Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Art of the Deal

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 2,772 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 215 Times in 209 Posts

Default The Art of the Deal

Some joker at the BBC has been taking a look at Trump's 1987 book (actually written by Tony Schwartz) to see what light it casts on the Battle for the Wall.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46822452

What Trump said

I like thinking big. I always have. To me it's very simple: if you're going to be thinking anyway [ed: he should try it sometime] you might as well think big.

The wall is / will be / would be big, and he's stuck with it.

What Trump said

I never get too attached to one deal or one approach. For starters, I keep a lot of balls in the air.

He doesn't have a lot of balls in the air, it's the wall or nothing.

What Trump said

The worst thing you can possibly do in a deal is seem desperate to make it ... Leverage is having something the other guy wants. Or better yet, needs.

The problem here is that Trump wants a wall (or an "artistically designed" fence?), and the Democrats need one like a hole in the head.

What Trump said

When people treat me badly or unfairly or try to take advantage of me, my general attitude, all my life, has been to fight back very hard.

Goes without saying. But he still needs a wall.

What Trump said

You can't con people, at least not for long ... if you don't deliver the goods, people will eventually catch on.

To quote the author of In Trump We Trust, who has now lost faith:

Last edited by Tranquillus in Exile; 01-12-2019 at 05:11 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tranquillus in Exile For This Post:

Adolf_Twitler (01-12-2019), Phantasmal (01-12-2019), PoliTalker (01-12-2019), ThatOwlWoman (01-12-2019)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,879 Times in 6,106 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 594 Times in 580 Posts
    Blog Entries

"I am proud to shut down the government for border security," Trump says in Oval Office "tantrum" with Schumer, Pelosi

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-m...-live-updates/
    He who is the author of a war lets loose the whole contagion of hell and opens a vein that bleeds a nation to death. Thomas Paine

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kudzu For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (01-12-2019)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,520 Times in 5,217 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,477 Times in 2,299 Posts

I am loving the shut down

It is showing the American people that the government isn’t tha important in their lives

No airplane crashes
    No massive outbreaks of food poisoning.

Life is good.

And no, I don’t care about gobblement workers. They are takers. Let them get real robs in the real economy and actually be productive for once in their lives. In short. Fuck em. They probably vote for the democrat party anyway. Fire their asses

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

The problem with this wall, for Trump, is it is something he wants. Worse yet, he NEEDS it.

If he doesn't get it, he is toast with his base.

It was a basic campaign promise.

He said it himself:

"You can't con people, at least not for long ... if you don't deliver the goods, people will eventually catch on."

He was the one who threw the con out there. Now he has to try to deliver on it. He NEEDS this thing.

He's got himself in the position he likes to have others in. And it is going badly for him.

I want to see him lose.

5 billion bucks is really chump change for our government. And I know the wall won't make any difference in any of the issues he claims it will solve. Sometimes I think the Dems should offer a really tough deal to him. Maybe offer to approve the wall if he takes away the rich tax cut. But that would be pointless. He woudn't go for it, and then he would see that as a sign of weakness and be encouraged to hold out.

Nah.

Let him squirm.

He can't keep this up forever. The economy has already bled more than he's asking for.

Not only did he not get Mexico to pay for the wall, he got America to, and he still didn't get the wall.

He got nothing.

What a loser.

What a failure.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

christiefan915 (01-12-2019), iolo (01-12-2019), ThatOwlWoman (01-12-2019)

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,520 Times in 52,738 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

How many spending measures have they passed since Toadstool was selected? He could have had this fight at any point in the last two years, but chose not to. Why now? Just to make the new (D) House majority look bad? If so, it's backfiring badly.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

kudzu (01-12-2019)

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

To be fair, Trump didn't write that book. He probably didn't even read it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to StoneByStone For This Post:

PoliTalker (01-12-2019)

12. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StoneByStone View Post
    Trump bought the first 5,000 copies so it would be on the Times Best Seller list.
    He who is the author of a war lets loose the whole contagion of hell and opens a vein that bleeds a nation to death. Thomas Paine

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kudzu For This Post:

PoliTalker (01-12-2019), ThatOwlWoman (01-12-2019)

14. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StoneByStone View Post
    Yeah, it does have more than 140 words, and not many pictures.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

kudzu (01-12-2019), PoliTalker (01-12-2019)

16. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,566 Times in 17,093 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by I Love America View Post
    I am loving the shut down

It is showing the American people that the government isn’t tha important in their lives

No airplane crashes
    No massive outbreaks of food poisoning.

Life is good.

And no, I don’t care about gobblement workers. They are takers. Let them get real robs in the real economy and actually be productive for once in their lives. In short. Fuck em. They probably vote for the democrat party anyway. Fire their asses
    Kinda early to make those statements, don't you think? Of course if they happened, you would find a way to blame Pelosi. Fact is the TSA and Airplane controllers are still working are still working, just not getting paid. The food safety is way too early to say that.

17. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    How many spending measures have they passed since Toadstool was selected? He could have had this fight at any point in the last two years, but chose not to. Why now? Just to make the new (D) House majority look bad? If so, it's backfiring badly.
    I wonder if Trump is getting a kickback on the wall?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to kudzu For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (01-12-2019)

19. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,566 Times in 17,093 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    The problem with this wall, for Trump, is it is something he wants. Worse yet, he NEEDS it.

If he doesn't get it, he is toast with his base.

It was a basic campaign promise.

He said it himself:

"You can't con people, at least not for long ... if you don't deliver the goods, people will eventually catch on."

He was the one who threw the con out there. Now he has to try to deliver on it. He NEEDS this thing.

He's got himself in the position he likes to have others in. And it is going badly for him.

I want to see him lose.

5 billion bucks is really chump change for our government. And I know the wall won't make any difference in any of the issues he claims it will solve. Sometimes I think the Dems should offer a really tough deal to him. Maybe offer to approve the wall if he takes away the rich tax cut. But that would be pointless. He woudn't go for it, and then he would see that as a sign of weakness and be encouraged to hold out.

Nah.

Let him squirm.

He can't keep this up forever. The economy has already bled more than he's asking for.

Not only did he not get Mexico to pay for the wall, he got America to, and he still didn't get the wall.

He got nothing.

What a loser.

What a failure.
    5 Billion is a downpayment. The wall would be more in the area of 30 . That does not count the lawsuits that eminent domain will create. Some of those lawsuits that were started when Bush used eminent domain are still in court. The cost of course does not count the certain overruns that plague largescale projects.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nordberg For This Post:

Phantasmal (01-12-2019), PoliTalker (01-12-2019)

21. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,039 Times in 2,191 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 603 Times in 570 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tranquillus in Exile View Post
    Some joker at the BBC has been taking a look at Trump's 1987 book (actually written by Tony Schwartz) to see what light it casts on the Battle for the Wall.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46822452

What Trump said

I like thinking big. I always have. To me it's very simple: if you're going to be thinking anyway [ed: he should try it sometime] you might as well think big.

The wall is / will be / would be big, and he's stuck with it.

What Trump said

I never get too attached to one deal or one approach. For starters, I keep a lot of balls in the air.

He doesn't have a lot of balls in the air, it's the wall or nothing.

What Trump said

The worst thing you can possibly do in a deal is seem desperate to make it ... Leverage is having something the other guy wants. Or better yet, needs.

The problem here is that Trump wants a wall (or an "artistically designed" fence?), and the Democrats need one like a hole in the head.

What Trump said

When people treat me badly or unfairly or try to take advantage of me, my general attitude, all my life, has been to fight back very hard.

Goes without saying. But he still needs a wall.

What Trump said

You can't con people, at least not for long ... if you don't deliver the goods, people will eventually catch on.

To quote the author of In Trump We Trust, who has now lost faith:

Would you please stop making Donald Trump look stupid by quoting him exactly?

And You Media people- stop filming Donald Trump making an ass out of himself in public!

I mean! WTF people! That's just so unfair! LOL!

22. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kudzu View Post
    I wonder if Trump is getting a kickback on the wall?
    It wouldn't surprise me a bit to find that out. And here's what will happen, if construction begins and diligent investigative reporters uncover a TrumpCo connection to the contractors:

23. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The problem with being Trump is the same thing that explains the enormous fame and success of Trump: a naked neediness, a certain shamelessness, an insatiable hunger to be the largest, loudest, most honkingly conspicuous presence in any room—the great, braying Trumpness of Trump—and that’s probably far less of a revel than it seems.

snip

There is Trump’s compulsive use of superlatives—especially when he’s talking about his own accomplishments. Maybe what he’s building or selling really is the greatest, the grandest, the biggest, the best, but if that’s so, let the product do the talking. If it can’t, maybe it ain’t so great.

There’s the compulsive promotion of the Trump name. Other giants of commerce and industry use their own names sparingly—even when they’re businesspeople who have the opportunity to turn themselves from a person into a brand. There is no GatesWare software, no BezosBooks.com; it’s not Zuckerbook you log onto a dozen times a day.

snip

But the Trump name is everywhere in the Trump world, and there’s a reason for that. You can look at something you’ve built with quiet pride and know it’s yours, or you can look at it worriedly, insecurely, fretting that someone, somewhere may not know that you created it—diminishing you in the process. And so you stamp what you build with two-story letters identifying who you are— like a child writing his name on a baseball glove—just to make sure there’s no misunderstanding.

On occasion, there is an almost—almost—endearing cluelessness to the primal way Trump signals his pride in himself. He poses for pictures with his suit jacket flaring open, his hands on his hips, index and ring fingers pointing inevitably groinward—a great-ape fitness and genital display if ever there was one.

