.

Especially when it is deficit spending.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

rjhenn (01-13-2019)