Members banned from this thread: AssHatZombie, SmarterthanYou, USFREEDOM911, Havana Moon, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Granule, I Love America, Boris The Animal, Teflon Don, Dark Soul, Irish, CFM, Ralph, Sailor, America First Abrams, Bigdog, TTQ64, Getin the ring, zymurgy, Superfreak, PraiseKek, Grumpy, katzgar, countryboy, Tommatthews, volsrock, The Ugly Truth, BodyDouble, coolzone, rhym3pays, LV426, Loving91390, Into the Night, Enlightened One, Anarchon and Arminius


Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 46

Thread: Alaska's Universal Basic Income, Supported By Liberals and Conservatives Under Attack

  1. #31 | Top
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    7,892
    Thanks
    733
    Thanked 2,954 Times in 2,234 Posts
    Groans
    371
    Groaned 227 Times in 208 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Kacper,



    My figure is not substantiated. It was a guess. What is the source for your '6 out of 7' figure?
    I looked at the population of Alaska and subtracted the number of people who got checks last year. I know math is analog and all, but it still works so why replace it.

  2. #32 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,669
    Thanks
    2,446
    Thanked 2,574 Times in 1,671 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 190 Times in 174 Posts

    Default

    Hello distraff,

    Quote Originally Posted by distraff View Post
    What about we only start doing a universal basic income when the robots are actually taking away jobs? Unemployment is at 3.7% and there is a high demand for labor. The percent of the population employed is below the 90s and pre-recession levels, but it is recovering and still above the 80s and before (because of women entering working force), and we have a lot more older retired people.

    We can start with requiring employers to pay workers time and a half pay for all work past 40 hours. This will encourage them to hire more workers. We can also work to fill the 5 million jobs skills gap and no longer need to import skilled labor from other countries.
    There are not currently good well-paying jobs for everybody. Most jobs have been downsized and benefits stripped away. The BLS counts someone as 'employed' if they work one hour per week. Who can live on that? Many jobs are part time, temporary, no benefits. Many American workers cannot survive on their pay; and qualify for and receive government assistance, even as they work. American taxpayers put food on the table of Walmart workers.

    We can't wait until all the jobs are replaced by automation. That is already happening, will ramp up, and so is/will demand for government assistance (be) rising.

    At some point, we have to realize that all those government assistance agencies, and all that huge big government bureaucracy, could be replaced by one far lower overhead system, which instead of spinning so many wheels to decide eligibility, simply hands out money instead with few requirements. And makes government smaller. The money goes into circulation, and the economy sings along. We would be far better situated to do this proactively rather than waiting until it is a big problem and/or causes a recession/depression before we act.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Flame on me, mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you go on my PERMANENT Ignore List. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I won't participate in your threads, you will be banned from mine. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: if you like my PIP, feel free to use it. It works well.

  3. #33 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    1,504
    Thanks
    472
    Thanked 836 Times in 589 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 42 Times in 38 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello anonymoose,



    Panhandling or panning?
    lol That too.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to anonymoose For This Post:

    PoliTalker (01-11-2019)

  5. #34 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,669
    Thanks
    2,446
    Thanked 2,574 Times in 1,671 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 190 Times in 174 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kacper View Post
    I looked at the population of Alaska and subtracted the number of people who got checks last year. I know math is analog and all, but it still works so why replace it.
    I love math. You can drop your guard with me. There is no reason to be snippy. I have not suggested replacing math. Thanks for letting me know how you arrived at your figure. The PFD is only paid out to Alaskans who stay there for at least a year. The 1/7 probably represents temporary non-citizens of Alaska there for whatever reason.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Flame on me, mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you go on my PERMANENT Ignore List. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I won't participate in your threads, you will be banned from mine. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: if you like my PIP, feel free to use it. It works well.

  6. #35 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    87
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello distraff,



    There are not currently good well-paying jobs for everybody. Most jobs have been downsized and benefits stripped away. The BLS counts someone as 'employed' if they work one hour per week. Who can live on that? Many jobs are part time, temporary, no benefits. Many American workers cannot survive on their pay; and qualify for and receive government assistance, even as they work. American taxpayers put food on the table of Walmart workers.

    We can't wait until all the jobs are replaced by automation. That is already happening, will ramp up, and so is/will demand for government assistance (be) rising.

    At some point, we have to realize that all those government assistance agencies, and all that huge big government bureaucracy, could be replaced by one far lower overhead system, which instead of spinning so many wheels to decide eligibility, simply hands out money instead with few requirements. And makes government smaller. The money goes into circulation, and the economy sings along. We would be far better situated to do this proactively rather than waiting until it is a big problem and/or causes a recession/depression before we act.
    Yes, there aren't enough good paying jobs for everyone, but that has always been the case. Yes, some jobs have been downsized, part time and benefits reduced, but other good jobs have been created as well, and there have always been jobs with bad benefits. Yes, the unemployment measure has problems, but the U6 unemployment factors in the underemployed and discouraged workers and its only 7.6%, and is almost at the record low in 2000 at 7.3%. You have pointed out legitimate problems with our economy but these have always been problems and you have not shown that they haven't gotten worse, and that automation, instead of outsourcing or the skills gap is the cause.

    Lets not tax away the middle class which is already burdened by rising costs and high taxes and is struggling to survive, in order to pay for a universal basic income. We already have too many takers who leach out of those of us who actually go out and work. A basic income will encourage millions to just live off a basic income and not work instead of working hard and getting an education.

    lets make sure that everyone can easily get an affordable education in in-demand skills, and that kids actually learn valuable life skills in primary education, and that secondary education is focused solely on marketable career skills. Lets create 5 million new great jobs to fill the skills gap. Lets make sure that businesses, especially small business aren't hampered by over-taxation and over-regulation, so they actually have a chance to create jobs. Lets eliminate the trade deficit and bring back the millions of jobs moved overseas. Lets cut the military budget and wasteful welfare and spending for thousands of programs and red tape, and cut and simplify taxes for workers. Lets impose overtime pay requirements to encourage businesses to hire more workers.

    And we need some liberal reforms too. Lets require that the wealthy pay more in taxes and these taxes actually benefit everything financially (universal healthcare, education, social security). Lets impose limitations on monopolies and make sure that employees and customers have protections from corporations.

  7. #36 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    11,273
    Thanks
    5,357
    Thanked 5,183 Times in 3,316 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 346 Times in 334 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by distraff View Post
    Yes, there aren't enough good paying jobs for everyone, but that has always been the case. Yes, some jobs have been downsized, part time and benefits reduced, but other good jobs have been created as well, and there have always been jobs with bad benefits. Yes, the unemployment measure has problems, but the U6 unemployment factors in the underemployed and discouraged workers and its only 7.6%, and is almost at the record low in 2000 at 7.3%. You have pointed out legitimate problems with our economy but these have always been problems and you have not shown that they haven't gotten worse, and that automation, instead of outsourcing or the skills gap is the cause.

    Lets not tax away the middle class which is already burdened by rising costs and high taxes and is struggling to survive, in order to pay for a universal basic income. We already have too many takers who leach out of those of us who actually go out and work. A basic income will encourage millions to just live off a basic income and not work instead of working hard and getting an education.

    lets make sure that everyone can easily get an affordable education in in-demand skills, and that kids actually learn valuable life skills in primary education, and that secondary education is focused solely on marketable career skills. Lets create 5 million new great jobs to fill the skills gap. Lets make sure that businesses, especially small business aren't hampered by over-taxation and over-regulation, so they actually have a chance to create jobs. Lets eliminate the trade deficit and bring back the millions of jobs moved overseas. Lets cut the military budget and wasteful welfare and spending for thousands of programs and red tape, and cut and simplify taxes for workers. Lets impose overtime pay requirements to encourage businesses to hire more workers.

