1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,879 Times in 6,106 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 594 Times in 580 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default The greatest trick Donald Trump ever pulled

January 7, 2019

Donald Trump has done a lot of unprecedented things since he started running for president in June 2015. He's attacked prisoners of war.

He's bullied just about everyone in the world of politics. He's downplayed the white supremacist violence that led to a woman's death in Charlottesville, Virginia. He's said thousands, literally, of things that are not true.

But the most amazing trick Trump has pulled as a politician -- and now as president -- is to convince lower-middle class, predominantly white voters that he is one of them.

I was reminded of that trick on Sunday when Trump was asked whether he can relate to federal workers not being paid due to the ongoing government shutdown. Here's how the President responded:

"I can relate, and I'm sure that the people that are on the receiving end will make adjustments, they always do, and they'll make adjustments. People understand exactly what's going on. But many of those people that won't be receiving a paycheck, many of those people agree 100% with what I'm doing."
    "I can relate."

Let's explore that idea.

Donald Trump was born into a wealthy family. His father, Fred Trump, was a well-to-do developer in New York City. Sometime soon after Trump graduated from business school, his father loaned him $1 million to get him started in the business world.

At a town hall in 2015, Trump described the loan this way: "My whole life really has been a 'no,' and I fought through it. It has not been easy for me, it has not been easy for me. And you know I started off in Brooklyn, my father gave me a small loan of a million dollars."

Assuming that loan came in 1968 -- the year Trump graduated from Penn -- it would be the equivalent of an almost $7 million loan today. And as The New York Times revealed in a stunning piece last year, the actual amount of money that Trump reaped from his father was well in excess of $1 million. Try more than $400 million -- at least some of which came as the result of very questionable tax dodges and schemes.

Wealth aside, Trump is not exactly the average Joe. He was raised in New York City and, with the exception of his resort in Florida, has never lived outside the city. He went to private schools through high school. He dated models and actresses. He starred in a reality TV series for more than a decade.

And yet, Trump somehow, in the course of the 2016 campaign, effectively convinced a decent chunk of voters -- especially in the Midwest hollowed out by manufacturing losses -- that he and he alone understood the challenges they faced in life. Time after time, at rally after rally, attendees would tell the a that Trump got them -- that he effectively channeled their frustrations, their anger and their hopes.

They said these things even as Trump was regularly touting signs of his wealth, his elite education, his differences. Then they voted for him.

Trump won 71% among white men without a college education, according to exit polling. He took 61% among non-college educated white women. Trump won 51% of voters whose highest level of education was high school and a similar 51% of those who had attended some college but not graduated. By contrast, Trump took just 37% among voters with some sort of postgraduate degree -- like him.

Since being elected President, Trump has kept up the I'm-just like-you drumbeat. At a campaign rally in North Dakota last fall, he said this:

"I meet these people they call them 'the elite.' These people. I look at them, I say, 'That's elite?' We got more money, we got more brains, we got better houses, apartments, we got nicer boats, we're smarter than they are, and they say they're elite? We're the elite. You're the elite. We're the elite."

What's remarkable about all of that is that people cheered wildly after Trump said it. Trump may have more money and "better houses" and "nicer" boats than the people he is calling elites. But the average person in the crowd in North Dakota has neither multiple houses nor a boat. They know that Trump does have these things -- he talks about them incessantly -- and yet, somehow, they believe him to be one of them.

Why? My educated guess is because, for Trump's supporters, it's less about the President's actual background -- which is elite in every sense of the word -- and more about who he is now. He tells it like it is! He sticks it to these self-satisfied elites!

And I tend to believe that Trump's wealth and background actually make him more credible with these voters because he was one of those elites but is now running them down. He's turned on the elites, and they can't deal with it! Or something like that.

Donald Trump considers himself the world's greatest deal-maker -- a salesman extraordinaire. Perhaps the greatest sale he's ever made is the idea that he is a man of the people. It's the sale that made him the President.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/07/polit...own/index.html
    He who is the author of a war lets loose the whole contagion of hell and opens a vein that bleeds a nation to death. Thomas Paine

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kudzu For This Post:

Althea (01-08-2019), CharacterAssassin (01-08-2019), christiefan915 (01-08-2019), Cypress (01-08-2019), Phantasmal (01-08-2019), ThatOwlWoman (01-08-2019)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

(Sidebar: Education is not a perfect stand-in for socioeconomic class. But there is no breakdown in the exit polling that better -- through history -- has lined up with how middle class, and lower-middle class, voters tend to think and vote than education level.)
    He who is the author of a war lets loose the whole contagion of hell and opens a vein that bleeds a nation to death. Thomas Paine

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,185 Times in 7,629 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,051 Times in 998 Posts

Trump is a stupid individual...and will say anything that comes to mind with no concern about truth at all.

Most of what comes out of his mouth...is pure lies...and the rest is simply wrong because of his stupidity.

There are moments where I pity him.

They are becoming rarer and rarer...as he continues to foment chaos in our nation and the world.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Frank Apisa For This Post:

Althea (01-08-2019), CharacterAssassin (01-08-2019), Mason Michaels (01-08-2019), Phantasmal (01-08-2019), ThatOwlWoman (01-08-2019)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    Trump is a stupid individual...and will say anything that comes to mind with no concern about truth at all.

Most of what comes out of his mouth...is pure lies...and the rest is simply wrong because of his stupidity.

They are becoming rarer and rarer...as he continues to foment chaos in our nation and the world.

At the link.. they have interviewed people who work for the Park Service. They can't pay their mortgage or their child care..

Trump is LYING again about how government employees support his shut down.

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,416 Times in 16,405 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,433 Times in 1,355 Posts
    Blog Entries

Easy fix to the crisis, but....(Dems voted for physical structures before....hmmmm....what's changed?)

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    Easy fix to the crisis, but....(Dems voted for physical structures before....hmmmm....what's changed?)
    Show us a plan and a price tag.

Poor, poor Donald.. It hasn't bee easy for him............

At a town hall in 2015, Trump described the loan this way: "My whole life really has been a 'no,' and I fought through it. It has not been easy for me, it has not been easy for me. And you know I started off in Brooklyn, my father gave me a small loan of a million dollars."

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kudzu For This Post:

christiefan915 (01-08-2019), Phantasmal (01-08-2019), ThatOwlWoman (01-08-2019)

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kudzu View Post
    Show us a plan and a price tag.

Poor, poor Donald.. It hasn't bee easy for him............

Why do the Democrats put americans last?

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,753 Times in 33,623 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

January 7, 2019

Donald Trump has done a lot of unprecedented things since he started running for president in June 2015. He's attacked prisoners of war.

He's bullied just about everyone in the world of politics. He's downplayed the white supremacist violence that led to a woman's death in Charlottesville, Virginia. He's said thousands, literally, of things that are not true.

But the most amazing trick Trump has pulled as a politician -- and now as president -- is to convince lower-middle class, predominantly white voters that he is one of them.

I was reminded of that trick on Sunday when Trump was asked whether he can relate to federal workers not being paid due to the ongoing government shutdown. Here's how the President responded:

"I can relate, and I'm sure that the people that are on the receiving end will make adjustments, they always do, and they'll make adjustments. People understand exactly what's going on. But many of those people that won't be receiving a paycheck, many of those people agree 100% with what I'm doing."
    "I can relate."

Let's explore that idea.

Donald Trump was born into a wealthy family. His father, Fred Trump, was a well-to-do developer in New York City. Sometime soon after Trump graduated from business school, his father loaned him $1 million to get him started in the business world.

Assuming that loan came in 1968 -- the year Trump graduated from Penn -- it would be the equivalent of an almost $7 million loan today. And as The New York Times revealed in a stunning piece last year, the actual amount of money that Trump reaped from his father was well in excess of $1 million. Try more than $400 million -- at least some of which came as the result of very questionable tax dodges and schemes.

Wealth aside, Trump is not exactly the average Joe. He was raised in New York City and, with the exception of his resort in Florida, has never lived outside the city. He went to private schools through high school. He dated models and actresses. He starred in a reality TV series for more than a decade.

And yet, Trump somehow, in the course of the 2016 campaign, effectively convinced a decent chunk of voters -- especially in the Midwest hollowed out by manufacturing losses -- that he and he alone understood the challenges they faced in life. Time after time, at rally after rally, attendees would tell the a that Trump got them -- that he effectively channeled their frustrations, their anger and their hopes.

They said these things even as Trump was regularly touting signs of his wealth, his elite education, his differences. Then they voted for him.

Trump won 71% among white men without a college education, according to exit polling. He took 61% among non-college educated white women. Trump won 51% of voters whose highest level of education was high school and a similar 51% of those who had attended some college but not graduated. By contrast, Trump took just 37% among voters with some sort of postgraduate degree -- like him.

Since being elected President, Trump has kept up the I'm-just like-you drumbeat. At a campaign rally in North Dakota last fall, he said this:

"I meet these people they call them 'the elite.' These people. I look at them, I say, 'That's elite?' We got more money, we got more brains, we got better houses, apartments, we got nicer boats, we're smarter than they are, and they say they're elite? We're the elite. You're the elite. We're the elite."

What's remarkable about all of that is that people cheered wildly after Trump said it. Trump may have more money and "better houses" and "nicer" boats than the people he is calling elites. But the average person in the crowd in North Dakota has neither multiple houses nor a boat. They know that Trump does have these things -- he talks about them incessantly -- and yet, somehow, they believe him to be one of them.

Why? My educated guess is because, for Trump's supporters, it's less about the President's actual background -- which is elite in every sense of the word -- and more about who he is now. He tells it like it is! He sticks it to these self-satisfied elites!

And I tend to believe that Trump's wealth and background actually make him more credible with these voters because he was one of those elites but is now running them down. He's turned on the elites, and they can't deal with it! Or something like that.

Donald Trump considers himself the world's greatest deal-maker -- a salesman extraordinaire. Perhaps the greatest sale he's ever made is the idea that he is a man of the people. It's the sale that made him the President.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/07/polit...own/index.html
    He won’t even go down and walk amongst his crowds. He rarely meets with his constituents. He feels superior to them. I’ve never understood how they felt he was one of them.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

christiefan915 (01-08-2019), Frank Apisa (01-08-2019), ThatOwlWoman (01-08-2019)

13. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,916 Times in 6,548 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,882 Times in 1,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Did American voters think that during the last mid term election? The GOP was soundly and convincingly defeated.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to floridafan For This Post:

Mason Michaels (01-08-2019), ThatOwlWoman (01-08-2019)

15. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Bush and Obama increased Border Patrol Agents to 21,000.. There is NO crisis.. Trump is lying, exaggerating and fear mongering.

Sanders said they stopped 4,000 terrorists at the border.. Total LIE.. They stopped 4,000 terrorists at AIRPORTS.

The terrorist stopped at airports were on a watch list from US Intelligence services.. The same intelligence services that Trump has trashed.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kudzu For This Post:

Althea (01-08-2019), christiefan915 (01-08-2019), Phantasmal (01-08-2019), ThatOwlWoman (01-08-2019)

17. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    He won’t even go down and walk amongst his crowds. He rarely meets with his constituents. He feels superior to them. I’ve never understood how they felt he was one of them.
    He thinks the American people are all "suckers"......

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kudzu For This Post:

Mason Michaels (01-08-2019), Phantasmal (01-08-2019), ThatOwlWoman (01-08-2019)

19. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Bush and Obama increased Border Patrol Agents to 21,000.. There is NO crisis.. Trump is lying, exaggerating and fear mongering.

Sanders said they stopped 4,000 terrorists at the border.. Total LIE.. They stopped 4,000 terrorists at AIRPORTS.

The terrorist stopped at airports were on a watch list from US Intelligence services.. The same intelligence services that Trump has trashed.
    They all are trying to deceive the simple minded folks, guess what, it’s working.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (01-08-2019)

21. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

He thinks the American people are all "suckers"......
    Not all, but there are about 38% that are.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

kudzu (01-08-2019), Rune (01-08-2019)

23. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,734 Times in 14,330 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,387 Times in 1,305 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post

Remember the mantra on Nov. 7, when most of us knew that this was the path our country would be heading?

"Give him a chance".

Are we there yet?
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Althea For This Post:

Frank Apisa (01-08-2019), ThatOwlWoman (01-08-2019)

25. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by floridafan View Post
    Did American voters think that during the last mid term election? The GOP was soundly and convincingly defeated.
    Yes, they did....the hate for the President is strong from that bunch*...look who they put in office...lol They're thinking twice about that now....