After he bought the moribund Gulf+Western Building in New York City’s Columbus Circle, covered it in gold-colored glass, converted it into a luxury hotel and residence, and reinforced it with steel and concrete to make it less subject to swaying in the wind, Trump boasted to The New York Times that it was going to be “the stiffest building in the city.” If he was aware of his own psychic subtext, he gave no indication.

snip

It’s not just real estate Trump seeks to own or at least control. There was his attempt to trademark the words “You’re fired,” after they became a catchphrase on his reality show, The Apprentice. There was his offer to donate $5 million to a charity of President Obama’s choosing if Obama would release his college transcripts to him, Donald Trump. In both cases, Trump wants something—possession, attention, the obeisance of no less than the President—and so he demands it. The behavior is less id than infant—the most narcissistic stage of the human life cycle.

The petulance of Trump’s public feuds—with Rosie ODonnell (“a total loser”), Seth Meyers (“He’s a stutterer”), Robert De Niro (“We’re not dealing with Albert Einstein”) and Arianna Huffington, (“Unattractive both inside and out. I fully understand why her former husband left her for a man . . .”)—is wholly of a piece with the fragility of the narcissistic ego. In Trump’s imaginings, it is Fox News’s Megyn Kelly who owes him an apology for asking pointed questions during the Republican debate, not Trump who owes Kelly an apology for his boorish behavior and school-yard Tweets (“Wow, @megynkelly really bombed tonight. People are going wild on twitter! Funny to watch”). As for his sneering misogyny—his reference to blood coming out of Kelly’s “wherever”? Nothing to see here. It’s Jeb Bush who really should apologize to women for his comments about defunding Planned Parenthood.

http://time.com/3992363/trump-narcissism/

24. The Following User Says Thank You to kudzu For This Post:

PoliTalker (01-12-2019)

25. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello kudzu,

Quote Originally Posted by kudzu View Post
    The problem with being Trump is the same thing that explains the enormous fame and success of Trump: a naked neediness, a certain shamelessness, an insatiable hunger to be the largest, loudest, most honkingly conspicuous presence in any room—the great, braying Trumpness of Trump—and that’s probably far less of a revel than it seems.

snip

There is Trump’s compulsive use of superlatives—especially when he’s talking about his own accomplishments. Maybe what he’s building or selling really is the greatest, the grandest, the biggest, the best, but if that’s so, let the product do the talking. If it can’t, maybe it ain’t so great.

There’s the compulsive promotion of the Trump name. Other giants of commerce and industry use their own names sparingly—even when they’re businesspeople who have the opportunity to turn themselves from a person into a brand. There is no GatesWare software, no BezosBooks.com; it’s not Zuckerbook you log onto a dozen times a day.

snip

But the Trump name is everywhere in the Trump world, and there’s a reason for that. You can look at something you’ve built with quiet pride and know it’s yours, or you can look at it worriedly, insecurely, fretting that someone, somewhere may not know that you created it—diminishing you in the process. And so you stamp what you build with two-story letters identifying who you are— like a child writing his name on a baseball glove—just to make sure there’s no misunderstanding.

On occasion, there is an almost—almost—endearing cluelessness to the primal way Trump signals his pride in himself. He poses for pictures with his suit jacket flaring open, his hands on his hips, index and ring fingers pointing inevitably groinward—a great-ape fitness and genital display if ever there was one.

After he bought the moribund Gulf+Western Building in New York City’s Columbus Circle, covered it in gold-colored glass, converted it into a luxury hotel and residence, and reinforced it with steel and concrete to make it less subject to swaying in the wind, Trump boasted to The New York Times that it was going to be “the stiffest building in the city.” If he was aware of his own psychic subtext, he gave no indication.

snip

It’s not just real estate Trump seeks to own or at least control. There was his attempt to trademark the words “You’re fired,” after they became a catchphrase on his reality show, The Apprentice. There was his offer to donate $5 million to a charity of President Obama’s choosing if Obama would release his college transcripts to him, Donald Trump. In both cases, Trump wants something—possession, attention, the obeisance of no less than the President—and so he demands it. The behavior is less id than infant—the most narcissistic stage of the human life cycle.

The petulance of Trump’s public feuds—with Rosie ODonnell (“a total loser”), Seth Meyers (“He’s a stutterer”), Robert De Niro (“We’re not dealing with Albert Einstein”) and Arianna Huffington, (“Unattractive both inside and out. I fully understand why her former husband left her for a man . . .”)—is wholly of a piece with the fragility of the narcissistic ego. In Trump’s imaginings, it is Fox News’s Megyn Kelly who owes him an apology for asking pointed questions during the Republican debate, not Trump who owes Kelly an apology for his boorish behavior and school-yard Tweets (“Wow, @megynkelly really bombed tonight. People are going wild on twitter! Funny to watch”). As for his sneering misogyny—his reference to blood coming out of Kelly’s “wherever”? Nothing to see here. It’s Jeb Bush who really should apologize to women for his comments about defunding Planned Parenthood.

http://time.com/3992363/trump-narcissism/
    Trump is quite full of himself. He doesn't just think he is great. He thinks he is the greatEST.

And if you disagree - and you make him look silly - you will be insulted.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.