    And we need some liberal reforms too. Lets require that the wealthy pay more in taxes and these taxes actually benefit everything financially (universal healthcare, education, social security). Lets impose limitations on monopolies and make sure that employees and customers have protections from corporations.
    And while we are at it, let's cure cancer; create international peace; make contact with extra-terrestrial life; solve the riddle of the Sphinx; totally eliminate illiteracy and hunger throughout the world, and end death.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Apisa For This Post:

    PoliTalker (01-13-2019)

  9. #37 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,669
    Thanks
    2,446
    Thanked 2,574 Times in 1,671 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 190 Times in 174 Posts

    Default

    Hello distraff,

    Quote Originally Posted by distraff View Post
    Yes, there aren't enough good paying jobs for everyone, but that has always been the case.
    That doesn't make it OK.

    Quote Originally Posted by distraff View Post
    Yes, some jobs have been downsized, part time and benefits reduced, but other good jobs have been created as well, and there have always been jobs with bad benefits. Yes, the unemployment measure has problems, but the U6 unemployment factors in the underemployed and discouraged workers and its only 7.6%, and is almost at the record low in 2000 at 7.3%. You have pointed out legitimate problems with our economy but these have always been problems and you have not shown that they haven't gotten worse, and that automation, instead of outsourcing or the skills gap is the cause.
    OK, I get it. You choose to believe our economy is static, that wealth inequality has not grown. That is wrong. It has. And it continues to become more polarized. Our birth rate is insufficient to even replace our population. That is a very good indicator that average people do not have as much wealth as they once did. They don't feel comfortable to have large families because they can't afford them. We have gone from a one-worker breadwinner economy with larger families to both parents working and smaller families. And still, millennials can't afford homes, live in parents' basements as they pay off student loans to the wealth extractor class.

    Quote Originally Posted by distraff View Post
    Lets not tax away the middle class which is already burdened by rising costs and high taxes and is struggling to survive, in order to pay for a universal basic income.
    I totally agree there. We will have to tax the ultra-rich for that. There won't be much of a middle class after AI hits.

    Quote Originally Posted by distraff View Post
    We already have too many takers who leach out of those of us who actually go out and work. A basic income will encourage millions to just live off a basic income and not work instead of working hard and getting an education.
    There won't be any work for them to do. And it is disingenuous to blame the poor for their own condition. Most people on government assistance are working.

    Quote Originally Posted by distraff View Post
    lets make sure that everyone can easily get an affordable education in in-demand skills,
    The new 'in-demand skills' are going to be: "Are you a robot which can learn and adapt and work 24-7-365 without ever getting sick?

    Quote Originally Posted by distraff View Post
    and that kids actually learn valuable life skills in primary education, and that secondary education is focused solely on marketable career skills. Lets create 5 million new great jobs to fill the skills gap. Lets make sure that businesses, especially small business aren't hampered by over-taxation and over-regulation, so they actually have a chance to create jobs. Lets eliminate the trade deficit and bring back the millions of jobs moved overseas. Lets cut the military budget and wasteful welfare and spending for thousands of programs and red tape, and cut and simplify taxes for workers. Lets impose overtime pay requirements to encourage businesses to hire more workers.
    You know, after you get done slashing government to the bone, a new problem would be created. All those government workers whom have been turned out into the market will further impede efforts to find good well-paying jobs with adequate benefits for all. Those don't exist today, and capitalism has zero interest in creating that for the future. To be real, capitalism seeks to eliminate workers, not utilize them.

    Quote Originally Posted by distraff View Post
    And we need some liberal reforms too. Lets require that the wealthy pay more in taxes and these taxes actually benefit everything financially (universal healthcare, education, social security). Lets impose limitations on monopolies and make sure that employees and customers have protections from corporations.
    Good stuff, and I appreciate your balance. You know, I once thought it might be a good idea to have a maximum wage. It wouldn't be a number, but instead a ratio. A ratio of maximum executive take vs average worker take. This would include all forms of remuneration to executives including stock and other instruments. But that was before I really grasped the looming changes we as a society are facing with the advent of true AI. These machines won't need workers to build, design or service them. The machines will do that themselves. It is difficult to imagine what new work they might create, and even more difficult to imagine any such new work at sufficient levels to support society. We are left with no alternative but to tax the super-rich heavily to pay for the UBI. And that won't hurt them, because they will own the giant corporations which own the robots. Without the expense of labor, those corporations will be so profitable they will blow away the staggering numbers of today. This will come in exponential leaps.

    Sooner or later, everyone will embrace the UBI.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Flame on me, mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you go on my PERMANENT Ignore List. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I won't participate in your threads, you will be banned from mine. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: if you like my PIP, feel free to use it. It works well.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

    Frank Apisa (01-14-2019)

  11. #38 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    87
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello distraff,



    That doesn't make it OK.



    OK, I get it. You choose to believe our economy is static, that wealth inequality has not grown. That is wrong. It has. And it continues to become more polarized. Our birth rate is insufficient to even replace our population. That is a very good indicator that average people do not have as much wealth as they once did. They don't feel comfortable to have large families because they can't afford them. We have gone from a one-worker breadwinner economy with larger families to both parents working and smaller families. And still, millennials can't afford homes, live in parents' basements as they pay off student loans to the wealth extractor class.



    I totally agree there. We will have to tax the ultra-rich for that. There won't be much of a middle class after AI hits.



    There won't be any work for them to do. And it is disingenuous to blame the poor for their own condition. Most people on government assistance are working.



    The new 'in-demand skills' are going to be: "Are you a robot which can learn and adapt and work 24-7-365 without ever getting sick?



    You know, after you get done slashing government to the bone, a new problem would be created. All those government workers whom have been turned out into the market will further impede efforts to find good well-paying jobs with adequate benefits for all. Those don't exist today, and capitalism has zero interest in creating that for the future. To be real, capitalism seeks to eliminate workers, not utilize them.



    Good stuff, and I appreciate your balance. You know, I once thought it might be a good idea to have a maximum wage. It wouldn't be a number, but instead a ratio. A ratio of maximum executive take vs average worker take. This would include all forms of remuneration to executives including stock and other instruments. But that was before I really grasped the looming changes we as a society are facing with the advent of true AI. These machines won't need workers to build, design or service them. The machines will do that themselves. It is difficult to imagine what new work they might create, and even more difficult to imagine any such new work at sufficient levels to support society. We are left with no alternative but to tax the super-rich heavily to pay for the UBI. And that won't hurt them, because they will own the giant corporations which own the robots. Without the expense of labor, those corporations will be so profitable they will blow away the staggering numbers of today. This will come in exponential leaps.

    Sooner or later, everyone will embrace the UBI.
    While some jobs get eliminated and downgraded, many more are being created like they have for the last 150 years since the industrial revolution. Ever since the industrial revolution, there have been many predictions of mass unemployment due to automation, and workers being reduced to low-wage servants. These predictions have not been borne out because the new factories produced products that needed new jobs for management, and the savings from cheaper products allowed consumers to spend more on services that needed new jobs. fter 150 years of automating tens of millions of jobs and the eradication of dozens of entire industries, we stand at 3.7% unemployment and 7.6% U-6 unemployment, which is really good. A higher percent of the population is employed than in the 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s.

    Also grand predictions about the future like space colonies, flying cars, and super-fast commutes have not come to fruit so we aren't sure when true AI will actually happen until it does, and we are nowhere near actually doing that yet. But I do think computers will get a lot smarter and start eliminating tens of millions of jobs and will eliminate more than they create, but I don't know how quickly this will happen. We can't implement mass-unemployment policies until this actually starts happening.

    As of now, there are millions of high skills jobs that are unfilled and we have to actually import skilled labor constantly. Why can't we take the poor in the US and fill these positions? Why can't we balance our trade and bring back millions of jobs for the poor and unemployed to fill? Why don't we increase the demand for more workers by requiring time and a half pay for all work past 40 hours? And even with these problems not addressed, we still have very low unemployment. Its wasteful and irresponsible for taxpayers to give people money for not working when we can create millions of by fixing these problems first.

    Income inequality is a big problem, but not just for the poorest who will be helped by a basic income, but also middle class workers, and even lower wage blue collar workers too. The basic income won't help these workers who struggle to pay their bills and instead raise their taxes in order to pay millions to not work. To help with this problem, we should raise taxes on the rich to provide universal healthcare to workers. We should address high housing costs and get them lowered. We should make the wealthy to pay for social security for their workers by removing the cap on social security taxes. We should mandate minimum benefits to workers like sick time, vacation time, and overtime pay, and a living wage.

