Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, The Anonymous, USFREEDOM911, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Legion Troll, Boris The Animal, Niche Political Commentor, canceled.2021.2, J Craft, MAGA MAN, Darth Omar, CFM, DBCooper, Life is Golden, chink, RB 60, PraiseKek, TOP, excommunicated, AnnieOakley, Tommatthews, Q-Tip, volsrock, Grugore, Rob Larrikin, BodyDouble, ptif219, Loving91390, fandango, United76America, Into the Night, Tkaffen, gfm7175, Enlightened One, Anarchon and Proud Boy

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: World's greatest churches

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

"There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Hagia Sophia has not been a Christian church for over 500 years, and what you see in the interior today is probably re-decoration ordered by the Sultan of the Ottoman Empire in the 19th century.

The classical Byzantine architectural elements - which I think are beautiful and stunning - speak to the church's origins as the the patriarchal cathedral of Eastern Orthodoxy. I do not think Jesus would become irate at beautiful stonework, impressive engineering, and glorious architectural designs.

While I agree with you that Jesus might not appreciate ostentatious displays of treasure and bling, I cannot say I have ever seen jewel-encrusted statues, idols of solid gold, or piles of rubies, diamonds, and emeralds in any Orthodox or Catholic church I have ever been in. I do not think Jesus would be outraged by paintings, symbolic sculpture, floral arrangements, or beautifully rendered crosses and stained glass.

Russian icons are just blocks of wood, painstakingly painted with religious themes by skilled artisans. That is fairly pure and simple when you really think about it.
    I think there are two different issues at play here.

1. Architecture.
    2. Religion.

No one can argue that these 'Pyramids of Europe' aren't gorgeous examples of what Man can dream up and build.
    Once the Bible was translated into the language of the Locals, the Protestant Movement was created. The Roman Church was seen as a scam, with these 'Monuments to Jesus' as prime examples.

As an Agnostic, I can appreciate the architecture just for the architecture.
    As an Agnostic, I can sympathize with the Locals as they read the Bible in their own language and realized they were duped by the Clergy Class, the High Priests of the Day.

3. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,284 Times in 27,093 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I think there are two different issues at play here.

1. Architecture.
    2. Religion.

No one can argue that these 'Pyramids of Europe' aren't gorgeous examples of what Man can dream up and build.
    Once the Bible was translated into the language of the Locals, the Protestant Movement was created. The Roman Church was seen as a scam, with these 'Monuments to Jesus' as prime examples.

As an Agnostic, I can appreciate the architecture just for the architecture.
    As an Agnostic, I can sympathize with the Locals as they read the Bible in their own language and realized they were duped by the Clergy Class, the High Priests of the Day.
    I do not begrudge anyone who thinks that religion and spirituality should be pure and simple.

I used to attend Quaker meetings. Folding metal chairs and a simple room. Completely spartan and devoid of any aesthetic enhancement.

And that was all perfectly fine with me.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Jack (06-17-2019)

5. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

I do not begrudge anyone who thinks that religion and spirituality should be pure and simple.

I used to attend Quaker meetings. Folding metal chairs and a simple room. Completely spartan and devoid of any aesthetic enhancement.

And that was all perfectly fine with me.
    Cypress: "I do not begrudge anyone who thinks that religion and spirituality should be pure and simple."
    Jack: I would guess every Cult is different. My impression was that the Christian Cult preached a simple lifestyle, one that was more 'spiritual' than 'materialistic'. The vast quantities of monies that went into these 'Shrines for Jesus' probably put the Peasant Class into cardiac arrest once they found out what the Bible really said. Somewhat amusing. Reminds me of the TV Evangelists with their private jets.

Cypress: "I used to attend Quaker meetings. Folding metal chairs and a simple room. Completely spartan and devoid of any aesthetic enhancement."
    Jack: Probably closer to 'the life of Jesus' and His lifestyle, in my opinion. (I don't belong to the Christian Cult, so I'm not endorsing either)

6. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I wasn't there, I'll take your word for it.
    You take your impression from the same source that describes it. Our presense was not required for that.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

7. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post

Beauty, eh?

