Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 'What’s the best advice you’ve ever received?'

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,456 Times in 2,386 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 941 Times in 861 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    Yes, McCarthyism was a significant historical event and the domino theory of falling nations led America into many hopeless ventures. Some still have this idea that America can remake the world in its image. But I grew up in those times, even enlisting during Nam, but politically I was neutral as were my parents and the people I knew. Everyone eschewed labels that divide, unlike today. I will comment on this later.

More replies required.

"Love unconditionally, laugh intentionally, live strategically, and learn daily." Hope D. Blackwell
    I think a non-political stance wasn't too difficult when real politics were verboten It wasn't advice exactly, but it taught me a great deal when Paul Robeson, the greatest American so far, wasn't even allowed out to sing at the Miners' Eisteddfod in Porthcawl and had to do it over the phone. A friend of my Father's had been a friend of his when he was here. Valleys people back then practically worshipped him for standing by us when the tories were trying to destroy us. Now they've succeeded their successors are doubtless being brainwashed into amnesia.
    Last edited by iolo; 01-13-2019 at 07:16 AM.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

It is easier to get a million people to give you a dollar, than to get one person to give you a million.......

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,121 Times in 2,441 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 265 Times in 242 Posts
    Blog Entries

I once had a pastor tell me to pick the three things that I would most like to change about the woman I was wanting to marry. The pastor wanted me to name these three things before he performed our wedding ceremony that I was asking him to perform, so I gave him my list. He then explained to me that those three things that I listed would probably never change. He said that I needed to decide if I would still marry her if those three things never changed, since they would probably never change. He said he would perform the ceremony once I agreed to those terms and accepted his advice.
    The Truth Does Not Need To Be Supported With Censorship.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Evmetro For This Post:

midcan5 (01-14-2019)

5. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,520 Times in 5,217 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,477 Times in 2,299 Posts

The best advice I ever received is "work hard, others don't"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to canceled.2021.1 For This Post:

MAGA MAN (01-14-2019)

7. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,229 Times in 809 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 176 Times in 163 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Evmetro View Post
    I once had a pastor tell me to pick the three things that I would most like to change about the woman I was wanting to marry. The pastor wanted me to name these three things before he performed our wedding ceremony that I was asking him to perform, so I gave him my list. He then explained to me that those three things that I listed would probably never change. He said that I needed to decide if I would still marry her if those three things never changed, since they would probably never change. He said he would perform the ceremony once I agreed to those terms and accepted his advice.
    That is fascinating. It is funny you knew three things before the big day. Makes me think back to our marriage, now in its forty seventh year.

I love, Great that you work hard others do too. Any other thoughts?

Postmodern, that is true but is it advice or wisdom? Any other thoughts.

"Never ruin an apology with an excuse.” Benjamin Franklin
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to midcan5 For This Post:

evince (01-28-2019), Phantasmal (01-14-2019)

9. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Surely there are more deep thoughts out there? The question is a hard one for many as we are told so much in life. If you can think of none then give us your advice to a son daughter friend.

"Rule of life. If you bother to ask someone’s advice, then bother to listen to it.” Sophie Kinsella

"There are no foolish questions and no man becomes a fool until he has stopped asking questions.” Charles Steinmetz

"Go wisely and slowly. Those who rush stumble and fall." William Shakespeare
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

10. The Following User Says Thank You to midcan5 For This Post:

evince (01-28-2019)

11. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

A piece of advice from the Bible I always appreciated, and with which I used to infuriate my (parson) Father was, as I recollect. 'Let not the sun go down upon thy wrath, lest there should be no awakening'. It is the best advice I ever got, whatever.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iolo For This Post:

evince (01-28-2019), midcan5 (01-18-2019)

13. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by iolo View Post
    A piece of advice from the Bible I always appreciated, and with which I used to infuriate my (parson) Father was, as I recollect. 'Let not the sun go down upon thy wrath, lest there should be no awakening'. It is the best advice I ever got, whatever.
    Good one.

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned." Buddha

14. The Following User Says Thank You to midcan5 For This Post:

evince (01-28-2019)

15. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I hate to clog up up APP with threads as few are read so then this thread is still open to advice but how about 'my personal motto is' Any takers?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to midcan5 For This Post:

evince (01-28-2019)

17. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

No personal mottoes? Put on your thinking cap.

"Friendship will not stand the strain of very much good advice for very long." Robert Staughton Lynd

"Advice is like snow - the softer it falls, the longer it dwells upon, and the deeper it sinks into the mind." Samuel Taylor Coleridge

"Advice is what we ask for when we know the answer but wish we didn’t." Erica Jong

18. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

No personal mottoes? Put on your thinking cap.

"Friendship will not stand the strain of very much good advice for very long." Robert Staughton Lynd

"Advice is like snow - the softer it falls, the longer it dwells upon, and the deeper it sinks into the mind." Samuel Taylor Coleridge

"Advice is what we ask for when we know the answer but wish we didn’t." Erica Jong
    My motto: Gobeithiaw y ddaw ydd wyf - I am in hopes of what is to come - from an old poem: we wouldn't spell it like that now.

19. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,419 Times in 7,538 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 270 Times in 253 Posts
    Blog Entries

An interesting question.
    Thought provoking.
    It's easy for me to come up with bad advice I received because I got a lot of that. I just didn't get much good advice although "perseverance" comes to mind.
    Life for me has been a lot of trial and error and learning from mistakes.
    If I (present) were a mentor to myself (past) I could provide a ton of wisdom that I never received.

Do you ever think "If I could be 14 (or 17, or pick an age) again I'd take a different path" ? An old friend and I have that conversation occasionally.
    But overall I came out ok in spite of myself.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to anonymoose For This Post:

midcan5 (01-28-2019)

21. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
    Thought provoking.
    It's easy for me to come up with bad advice I received because I got a lot of that. I just didn't get much good advice although "perseverance" comes to mind.
    If I (present) were a mentor to myself (past) I could provide a ton of wisdom that I never received.

Do you ever think "If I could be 14 (or 17, or pick an age) again I'd take a different path" ? An old friend and I have that conversation occasionally.
    I think almost all of us, if we could go back to an earlier time, would choose differently. For my money, though, it would probably come out worse!

22. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
    Thought provoking.

Interesting comments. And as iolo noted maybe it would be worse? If all is fine now, maybe it was the right path. While I hate to say it I often think luck sometime helps, some of the choices I made hesitantly turned out to open up great opportunity and we have had a good life.

"One's philosophy is not best expressed in words; it is expressed in the choices one makes... and the choices we make are ultimately our responsibility." Eleanor Roosevelt

23. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

Watch the pennies and the dollars take care of themselves
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.