Thread: Univ. chancellor apologizes for "anguish" of honorary degree for conservative

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Univ. chancellor apologizes for "anguish" of honorary degree for conservative

On one hand, kudoes to Chancellor Wrighton for sticking to his guns and pointing out that the degree was for Schlafly's lifetime work and stimulation of debate, not for her particular point of view. He insisted on awarding the degree despite whines and protests - a show of spine that is increasingly rare among academics today.

On the other hand, I didn't notice him apologizing for any "anguish" caused by simultaneously giving a degree to flaming liberals like Chris Matthews. Of course, the usual liberal whiners remained silent at the award of Matthews' honorary degree, so there was no obvious "anguish" to apologize for. But it would have been a prime opportunity for the Chancellor to issue an apology for "anguish" over that award too, anyway. He could have left the whiners wondering why he considered the two awards to be so identical as to deserve twin apologies... and why they themselves were "anguished" over only one of them.

Well, 3/4 of a loaf is better than none. Overall kudoes to Wrighton.

-------------------------------------

http://www.kansascity.com/news/break...ry/620003.html

Phyllis Schlafly calls protesters “a bunch of losers”

May 15, 2008
    The Associated Press

ST. LOUIS * Washington University’s chancellor apologized Wednesday for the “anguish” caused by a decision to honor conservative activist Phyllis Schlafly at commencement this week.

But in the e-mail to university faculty, staff and students, Chancellor Mark Wrighton said that he and the Board of Trustees would fulfill their commitment to bestow an honorary degree on Schlafly during commencement Friday. “Personally, I do not endorse her views or opinions, and in many instances, I strongly disagree with them,” Wrighton wrote. He said the honorary degree is not an endorsement of Schlafly’s views or opinions, but a recognition that the 83-year-old’s life and work have sparked debate and had a broad impact on American life.

Protesting students and faculty — which Schlafly has dubbed “a bunch of losers” — have been demanding over the past week that the university rescind her honorary degree. They gathered outside Wrighton’s residence and office on Tuesday and again on Wednesday, chanting and holding signs.

Sally Goldman, who heads the university’s Association of Women Faculty, said they’re not protesting Schlafly’s views, but the university’s decision to honor them.

Schlafly, who holds a bachelor’s and law degree from Washington University, is one of six people to be honored Friday, including MSNBC host Chris Matthews and songwriter, composer and producer Quincy Jones. She is a writer and lecturer and founder of the Eagle Forum based in suburban St. Louis.

Schlafly said feminists are still angry with her for leading the successful fight against passage of the Equal Rights Amendment in the 1970s. She called feminism an ideology that preaches that women are victims.

“They’re not going to ruin my day,” she said in a phone interview. “They’re a bunch of losers.”

Schlafly said she’s a “big fan of Wash. U.” and the fifth generation of her family to attend the school. “It’s really unfortunate that this tantrum is trying to ruin the day for all these kids getting their bachelor’s degrees,” she said.
    The Constitution isn't perfect, but it's better than the system we're using now.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't protest over Phillis Sclafly getting an honorary degree, I'd shoot whoever did it in the head.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34