Members banned from this thread: Callinectes, Truth Detector, MAGA MAN, CFM and Sailor

Thread: 'Hello, is this planet Earth?'

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,005 Times in 8,032 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,672 Times in 1,550 Posts

Default 'Hello, is this planet Earth?'

Could this be yet more fallout from the Trump shutdown?????

Astronaut sparks panic after accidentally dialing 911 from space sending NASA into a frenzy

By Neal Baker | The Sun

https://www.foxnews.com/science/astr...o-a-frenzy.amp

An astronaut has told how he accidentally called 911 from space, sending security teams at NASA's Houston base into a frenzy.

André Kuipers missed out a number when making a call through HQ back on Earth — and ended up connecting to U.S. emergency services.

The astronomical blunder sparked panic at the Johnson Space Centre in Texas and a security team was scrambled to the room where the call was put through.

He had been orbiting Earth in the International Space Station when he tried to make the call.

The 60-year-old spaceman explained how he had pressed 9 to make an outside call.

He then tried to phone internationally by pressing 011, but mistakenly left out the zero.

Oblivious to the chaos he caused, the Dutchman said he only realized his error when he received an email the following day.

Speaking in an interview about the gaffe, he told Dutch public broadcaster Nederlandse Omroep Stichting: "I made a mistake.

"The next day I received an email message: 'Did you call 911?'"

Kuipers joked: "I was a little disappointed that they had not come up."

The astronaut, who completed two space missions totaling 203 days, also told how it is surprisingly easy to communicate with Earth while onboard the ISS.

He said that calls worked 70 percent of the time, but that huge time delays were a struggle.

Kuipers recalled: "Sometimes people would hang up because they thought I did not say anything, so later on I started to talk as soon as I had dialed the last number."

The starman was interviewed to mark 50 years since Neil Armstrong's moon landing.

In 2015, British astronaut Tim Peake tweeted about calling a wrong number from the ISS.

He wrote: "I'd like to apologize to the lady I just called by mistake saying 'Hello, is this planet Earth?' — not a prank call...just a wrong number!"

https://i.postimg.cc/PqVCnGks/gojoe1.jpg
    C'MON MAN!!!!

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts