Thread: Called it! Couple days later than I predicted before, but still called it.

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,406 Times in 10,036 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

Default Called it! Couple days later than I predicted before, but still called it.

President Drumpf told reporters Thursday that he has the “absolute right” to declare a national emergency to secure funding for his border wall and will “definitely” use that option if he’s unable to reach a deal with Democrats.

“I have the absolute right to declare a national emergency,” he said. “I haven’t done it yet. I may do it. If this doesn’t work out, probably I will do it, I would almost say definitely. This is a national emergency.”

While Drumpf has left the option on the table for days, more conservative members of the media have voiced hesitation and outright opposition to the idea, over fear of the precedent it would set for other presidents.

Just like I said back on Tuesday; Trump will finagle a way to end the shutdown by declaring an emergency.
    When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
    President Drumpf told reporters Thursday that he has the “absolute right” to declare a national emergency to secure funding for his border wall and will “definitely” use that option if he’s unable to reach a deal with Democrats.

“I have the absolute right to declare a national emergency,” he said. “I haven’t done it yet. I may do it. If this doesn’t work out, probably I will do it, I would almost say definitely. This is a national emergency.”

While Drumpf has left the option on the table for days, more conservative members of the media have voiced hesitation and outright opposition to the idea, over fear of the precedent it would set for other presidents.

Just like I said back on Tuesday; Trump will finagle a way to end the shutdown by declaring an emergency.
    I predicted that despite being given directions, distance, and the road to travel, you'd refuse to show. Damn if I didn't hit it on the head.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,619 Times in 21,482 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,632 Times in 5,140 Posts
    Blog Entries

I really would like to see this play out in the Congress and the Courts. Doing this would force the Senate and the House to vote on allowing the transfer of their powers to the President and agreeing that it is an emergency. It would also force the Supreme Court to rule on the Constitutionality of the Emergency Powers Act and the Constitutionality of Congress ceding their powers to another branch.

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jarod For This Post:

CharacterAssassin (01-10-2019)

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 244 Times in 225 Posts

Technically it wouldn't end the shutdown. It would just get his wall built. The only problem is that the SCOTUS more or less already ruled on this issue when Truman tried to seize steel mills he thought were underproducing. Congress controls the purse strings. To build it under emergency powers at most would require him to strip the $5.5B from other programs already authorized and funded by Congress.

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    I really would like to see this play out in the Congress and the Courts. Doing this would force the Senate and the House to vote on allowing the transfer of their powers to the President and agreeing that it is an emergency. It would also force the Supreme Court to rule on the Constitutionality of the Emergency Powers Act and the Constitutionality of Congress ceding their powers to another branch.
    The courts will never allow it, and if a lower court did it'd get appealed all the way to SCOTUS. I don't see Roberts looking favorably on this.

It's going to die with a whimper and no Conservative will ever talk about the wall again.

For them, the wall is a symbol of their judgment and instincts...if no wall is built, then that means the judgment and instincts that led them to the wall were crap. These people simply cannot handle the bruising their ego will take.

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Kacper View Post
    Technically it wouldn't end the shutdown. It would just get his wall built. The only problem is that the SCOTUS more or less already ruled on this issue when Truman tried to seize steel mills he thought were underproducing. Congress controls the purse strings. To build it under emergency powers at most would require him to strip the $5.5B from other programs already authorized and funded by Congress.
    Of course.

What I meant to say is that he would use the emergency powers as an excuse to end the shutdown.

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,520 Times in 5,217 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,477 Times in 2,299 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    Every President since Carter has declared a National Emergency for something or other during their time in office.

B. Hussein Yobabymama did it 13 times. I don't recall you bitching one time when he did it. Why is that? Is it because Trump is white?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to canceled.2021.1 For This Post:

Wolverine (01-10-2019)