Page 11 of 41 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Alabama QB Jalen Hurts in NCAA transfer portal, can be contacted by other schools

1. #151 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WinterBorn View Post
    If Clemson had been #1 and Alabama had won the game, it would have been an upset.

If for no other reason than the fact that Clemson struggled against some unranked or lower ranked teams, while Alabama did not, there was a prediction that Alabama would win. There were people who picked Clemson. But the majority picked Alabama. The Vegas lines were close enough to be the equivalent of an even game.
    No it wouldn't have been an upset. Citadel beating Alabama would. If the Vegas lines considered it an even game, neither one winning was an upset. That gives you Alabama fans an out and something for which you can use as an excuse.

2. #152 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You have proven nothing of the kind.

Except that you don't mind stretching the truth.

You keep harping on the fact that it was called an upset. Who called it an upset? Sports experts? But you also have mocked my use of the words of experts.
    I've proven you're a biased, blinded Alabama fan. In fact, you were kind enough to admit you're biased.

You called it an upset.

I mocked you and you kept coming back for more.

3. #153 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CFM View Post
    An upset, by definition, is an unexpected win. Are you saying no one expected Clemson to win?

Both teams can't be #1. Had the roles been reversed and Alabama won, it wouldn't have been an upset.

I think what upsets you is that Alabama got their ass kicked as badly as they did.
    Just FYI, in the BCS Championship game in January of 2013, #1 Notre Dame lost to #2 Alabama. It was called an upset.

4. #154 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I've proven you're a biased, blinded Alabama fan. In fact, you were kind enough to admit you're biased.

You called it an upset.

I mocked you and you kept coming back for more.
    You missed my point, yet again. Yes, I called it an upset. The higher ranked team is always expected to win.

But YOU are quoting experts who called it an upset, just after mocking me for referring to the experts.

5. #155 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

No it wouldn't have been an upset. Citadel beating Alabama would. If the Vegas lines considered it an even game, neither one winning was an upset. That gives you Alabama fans an out and something for which you can use as an excuse.
    I don't need an out. Alabama had a great season and then ended it by getting our ass kicked. Clemson had a great season and played a great game to beat Alabama.

I need no excuses.

6. #156 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Just FYI, in the BCS Championship game in January of 2013, #1 Notre Dame lost to #2 Alabama. It was called an upset.
    Yet it wasn't an upset. Alabama's loss to Texas A/M that year was.

When you get to that game, one team beating another is not an upset. What's upsetting you is the ass kicking Alabama took.

7. #157 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I don't need an out. Alabama had a great season and then ended it by getting our ass kicked. Clemson had a great season and played a great game to beat Alabama.

I need no excuses.

Then why have one.

8. #158 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,241 Times in 13,966 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,054 Times in 2,849 Posts

[QUOTE=Mott the Hoople;2824339]Who said anything about opening doors? I was talking about rigerous field of study. I learned more in one year of graduate work than in four years of undergraduate. The difference is exponentially harder. Ivy League schools are certainly rigerous but it’s not even remotely close to as difficult as earning a graduate degree at State U.

You’re not going to find anyone who attended graduate school, even those who did their undergraduate work at an Ivy League School Who is going to agree with you. The main distinction of attending an Ivy League School is Social. They’re not really any more difficult than a top tier public school or most accredited private liberal arts colleges.[/QUOTE

Still disagree, and I have a MS, Ivy League schools are extremely competitive, and given that their populace are generally the cream'of the crop, they are more than just "social"

9. #159 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

My son has a friend who is a "checker" at the UA. His job is to check and make sure the football players are attending class. It is a program put in by Saban. He is adamant about athletes getting their degrees.

I am not naive. I simply do not convict every athlete at every school based on what was found at a handful of schools.
    Come on, "my son has a friend," so you think your son's friend would ever tell Sabin that Tagovailoa was skipping his Bowling class?

10. #160 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Yet it wasn't an upset. Alabama's loss to Texas A/M that year was.

When you get to that game, one team beating another is not an upset. What's upsetting you is the ass kicking Alabama took.
    I'm not happy about losing. But I am not whining or complaining.

And yes, the 2013 BCS championship win was considered an upset. At least by the same sports people who called the Clemson win an upset.

11. #161 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Then why have one.
    I don't.

12. #162 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Come on, "my son has a friend," so you think your son's friend would ever tell Sabin that Tagovailoa was skipping his Bowling class?
    The "checkers" are common knowledge.

And yes, I think he would tell Saban if Tua skipped class.

13. #163 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The "checkers" are common knowledge.

And yes, I think he would tell Saban if Tua skipped class.
    Then you are naive, when was the last time Sabin, or any top ten team coach, disciplined a star player, a star player, not a defensive back with two subs ready to take his place, for academic reasons?

14. #164 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Then you are naive, when was the last time Sabin, or any top ten team coach, disciplined a star player, a star player, not a defensive back with two subs ready to take his place, for academic reasons?
    There is no NCAA rule against players skipping a class. But if his grades drop, he could be ineligible.

Saban does not release the reasons for most of his public disciplinary actions. He certainly doesn't call a press conference for chewing out a player.

15. #165 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You two are exchanging on the same theme, I'll settle it for you, Alabama is a good football team and has been for over a decade, they should be, they spend the dollars to make sure they are good

It is semi pro, the common denominator being money. Take NASCAR, they start forty cars at Daytona, but ever year the probability exists only a half dozen cars can actually win the race. A driver as David Reutimann is never going to win Daytona without accidents taking out the top ten cars. It is all about money

Same applies to college football, if you spend the big bucks you can buy yourself a good team, Alabama has been doing it for years