    I think you are right about future mass unemployment, and the inequality problems we have, but I believe there are some great solutions that keep people working and makes their jobs better.

  12. #39 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    13,096
    Thanks
    143
    Thanked 6,438 Times in 4,361 Posts
    Groans
    2,549
    Groaned 1,309 Times in 1,220 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello distraff,



    There are not currently good well-paying jobs for everybody. Most jobs have been downsized and benefits stripped away. The BLS counts someone as 'employed' if they work one hour per week. Who can live on that? Many jobs are part time, temporary, no benefits. Many American workers cannot survive on their pay; and qualify for and receive government assistance, even as they work. American taxpayers put food on the table of Walmart workers.

    We can't wait until all the jobs are replaced by automation. That is already happening, will ramp up, and so is/will demand for government assistance (be) rising.

    At some point, we have to realize that all those government assistance agencies, and all that huge big government bureaucracy, could be replaced by one far lower overhead system, which instead of spinning so many wheels to decide eligibility, simply hands out money instead with few requirements. And makes government smaller. The money goes into circulation, and the economy sings along. We would be far better situated to do this proactively rather than waiting until it is a big problem and/or causes a recession/depression before we act.
    You are thinking now. A Chinese entrepreneur on 60 miniutes said in the future,there will be 40 percent less jobs. That has to be planned for ,assumng the wealthy want to come out in public sometime.
    Automation took hundreds of thousands of jobs out of the auto industry,. Replacing workers has never abated.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Nordberg For This Post:

    PoliTalker (01-15-2019)

  14. #40 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    11,273
    Thanks
    5,357
    Thanked 5,183 Times in 3,316 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 346 Times in 334 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello distraff,



    That doesn't make it OK.



    OK, I get it. You choose to believe our economy is static, that wealth inequality has not grown. That is wrong. It has. And it continues to become more polarized. Our birth rate is insufficient to even replace our population. That is a very good indicator that average people do not have as much wealth as they once did. They don't feel comfortable to have large families because they can't afford them. We have gone from a one-worker breadwinner economy with larger families to both parents working and smaller families. And still, millennials can't afford homes, live in parents' basements as they pay off student loans to the wealth extractor class.



    I totally agree there. We will have to tax the ultra-rich for that. There won't be much of a middle class after AI hits.



    There won't be any work for them to do. And it is disingenuous to blame the poor for their own condition. Most people on government assistance are working.



    The new 'in-demand skills' are going to be: "Are you a robot which can learn and adapt and work 24-7-365 without ever getting sick?



    You know, after you get done slashing government to the bone, a new problem would be created. All those government workers whom have been turned out into the market will further impede efforts to find good well-paying jobs with adequate benefits for all. Those don't exist today, and capitalism has zero interest in creating that for the future. To be real, capitalism seeks to eliminate workers, not utilize them.



    Good stuff, and I appreciate your balance. You know, I once thought it might be a good idea to have a maximum wage. It wouldn't be a number, but instead a ratio. A ratio of maximum executive take vs average worker take. This would include all forms of remuneration to executives including stock and other instruments. But that was before I really grasped the looming changes we as a society are facing with the advent of true AI. These machines won't need workers to build, design or service them. The machines will do that themselves. It is difficult to imagine what new work they might create, and even more difficult to imagine any such new work at sufficient levels to support society. We are left with no alternative but to tax the super-rich heavily to pay for the UBI. And that won't hurt them, because they will own the giant corporations which own the robots. Without the expense of labor, those corporations will be so profitable they will blow away the staggering numbers of today. This will come in exponential leaps.

    Sooner or later, everyone will embrace the UBI.
    IT HAD BETTER BE "SOONER"...BECAUSE IF IT IS LATER, IT WILL BE AFTER AN UPHEAVAL THAT WILL MAKE ALL PREVIOUS UPHEAVALS SEEM LIKE CHILD'S PLAY.

    This has got to happen soon...within the lifetimes of people now alive...PROBABLY within the lifetime of adults now living.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Apisa For This Post:

    PoliTalker (01-15-2019)

  16. #41 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,669
    Thanks
    2,446
    Thanked 2,574 Times in 1,671 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 190 Times in 174 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by distraff View Post
    While some jobs get eliminated and downgraded, many more are being created like they have for the last 150 years since the industrial revolution.
    So you simply fail to acknowledge the difference between previous automation and AI-driven automation?

    Quote Originally Posted by distraff View Post
    Ever since the industrial revolution, there have been many predictions of mass unemployment due to automation, and workers being reduced to low-wage servants. These predictions have not been borne out because the new factories produced products that needed new jobs for management, and the savings from cheaper products allowed consumers to spend more on services that needed new jobs.
    Management and services are all within the purview of AI machines. All of those jobs are at risk.

    Quote Originally Posted by distraff View Post
    fter 150 years of automating tens of millions of jobs and the eradication of dozens of entire industries, we stand at 3.7% unemployment and 7.6% U-6 unemployment, which is really good. A higher percent of the population is employed than in the 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s.
    It is fake. They count anybody working one hour per week at any job, even minimum wage or less, whether the income generated can even be lived on or not, as 'employed.'

    Quote Originally Posted by distraff View Post
    Also grand predictions about the future like space colonies, flying cars, and super-fast commutes have not come to fruit so we aren't sure when true AI will actually happen until it does, and we are nowhere near actually doing that yet. But I do think computers will get a lot smarter and start eliminating tens of millions of jobs and will eliminate more than they create, but I don't know how quickly this will happen. We can't implement mass-unemployment policies until this actually starts happening.
    I disagree. AI is rapidly approaching. Have you ever heard of Moore's Law?

    And there is no logic in saying we cannot be proactive. That is usually a better approach than being reactive.

    Quote Originally Posted by distraff View Post
    As of now, there are millions of high skills jobs that are unfilled and we have to actually import skilled labor constantly. Why can't we take the poor in the US and fill these positions?
    Because we are too busy repressing the poor and blaming them for their own condition; and we would rather take the already-educated best minds from other countries.

    Quote Originally Posted by distraff View Post
    Why can't we balance our trade and bring back millions of jobs for the poor and unemployed to fill?
    We will never balance our trade. Get used to it.

    Quote Originally Posted by distraff View Post
    Why don't we increase the demand for more workers by requiring time and a half pay for all work past 40 hours?
    Why don't we require employers to maintain a certain proportion of their workers as full-time with benefits; or required them to pay the government the full amount of all their workers on government assistance?

    Quote Originally Posted by distraff View Post
    And even with these problems not addressed, we still have very low unemployment. Its wasteful and irresponsible for taxpayers to give people money for not working when we can create millions of by fixing these problems first.
    Every large organization has some waste. This is inescapable. To pretend our government is not subject to this rule of nature is ridiculous.

    Quote Originally Posted by distraff View Post
    Income inequality is a big problem, but not just for the poorest who will be helped by a basic income, but also middle class workers, and even lower wage blue collar workers too.
    Agreed.

    Quote Originally Posted by distraff View Post
    The basic income won't help these workers who struggle to pay their bills and instead raise their taxes in order to pay millions to not work.
    When the UBI is commonplace, most people won't work because there won't be enough jobs for everybody. We should already be reducing the definition of full time work and requiring more benefits to be paid.

    Quote Originally Posted by distraff View Post
    To help with this problem, we should raise taxes on the rich to provide universal healthcare to workers.
    Totally agreed.

    Quote Originally Posted by distraff View Post
    We should address high housing costs and get them lowered.
    One way to do that might be to have the government build basic housing and then give units to citizens as real property.

    Quote Originally Posted by distraff View Post
    We should make the wealthy to pay for social security for their workers by removing the cap on social security taxes. We should mandate minimum benefits to workers like sick time, vacation time, and overtime pay, and a living wage.
    I totally agree. All these things should be done yesterday. But I don't see this as a permanent solution. Once AI wipes out working, we will HAVE to have a UBI or the economy will collapse.

    Quote Originally Posted by distraff View Post
    I think you are right about future mass unemployment, and the inequality problems we have, but I believe there are some great solutions that keep people working and makes their jobs better.
    Certainly for now there is much more we can do with our government to Promote the General Welfare. And I also believe it is ultimately leading towards a UBI. I really don't see any way around it. And I think when that happens, we will see an explosion of the arts. What else will people have to do?
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Flame on me, mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you go on my PERMANENT Ignore List. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I won't participate in your threads, you will be banned from mine. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: if you like my PIP, feel free to use it. It works well.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

    Frank Apisa (01-15-2019)

  18. #42 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    11,273
    Thanks
    5,357
    Thanked 5,183 Times in 3,316 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 346 Times in 334 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post

    Certainly for now there is much more we can do with our government to Promote the General Welfare. And I also believe it is ultimately leading towards a UBI. I really don't see any way around it. And I think when that happens, we will see an explosion of the arts. What else will people have to do?
    I do hope they stick to arts, poetry, reading, writing, tending to the garden, spending more time with family, or gently bending in two trees by sitting in a hammock. I don't want them on the golf course playing 5 hours rounds.

  19. #43 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    1,504
    Thanks
    472
    Thanked 836 Times in 589 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 42 Times in 38 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Kacper,



    The UBI does work. Alaska has shown that because it has not destroyed the Alaskan economy. All the fears and worries about such a concept causing people to die from laziness have been proven moot. It doesn't matter what the source is. In this case, the source has been from taxing oil extraction. It could be from taxing a different kind of wealth, and be just as effective.
    The dividend seems to be all many Alaskans care about now. Politics reflects that.
    https://www.adn.com/opinions/2019/01...c-fb9fce026ebb
    That was from an uber liberal local columnist. The PFD has not been good for responsible politics.
    Also i'm not going to say the PFD has destroyed the Alaskan economy but we're the worst economy in the union at the moment. And we're handing out PFD checks. does that make sense to you?

  20. #44 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,669
    Thanks
    2,446
    Thanked 2,574 Times in 1,671 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 190 Times in 174 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    I do hope they stick to arts, poetry, reading, writing, tending to the garden, spending more time with family, or gently bending in two trees by sitting in a hammock. I don't want them on the golf course playing 5 hours rounds.
    Nobody likes that. But the way Trump plays the game can go much quicker. Just drive the cart right up on the green for your putt. Then swoosh, you're on the next Tee.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Flame on me, mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you go on my PERMANENT Ignore List. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I won't participate in your threads, you will be banned from mine. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: if you like my PIP, feel free to use it. It works well.

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

    Frank Apisa (01-18-2019)

  22. #45 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,669
    Thanks
    2,446
    Thanked 2,574 Times in 1,671 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 190 Times in 174 Posts

    Default

    Hello anonymoose,

    Quote Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
    That was from an uber liberal local columnist. The PFD has not been good for responsible politics.
    Also i'm not going to say the PFD has destroyed the Alaskan economy but we're the worst economy in the union at the moment. And we're handing out PFD checks. does that make sense to you?
    I wouldn't expect much of an economy when you don't even have roads between the cities. And the PFD has been cut in half, right? Who's got any money to spend?
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Flame on me, mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you go on my PERMANENT Ignore List. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I won't participate in your threads, you will be banned from mine. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: if you like my PIP, feel free to use it. It works well.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 154
    Last Post: 07-20-2018, 02:21 PM
  2. Facebook Co-Founder Wants Universal Basic Income
    By cawacko in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 85
    Last Post: 04-24-2018, 06:44 AM
  3. Stockton CA goes to guaranteed basic income - New name for WELFARE
    By Text Drivers are Killers in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-01-2018, 08:34 PM
  4. Zillionaire Zuckerberg wants a guaranteed basic income for everyone.
    By Text Drivers are Killers in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 05-27-2017, 10:30 AM
  5. Two basic types of Conservatives
    By Topspin in forum General Politics Forum
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 03-23-2009, 07:54 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •