Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: The greatest trick Donald Trump ever pulled

1. #91 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by reagansghost View Post
    just how old, white, bitter and racist are you btw?
    Unlike you, old enough and smart enough to know better than to consider skin color a qualification. Pucker up, n-lover.

2. #92 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 41 Times in 41 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kudzu View Post
    January 7, 2019

Donald Trump has done a lot of unprecedented things since he started running for president in June 2015. He's attacked prisoners of war.

He's bullied just about everyone in the world of politics. He's downplayed the white supremacist violence that led to a woman's death in Charlottesville, Virginia. He's said thousands, literally, of things that are not true.

But the most amazing trick Trump has pulled as a politician -- and now as president -- is to convince lower-middle class, predominantly white voters that he is one of them.

I was reminded of that trick on Sunday when Trump was asked whether he can relate to federal workers not being paid due to the ongoing government shutdown. Here's how the President responded:

"I can relate, and I'm sure that the people that are on the receiving end will make adjustments, they always do, and they'll make adjustments. People understand exactly what's going on. But many of those people that won't be receiving a paycheck, many of those people agree 100% with what I'm doing."
    "I can relate."

Let's explore that idea.

Donald Trump was born into a wealthy family. His father, Fred Trump, was a well-to-do developer in New York City. Sometime soon after Trump graduated from business school, his father loaned him $1 million to get him started in the business world.

At a town hall in 2015, Trump described the loan this way: "My whole life really has been a 'no,' and I fought through it. It has not been easy for me, it has not been easy for me. And you know I started off in Brooklyn, my father gave me a small loan of a million dollars."

Assuming that loan came in 1968 -- the year Trump graduated from Penn -- it would be the equivalent of an almost $7 million loan today. And as The New York Times revealed in a stunning piece last year, the actual amount of money that Trump reaped from his father was well in excess of $1 million. Try more than $400 million -- at least some of which came as the result of very questionable tax dodges and schemes.

Wealth aside, Trump is not exactly the average Joe. He was raised in New York City and, with the exception of his resort in Florida, has never lived outside the city. He went to private schools through high school. He dated models and actresses. He starred in a reality TV series for more than a decade.

And yet, Trump somehow, in the course of the 2016 campaign, effectively convinced a decent chunk of voters -- especially in the Midwest hollowed out by manufacturing losses -- that he and he alone understood the challenges they faced in life. Time after time, at rally after rally, attendees would tell the a that Trump got them -- that he effectively channeled their frustrations, their anger and their hopes.

They said these things even as Trump was regularly touting signs of his wealth, his elite education, his differences. Then they voted for him.

Trump won 71% among white men without a college education, according to exit polling. He took 61% among non-college educated white women. Trump won 51% of voters whose highest level of education was high school and a similar 51% of those who had attended some college but not graduated. By contrast, Trump took just 37% among voters with some sort of postgraduate degree -- like him.

Since being elected President, Trump has kept up the I'm-just like-you drumbeat. At a campaign rally in North Dakota last fall, he said this:

"I meet these people they call them 'the elite.' These people. I look at them, I say, 'That's elite?' We got more money, we got more brains, we got better houses, apartments, we got nicer boats, we're smarter than they are, and they say they're elite? We're the elite. You're the elite. We're the elite."

What's remarkable about all of that is that people cheered wildly after Trump said it. Trump may have more money and "better houses" and "nicer" boats than the people he is calling elites. But the average person in the crowd in North Dakota has neither multiple houses nor a boat. They know that Trump does have these things -- he talks about them incessantly -- and yet, somehow, they believe him to be one of them.

Why? My educated guess is because, for Trump's supporters, it's less about the President's actual background -- which is elite in every sense of the word -- and more about who he is now. He tells it like it is! He sticks it to these self-satisfied elites!

And I tend to believe that Trump's wealth and background actually make him more credible with these voters because he was one of those elites but is now running them down. He's turned on the elites, and they can't deal with it! Or something like that.

Donald Trump considers himself the world's greatest deal-maker -- a salesman extraordinaire. Perhaps the greatest sale he's ever made is the idea that he is a man of the people. It's the sale that made him the President.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/07/polit...own/index.html
    "Trump has said things I don't like".

If you guys took a break from the word and thought policing, you might find that things are going pretty good.
    The anti-Trumper's new mantra:

“B-b-but muh White supremacy”

3. #93 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,879 Times in 6,106 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 594 Times in 580 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Heff View Post
    "Trump has said things I don't like".

If you guys took a break from the word and thought policing, you might find that things are going pretty good.
    That's what Gary Cohn of Goldman Sachs told Trump in late November 2016.. The economy was in pretty good shape and growing. Trump wanted to print money.
    He who is the author of a war lets loose the whole contagion of hell and opens a vein that bleeds a nation to death. Thomas Paine

4. #94 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

That's what Gary Cohn of Goldman Sachs told Trump in late November 2016.. The economy was in pretty good shape and growing. Trump wanted to print money.
    Oh, Trump said something else? Might have to write another CNN article on it.

5. #95 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,186 Times in 25,721 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,614 Times in 2,498 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    Why not? They don't love americans...why is that?
    You're such a simple thinker. You're embarrassing yourself here.

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
    ― Charles Dickens

6. The Following User Says Thank You to christiefan915 For This Post:

evince (01-08-2019)

7. #96 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Oh, Trump said something else? Might have to write another CNN article on it.
    Its all been written.. There were several people in the meeting.. Trump is dumb as a post. In college he didn't go to class, didn't attend lectures.. He was a c- student.
    He who is the author of a war lets loose the whole contagion of hell and opens a vein that bleeds a nation to death. Thomas Paine

8. #97 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Its all been written.. There were several people in the meeting.. Trump is dumb as a post. In college he didn't go to class, didn't attend lectures.. He was a c- student.
    And he's still doing a better job than any Ivy-League Lawyer or technocrat we've tried to elect until now.

9. #98 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

And he's still doing a better job than any Ivy-League Lawyer or technocrat we've tried to elect until now.
    Trump keeps telling you how wonderful he is...... There's a difference.

10. #99 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Trump keeps telling you how wonderful he is...... There's a difference.
    I'm talking about the results of his presidency, not him. There is a difference.

11. #100 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

But the most amazing trick Trump has pulled as a politician -- and now as president -- is to convince lower-middle class, predominantly white voters that he is one of them

That's not even a new trick. Thomas Jefferson accomplished the same feat. Especially in the face of poor-born rivals like Adams and Hamilton (the latter of which was born into abject poverty and social marginalization).

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Minister of Truth For This Post:

kudzu (01-08-2019)

13. #101 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I'm talking about the results of his presidency, not him. There is a difference.
    His results are mostly about him bragging and taking credit for 8 years of hard work to bring the economy BACK after the dotcom bubble and the following 8 years of the Bush administration.

14. #102 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Threedee View Post
    That's not even a new trick. Thomas Jefferson accomplished the same feat. Especially in the face of poor-born rivals like Adams and Hamilton (the latter of which was born into abject poverty and social marginalization).
    Except Jefferson was a smart man and a patriot.. Have you read his correspondence?

15. #103 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

16. #104 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Threedee View Post
    Jefferson was briefly investigated for abandoning his post as governor of Virginia in 1781. At the time, this would have been viewed as a serious offense.
    Please don't tell me you are comparing Jefferson to Trump?

17. #105 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans