Page 18 of 41 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Alabama QB Jalen Hurts in NCAA transfer portal, can be contacted by other schools

1. #256 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Sure you can, just like "cfm" can name Mississippi players, and the other guy Oklahoma, but that doesn't make them memorable outside of Alabama, Mississippi, or Oklahoma. Most college football fans couldn't tell you who Hurt was let alone where he will be next year
    Ok, so he was nationally known for a couple of years, and remembered by fans for years to come. What percentage of college athletes are actually remembered by everyone? 0.001% or less?

I think his story will be remembered by plenty of fans, and some from other places. He went 26-2 as a starter. Got benched in an epic game against Georgia. Stayed and supported the team and the guy who replaced him. Then less than a year later, the starter was hurt, Jalen came in, down by 2 touchdowns, with around 10 mins left in the game, and won the game. That is a fairly special story.

But if no one other than Alabama fans remember him, so what? Do you think that matters?
    Last edited by WinterBorn; 01-17-2019 at 10:52 PM.

2. #257 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Threedee View Post
    BROADWAY JOE NAMUTH
    Off the top of my head, Namath, Bart Starr, Ken Stabler, Cornelius Bennett, Derrick Thomas, John Hannah, Sylvester Croom, George Teague, Barry Krause, Ozzie Newsome, Michael Prostor, Don Hutson, Derrick Henry, Al Bell, Julio Jones, CJ Mosley, Tyrone Prothro, Amari Cooper, Sean Alexander, Harry Gilmer, Bobby Humphreys, Johnny Musso, Freddy Kitchens, Andrew Zow.........

I can name more former Alabama players than I am willing to sit and type. And many, if not most, Alabama fans would recognize all of those names. And some date back to when they wore leather helmets.

3. #258 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WinterBorn View Post
    Off the top of my head, Namath, Bart Starr, Ken Stabler, Cornelius Bennett, Derrick Thomas, John Hannah, Sylvester Croom, George Teague, Barry Krause, Ozzie Newsome, Michael Prostor, Don Hutson, Derrick Henry, Al Bell, Julio Jones, CJ Mosley, Tyrone Prothro, Amari Cooper, Sean Alexander, Harry Gilmer, Bobby Humphreys, Johnny Musso, Freddy Kitchens, Andrew Zow.........

I can name more former Alabama players than I am willing to sit and type. And many, if not most, Alabama fans would recognize all of those names. And some date back to when they wore leather helmets.
    Damn, you guys used to produce some QBs! Starr and the Snake were legit, and Broadway Joe, though vastly overrated, was/remains a great spectacle.

4. #259 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Threedee View Post
    Damn, you guys used to produce some QBs! Starr and the Snake were legit, and Broadway Joe, though vastly overrated, was/remains a great spectacle.
    Yeah, then we went to the 3 yards and a cloud of dust. And it was effective, to a point. It required a smothering defense. If you got behind, ground & pound wasn't a good way to catch up.

5. #260 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,041 Times in 13,848 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

Majority of which are more famous for their pro careers than college

Bigger question is why would you want to remember all those names, their just football players, and next year there will be more football players

6. #261 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Majority of which are more famous for their pro careers than college

Bigger question is why would you want to remember all those names, their just football players, and next year there will be more football players
    Because I enjoy the games. Those players all made great plays. Some never played in the NFL. Some, like Tyrone Prothro, were injured before they should have been finished playing in college. But they played the game with all their heart and skill.

Here is an amazing catch by Prothro that happened right in front of me:

As a fan of the game, and the team, that is memorable.

7. #262 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Well good for the Clemson people where you live. Of course, they are likely talking about Bryant, who quit immediately upon being benched. THAT is a quitter. Staying and helping the team, like Hurts did is a different matter, whether you can see it or not. Bryant got his panties in a wad. Hurts worked for the good of the team. And he was there when Alabama needed him in the SEC Championship.

The people at OU thought enough of Hurts to offer him a scholarship. And there is talk of OU potentially having 3 Heisman winners in a row.
    The definition of quitter isn't based on a time frame but what one does.

When they mention Hurts by name, they're talking about Hurts, too. That you can't accept it proves your biased opinion is meaningless.

8. #263 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

9. #264 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,041 Times in 13,848 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

Time to wrap it up fellas, basketball season is upon us, and neither Alabama nor Mississippi are remembered by anyone for their deeds, past or present, on the hardwood

10. #265 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Time to wrap it up fellas, basketball season is upon us, and neither Alabama nor Mississippi are remembered by anyone for their deeds, past or present, on the hardwood
    I'm not a fan of basketball. So I'll stick with football. There is still the final signing day for recruiting. Then the spring games. Then the buildup to the start of the 2019 season.

11. #266 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

OU fans welcome Jalen Hurts.

OU fans stood in line to meet Jalen Hurts at halftime of a Sooners basketball game.

12. #267 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,419 Times in 7,538 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 270 Times in 253 Posts
    Blog Entries

Mississippi? How'd they get in this discussion?

13. #268 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
    Mississippi? How'd they get in this discussion?
    I wondered about that myself.

14. #269 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,419 Times in 7,538 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 270 Times in 253 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'm not a fan of basketball. So I'll stick with football. There is still the final signing day for recruiting. Then the spring games. Then the buildup to the start of the 2019 season.
    I'm with you. I watch how LSU recruiting is going, how the latest QB for them is doing in the spring, etc. I went nuts this past fall when the Tigers demolished GA.
    If I could be a senior in H.S. again I'd probably have decided not to go there and gone to a smaller, quiter state U. but LSU was/is my school.
    Last edited by anonymoose; 01-26-2019 at 11:59 PM.

15. #270 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Margot Frank View Post
    Hurts not only Won't win the Heisman,he might not win the starting job!
    Wonder what WB's excuse will be then?