Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 48

Thread: Astronomers get glimpse at the very beginning of time

  1. #16 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    74,280
    Thanks
    3,419
    Thanked 16,509 Times in 13,778 Posts
    Groans
    1,775
    Groaned 1,982 Times in 1,879 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kacper View Post
    Theoretically.....if Stephen Hawking was right about the universe being more like a balloon with everything on its surface instead of everything being inside the balloon.
    that doesn't even make sense.......even if the universe was on the surface of the "balloon" what began at the center is headed outward and will never get back where it started........

  2. #17 | Top
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    8,497
    Thanks
    796
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,409 Posts
    Groans
    376
    Groaned 244 Times in 225 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    that doesn't even make sense.......even if the universe was on the surface of the "balloon" what began at the center is headed outward and will never get back where it started........
    If everything is on the surface, then nothing heads "out". It just moves along the surface

  3. #18 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    23,365
    Thanks
    8,000
    Thanked 10,209 Times in 5,123 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 557 Times in 531 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Teachers like that are precious as diamonds, eh?

    I never took physics but Mr. Owl has. He also explained gravity the same way. I think that was one of Stephen Hawking's greatest gifts -- that he could take the most esoteric and complex subjects in human thought and translate them into the-rest-of-us-speak.

    Now I want to go re-read A Brief History of Time.

    Good explanation of gravity lensing:

    https://astronomy.stackexchange.com/...tional-lensing
    Cheers,
    I need to read that book!

    Here is a book I have reserved at the library.

    "Astrophysics for people in a hurry"
    by Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson, 2017

  4. #19 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Ravenhenge in the Northwoods
    Posts
    14,914
    Thanks
    31,849
    Thanked 11,878 Times in 7,354 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 740 Times in 714 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Cheers,
    I need to read that book!

    Here is a book I have reserved at the library.

    "Astrophysics for people in a hurry"
    by Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson, 2017
    Sweet! Hadn't heard of that one, thanks for the idea.

  5. #20 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    12,547
    Thanks
    6,248
    Thanked 5,898 Times in 3,766 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 452 Times in 437 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    Scientists have peered at the very beginning of the universe, sampling light that was emitted at the dawn of time.

    And the breakthrough is the consequence of a happy accident: a galaxy acted as a huge space telescope, bending light so that we could see deep into space and time.

    The light that reached Earth was among the first to ever twinkle on after the Big Bang.


    Astronomers now hope they are able to make yet more similar discoveries, allowing them to watch as the universe began.


    The observations allowed scientists to pick up part of an extremely distant quasar, sending out a beam of light that is almost as old as the universe itself.




    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...-a8720016.html
    Thank you for this, Guno. Great stuff. We are moving along nicely toward greater and greater understanding of whatever exists.

    I do wish, however, that scientists were more careful with their wording.

    "The universe" as used in your first sentence (and as most scientists seem to use it) MAY NOT BE all that exists.

    Because of this (careless) wording on the part of scientists, we tend to suppose that "the universe" means "all that exists."

    There may be a day where we actually discover that more exists than "the universe." That day may never come for humans. But it is something that matters...and something we ought to acknowledge.

  6. The Following User Groans At Frank Apisa For This Awful Post:

    Dark Soul (01-10-2019)

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Apisa For This Post:

    guno (01-10-2019)

  8. #21 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    23,365
    Thanks
    8,000
    Thanked 10,209 Times in 5,123 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 557 Times in 531 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Sweet! Hadn't heard of that one, thanks for the idea.
    And thanks for reminding me about Hawking's book, which surprisingly I have not read yet.

    Circling back to good teachers:
    Based on my limited experience with scientists, educators, academia, and bureaucracies, I think some significant part of the problem of crappy teaching comes down to language and lexicon.

    People trained in science spend eight years in college learning a whole new language, jargon, and plethora of technical terms. And it seems to me they are loathe to give them up, and just explain things in simple, plain-language terms. I actually think some of these people think they won't sound as smart if they defer to simple, plain-language English lexicon, and they are somewhat addicted to specialized jargon. . Others probably are just clinging to the jargon out of habit, and not realizing that jargon is a piss poor way to teach and educate the layperson, or the average undergraduate.

    I am constantly telling technical people to use plain language, and you would be amazed at how little attention is paid by a lot of scientists to communicating in clear, concise, and lucid plain-English language.

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

    guno (01-10-2019), ThatOwlWoman (01-10-2019)

  10. #22 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    74,280
    Thanks
    3,419
    Thanked 16,509 Times in 13,778 Posts
    Groans
    1,775
    Groaned 1,982 Times in 1,879 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kacper View Post
    If everything is on the surface, then nothing heads "out". It just moves along the surface
    so a straight line is not straight.......