I am much obliged for that vision of architectural, spiritual, and aesthetic beauty!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Bill (06-18-2019)

9. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

According to Dr. William R. Cook, Professor of Religious History at SUNY Geneseo, these are the world's greatest churches.
    My favorite is Hagia Sophia.

The Church of the Holy Sepulchre
    Hagia Sophia
    The Cave Churches of Cappadocia
    The Rock-Hewn Churches of Ethiopia
    The Mosque-Cathedral of Córdoba
    The Stave Churches of Norway
    The Pilgrimage Church of Sainte-Foy
    The Cathedral of Monreale
    Chartres Cathedral
    Winchester Cathedral
    The Cathedral of Siena
    St. Peter’s Basilica
    The Wieskirche in Bavaria
    La Compañía and Las Lajas Sanctuary
    Guadalupe and the Cathedral of Mexico City
    La Sagrada Família
    Iceland’s Hallgrímskirkja

Hagia Sophia
    You forgot Bubba's Bar & Grill & Baptist Church in Hoxie, Arkansas. (I kid you not that was a real church. LOL)
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

anonymoose (06-20-2019), Cypress (06-20-2019), midcan5 (06-29-2019)

11. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,173 Times in 10,391 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,876 Times in 4,194 Posts
    Blog Entries

This is my favorite church. BTW, the waterfall and pool are natural hot springs.

JJohnson.jpg

12. The Following User Says Thank You to domer76 For This Post:

Bill (06-29-2019)

13. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 6,202 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 493 Times in 469 Posts
    Blog Entries

This is a Catholic church in Massillon, Ohio. St. Mary's. As you're travelling down State Route 21 South, it looms on the horizon like a Gothic Castle. I have always admired the building, though sadly have never been inside, I now regret that, and will make an effort to see it, maybe even attend mass, though I am not Catholic.

Every life matters

14. The Following User Says Thank You to countryboy For This Post:

Bill (06-29-2019)

15. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    This is a Catholic church in Massillon, Ohio. St. Mary's. As you're travelling down State Route 21 South, it looms on the horizon like a Gothic Castle. I have always admired the building, though sadly have never been inside, I now regret that, and will make an effort to see it, maybe even attend mass, though I am not Catholic.

That is remarkable.
    I am not Catholic either, but I enjoy visiting those old, Gothic catholic churches simply to admire their architecture, stained glass, aesthetic qualities, and frankly just the feeling of serenity I feel when I am in them.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Bill (06-29-2019), countryboy (06-29-2019)

17. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,229 Times in 809 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 176 Times in 163 Posts

Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris and La Sagrada Familia impressed me. I liked being in the spot where Quasimodo lived in the movie version of Hugo's book. As a child the movie impressed me.
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

18. The Following User Says Thank You to midcan5 For This Post:

Cypress (06-30-2019)

19. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 6,202 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 493 Times in 469 Posts
    Blog Entries

That is remarkable.
    I am not Catholic either, but I enjoy visiting those old, Gothic catholic churches simply to admire their architecture, stained glass, aesthetic qualities, and frankly just the feeling of serenity I feel when I am in them.
    I grew up Catholic, and have always felt that sense of serenity you describe, whether inside a majestic church like St. Mary's, or a small neighborhood chapel like the one we attended as kids.
    Every life matters

20. The Following User Says Thank You to countryboy For This Post:

Cypress (06-30-2019)

21. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    I grew up Catholic, and have always felt that sense of serenity you describe, whether inside a majestic church like St. Mary's, or a small neighborhood chapel like the one we attended as kids.
    I know exactly what you mean. Even a simple Quaker meeting house gives me a sense that it is a place of calm and respite.

Religious art, architecture, and religious aesthetics, for some reason, universally give me a sense of serenity. And these are just a few visceral images from my life that gave me that perceptible sense of tranquility.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Bill (07-01-2019), countryboy (07-01-2019), dukkha (07-01-2019)

23. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Beautiful
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

24. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,039 Times in 2,191 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 603 Times in 570 Posts

In contrast to not so great churches of course!