Members banned from this thread: Hermes Thoth, SmarterthanYou, USFREEDOM911, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Granule, canceled.2021.1, Boris The Animal, canceled.2021.2, MAGA MAN, Irish, CFM, Ralph, Sailor, Life is Golden, Bigdog, TTQ64, Getin the ring, zymurgy, Superfreak, PraiseKek, Eagle_Eye, katzgar, countryboy, Tommatthews, volsrock, The Ugly Truth, BodyDouble, coolzone, rhym3pays, LV426, Loving91390, Into the Night, Enlightened One, Anarchon and artichoke

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Money Truly Doesn't Buy Happiness - World's Richest Man Bezos Is Getting A Divorce...

1. #76 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello cawacko,

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    "we'll just make what's needed"

Who would have created that computer and then internet that is allowing us to communicate now? A mate in one part of the globe would have said back in the day "let's create something that allows us all to communicate!" And someone would have said "I've seen the future and it is called a computer and here's how you build it..." and voila, a computer was born?
    People will always create new things. It is done out of curiosity. Did you think Dr. Jonas Salk worked so hard and cured polio for profit? No. He did it because it needed to be done, and he realized he might be able to do it. So he tried. He wanted society to have it. So he tried, (really hard for a long time) and he did it. It didn't make him rich. It could have. He could have sold it. He was fine. He already had a nice house. Moderate house. He was happy to have been able to do it. He made it widely available for free. He was what we called: 'A nice guy.'

He was not alone. The world is full of nice guys. Still is.

Did you think Nikola Tesla gave us AC, Alternating Current, the basis of our electrical infrastructure, for profit? No. He was simply fascinated with electricity and suspected it was possible to create an AC motor. Everybody laughed at him. Edison thought he was a kook and fired him. Edison was wrong. He had already wired several blocks of NYC on DC power so he didn't want to accept that Tesla was right. Tesla actually went to work as a laborer until George Westinghouse took an interest in Tesla's AC current idea. Westinghouse was a great capitalist. He got Tesla to sign away his rights to the invention in return for building it. Westinghouse got fabulously rich 'creating jobs.' Tesla died poor. After all he did for mankind and the USA.

Most people don't work jobs to get rich. Only the owners of a successful company get rich. The capitalists.

The workers get paid. That's it. Most stand no chance of becoming ultra wealthy at all. They get their agreed pay. And get shown the door after they are no longer useful.

Many workers don't work for capitalists. But they still work hard. They work full time jobs with lots of stress and goals and hard work. All without working for capitalists. People simply like working at something, seeing results, and achieving that sense of accomplishment that comes with a career. They work for the government or non-profits. Or they run small limited sole proprietorships or partnerships.

Most mom n pop small businesses are limited in scope. It's an independent job but usually there's no getting rich running a small store. It's just an independent job. They are capitalists, but not usually the kind we see giving capitalism a bad name. They're just making a living, not trying to rip people off. If they do well, they truly earned it.

The workers who work for extreme capitalists have been convinced to believe in capitalism, fantasize that some day riches will come their way. But unless they go out and try to make that happen, 99% of the time it does not happen.

Most workers are not motivated to work by the profit motive. They work hard because they are afraid if they don't, they will lose their job. Yes, they are in competition. They are in competition with the other workers and they know if they look bad in comparison that their job is not as secure.

People work because it feels good to accomplish something, to serve a purpose to society, be a part of things, be a productive member of society, one of the collective. We sure as heck don't live alone on this planet! Everybody is faced with the same lifetime challenge: Figure out where you fit into this whole thing...

What more people should do is just think positively. There's a lot of good around, but it doesn't make the news. There's good people EVERYWHERE. Mostly you don't hear about them. Maybe if somebody does something extraordinary they might get one of those feel-good spots on the news, a one-shot deal. If it's bad news we beat it to death. Under capitalism, the most profitable media story is bad news that keeps getting updated with new information. What a money-maker! But good news? Forget it. Good way to get your ratings in the dump. But just because we hear this constant stream of bad news all the time doesn't mean the world is such a bad place. All that kind of stuff has always been going on. We're just hearing about it non-stop now unless we tune it out.

I think too many people get too addicted to this social media and mass media technology. It's like we're turning into The Borg from Star Trek Next Gen. All this constant stream of data is causing our nation to be super polarized. That's not an encouraging thing. So we need to think more positively. And the cool thing is that is really easy to do. Just look for the good. It's out there. Make it a habit. There's always some good. Look for the good, make it your own. Think positive thoughts. All of the problems the world faces have possible solutions. All we can do is our best to try to solve them. It is of little practical or logical use to dwell on the bad. So think positive thoughts. It is the rational thing to do!

That's why I try to be positive here in my posting and everywhere in my life. We're not going to get anywhere being hung up on how bad somebody else is and letting that dominate our thoughts. We'll do far better if we feel good about the world, and about ourselves. My life is great. I don't know about you, but I love MY life. I wish everybody could enjoy their life as much as I enjoy mine. I worked for what I have, as a sole proprietor and as an employee. I've worked as a fund-raiser for a worthy charity. I've been a musician who played for free, entertained hundreds, volunteered for food drives, clean-ups. I've run amateur sports events, volunteered at concerts to get in free. I've got lots of great friends, and we enjoy life together, share our lives, keep in touch, have parties, celebrate and mourn together.

Life is what you make it.

I would advise anyone who wants to enjoy their life as much as I am enjoying mine to begin by thinking more positively. The good news is not going to slap you in the face. You have to look for it!

And yeah. People will work for other reasons than the profit motive.

Sometimes I think capitalism is almost a religion to some people. I know otherwise.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. #77 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,276 Times in 27,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Happiness can't be purchased.

Plenty of people are quite happy with their lives, even if they are not rich.

And there are very rich people who are not happy. Such as the richest man on Earth.

And our President.
    Teabaggers have a history of blurting out that liberals are "jealous" of Trump's wealth, Romney's wealth, Koch brothers wealth, et al.

To me, the only type of people who could possibly blurt out that kind of unsubstantiated assertion are those who are profoundly unhappy themselves.

We all want enough money to be reasonably comfortable. But actual happiness comes from a wellspring of intangibles in life: family, inner peace, self-respect, personal fulfillment, etc, etc. Those cannot be purchased with money.

I would not entertain the notion for even a nanosecond to trade what I have in my life, for what the Koch brothers have in theirs.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

evince (01-12-2019), PoliTalker (01-12-2019)

4. #78 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 Times in 27,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,565 Times in 18,156 Posts
    Blog Entries

I would take their money and help people

what kind if evil fuck thinks massive stacks if green paper are more important than children starving '

the mega wealthy are often sociopaths

they continued to AMASSE money instead of picking to change the world for the better with soo much power to change things

massive wealth will ALWAYS lead to evil unless you have a deep soul.

most who merely use amassed wealth to get what THEY want are evil

I feel guilt when I missed an opportunity to help someone.

Often remembering for YEARS my mistake

If I had the KOCH bros wealthy I soon wouldn't have the KOCH brothers wealth

It would be shared with the deserving

The funny thing is when you have that much wealth you accidently make money often

you spread it around and it returns simply out of HOW you help people

say you see an education need somewhere so you buy property to start an education facility and hire educators and staff.

they then improve the areas economy with their paychecks and the education improves the areas economy

Now your property is worthy way more than you paid for it and people are clamoring to go to and teach at you facility

5. #79 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello evince,

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    If I had the KOCH bros wealthy I soon wouldn't have the KOCH brothers wealth

It would be shared with the deserving

The funny thing is when you have that much wealth you accidently make money often
    Well, you know, that's a very generous thought. But even a fortune that large is not enough to help everybody in need. And if that fortune was given away it would create a one-time benefit for those people it could help, on a one-shot basis. And then it would be gone, and the benefit would be over. And things would go right back to the way they were.

But if you took that money and created a foundation for the purpose of helping the needy, then the principle could be maintained and never depleted, and the interest could be used to help people forever.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.