  11. #23 | Top
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Flyover Country
    Posts
    3,120
    Thanks
    1,286
    Thanked 1,415 Times in 1,028 Posts
    Groans
    99
    Groaned 115 Times in 111 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul View Post
    I thought this thread was going to be about the birth of Ruth Bader Ginsberg.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sirthinksalot For This Post:

    Dark Soul (01-10-2019)

  13. #24 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Blue Ridge
    Posts
    20,923
    Thanks
    11,914
    Thanked 5,689 Times in 4,654 Posts
    Groans
    1,642
    Groaned 933 Times in 848 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I'm reminded of droolng every time I see your screen name.
    Sorry, but I don't swing, and I don't swing your way.

  14. #25 | Top
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    12,830
    Thanks
    4,407
    Thanked 6,266 Times in 4,073 Posts
    Groans
    933
    Groaned 696 Times in 645 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul View Post
    Sorry, but I don't swing, and I don't swing your way.
    Yeah, I know.

    I'm a straight heterosexual, you're not.

    And unlike you, all the sex I've had, has been with other humans.

    Female humans to be exact.

  15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nomad For This Post:

    CharacterAssassin (01-10-2019), Frank Apisa (01-10-2019), guno (01-10-2019)

  16. #26 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Ravenhenge in the Northwoods
    Posts
    14,914
    Thanks
    31,849
    Thanked 11,878 Times in 7,354 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 740 Times in 714 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    And thanks for reminding me about Hawking's book, which surprisingly I have not read yet.

    Circling back to good teachers:
    Based on my limited experience with scientists, educators, academia, and bureaucracies, I think some significant part of the problem of crappy teaching comes down to language and lexicon.

    People trained in science spend eight years in college learning a whole new language, jargon, and plethora of technical terms. And it seems to me they are loathe to give them up, and just explain things in simple, plain-language terms. I actually think some of these people think they won't sound as smart if they defer to simple, plain-language English lexicon, and they are somewhat addicted to specialized jargon. . Others probably are just clinging to the jargon out of habit, and not realizing that jargon is a piss poor way to teach and educate the layperson, or the average undergraduate.

    I am constantly telling technical people to use plain language, and you would be amazed at how little attention is paid by a lot of scientists to communicating in clear, concise, and lucid plain-English language.
    I just ordered the Neil DeGrasse one you mentioned.

    Yeah, that jargon is a thing in just about every profession. Young doctors (and nurses too) often resort to that, I think to impress a patient with their education and knowledge. Kind of a way to gain cred when the person lacks experience!

  17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

    Cypress (01-10-2019), guno (01-10-2019), Phantasmal (01-10-2019)

  18. #27 | Top
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    10,469
    Thanks
    7,899
    Thanked 4,180 Times in 3,094 Posts
    Groans
    247
    Groaned 219 Times in 206 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I have this feeling that 'time' pulsates with the Big Bang and the Big Crunch.
    Sorry, but science says there will be no crunch. But then again, they also say 95% of the Universe's mass & energy is ... missing.
    I condemn the National Socialist German Workers Party, the Socialist Democrat Hate Whitey Party,... and Socialist Workers party heroes, Mao, Chavez, Mussolini, Pol Pot, Stalin, Castro and Kim Jung Un.

    Liberal Racist code: Orange is the New White

  19. #28 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Blue Ridge
    Posts
    20,923
    Thanks
    11,914
    Thanked 5,689 Times in 4,654 Posts
    Groans
    1,642
    Groaned 933 Times in 848 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Yeah, I know.

    I'm a straight heterosexual, you're not.

    And unlike you, all the sex I've had, has been with other humans.

    Female humans to be exact.
    No need to lie about this. Being queer is normal moral natural healthy in your circles.

  20. #29 | Top
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    8,497
    Thanks
    796
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,409 Posts
    Groans
    376
    Groaned 244 Times in 225 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    so a straight line is not straight.......
    Theoretically that would be correct as time/space is curved. Just something that I recall reading in Brief History of Time I think.

  21. #30 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    11,448
    Thanks
    6,046
    Thanked 3,547 Times in 2,755 Posts
    Groans
    198
    Groaned 280 Times in 265 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
    Sorry, but science says there will be no crunch. But then again, they also say 95% of the Universe's mass & energy is ... missing.
    Sorry Einstein, this is just a scientific theory based solely upon speculation and a gut feeling. So. BAM!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 57
    Last Post: 10-10-2018, 10:43 AM
  2. Astronomers find sugar floating in space
    By Havana Moon in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-02-2012, 06:40 AM
  3. If you want to have a glimpse of an acid trip, try this!!
    By Havana Moon in forum Off Topic Forum
    Replies: 122
    Last Post: 07-19-2012, 07:07 AM
  4. A glimpse of who will run a McCain presidency
    By uscitizen in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 83
    Last Post: 04-24-2008, 01:43 PM
  5. Thousands Gather at American for Glimpse of Obama
    By blackascoal in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-28-2008, 09:08 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •