Thread: Trump: I could declare a national emergency to get border wall

1. #61 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,610 Times in 10,571 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Poor Richard Saunders View Post
    If you read the act, Congress can declare that emergency over by passing a joint resolution. If Trump declares such an emergency, Congress can quickly end it. If one House of Congress passes a resolution to end it, the other house is required to send it to committee and within 15 days report it to the floor where it becomes the order of business which means leadership can't prevent a vote. It looks like the maximum time frame for Congress to act to overturn any emergency declaration is 36 days from the first introduction of such a resolution. Every member of Congress is going to be on record before it ever makes it to the courts. I don't see a majority being willing to agree it is a national emergency if they hope to be reelected.
    Yup. Hence the reason I stated they passed the act. To gain some control and to set an expiration. At the time one of the emergency acts from Roosevelt in 1933 was still in effect, there was no expiration, until 1976.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

USFREEDOM911 (01-06-2019)

3. #62 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The act also sets an expiration, if it isn't renewed by the President each year it expires. It is, IMO, a decent law. It allows for emergency action, shuts down overreach, and expires what was permanent in the past if nobody shut it down.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

5. #63 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,766 Times in 27,240 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,590 Times in 18,179 Posts
    Blog Entries

If you read the act, Congress can declare that emergency over by passing a joint resolution. If Trump declares such an emergency, Congress can quickly end it. If one House of Congress passes a resolution to end it, the other house is required to send it to committee and within 15 days report it to the floor where it becomes the order of business which means leadership can't prevent a vote. It looks like the maximum time frame for Congress to act to overturn any emergency declaration is 36 days from the first introduction of such a resolution. Every member of Congress is going to be on record before it ever makes it to the courts. I don't see a majority being willing to agree it is a national emergency if they hope to be reelected.
    bingo

Love your quote

6. The Following User Groans At evince For This Awful Post:

7. #64 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,068 Times in 3,418 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 643 Times in 611 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Old Trapper View Post
    I tried to get a discussion on this topic started a week ago, and it seemed no one was interested. Now you folks have gone through all kinds of convoluted speak discussing something that was well discussed in the article I posted. Perhaps you will educate yourselves, and read the article I posted:

This edifice of extraordinary powers has historically rested on the assumption that the president will act in the country’s best interest when using them. With a handful of noteworthy exceptions, this assumption has held up. But what if a president, backed into a corner and facing electoral defeat or impeachment, were to declare an emergency for the sake of holding on to power? In that scenario, our laws and institutions might not save us from a presidential power grab. They might be what takes us down.

The article is hyperbolic fear mongering. Congress can shut down a national emergency declaration in a matter of a few hours by passing a joint resolution. A president facing electoral defeat or impeachment is not going to have a compliant Congress that supports his actions.
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Poor Richard Saunders For This Post:

evince (01-05-2019)

9. #65 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

10. The Following User Groans At evince For This Awful Post:

11. #66 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

A concurrent resolution. Congress really could not do much and certainly not end it quickly.

Concurrent resolution - A legislative measure, designated "S. Con. Res." and numbered consecutively upon introduction, generally employed to address the sentiments of both chambers, to deal with issues or matters affecting both houses, such as a concurrent budget resolution, or to create a temporary joint committee. Concurrent resolutions are not submitted to the president and thus do not have the force of law.

12. #67 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

13. The Following User Groans At evince For This Awful Post:

14. #68 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,028 Times in 6,222 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 710 Times in 658 Posts
    Blog Entries

Trump seems eager to bury the Republicans.

15. #69 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,897 Times in 21,661 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,689 Times in 5,192 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    No. It doesn't. Seriously, read the rulings. You are supposed to be an attorney, act like it instead of pretending you are too stupid to actually understand what I have stated. Reality doesn't match up to your insistence, and instead of recognizing that you are wrong you just keep declaring the same thing over and over. It's disingenuous and I don't believe that you are that stupid. While some may, I am not one of them.
    So you are clearly not a strict constructionist?

16. #70 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

No. I am simply pointing out that his statement is incorrect and why. The debate about the wall... not part of that. I do not believe that Trump will try to use emergency powers to build the wall and if he does I believe he will lose. I have no interest in debating hypothetical nonsense, I do have interest regarding facts though.
    So you don’t believe he has that power? You are agreeing with me now?

17. #71 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    So you are clearly not a strict constructionist?
    LOL. As if you can make that claim! I haven't actually laughed out loud at a post for a long time.

As I stated, read the frickin' rulings and you will see why the SCOTUS recognizes this power. At this point you are the black knight with no legs and arms trying to tell me we'll call it a draw...
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

19. #72 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The wall? Yes. As I said. I don't think he will even try this because he knows it will end in failure making the "Image President" look even smaller than he already looks. It doesn't change that Emergency Powers do exist, just not for this. Jarod stated that they do not exist at all, which isn't backed up by reality, rulings, laws passed.... The President has Emergency powers, it is why Congress passed the National Emergency Powers Act in 1976 to give them some control and an expiration...
    Despite the fact that presidents have claimed emergency powers in the past such action was not constitutional or lawful. Damocles is claiming presidential power is broader than what is granted the president by the constitution. A dangerous and bad path to go down. That creates a king not a limited constitutional officer.

20. #73 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

So you don’t believe he has that power? You are agreeing with me now?
    No. You made a false blanket statement and I have shown it to be false. You are now the Black Knight saying, "It's just a flesh wound!"
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

22. #74 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    Emergency Power - Definition, Examples, Cases, Processes
    https://legaldictionary.net/emergency-power

The President of the United States possesses certain powers to act in emergency situations. Though such “emergency power” is not specifically expressed in the Constitution , the Executive Branch is designed to be able to act quickly in times of war or national emergency.
    BAM!

23. #75 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Despite the fact that presidents have claimed emergency powers in the past such action was not constitutional or lawful. Damocles is claiming presidential power is broader than what is granted the president by the constitution. A dangerous and bad path to go down. That creates a king not a limited constitutional officer.
    And here King Arthur is walking away from the Black Knight who has no legs and arms and he's shouting, "You yellow bastards! Come back here, I'll bite your legs off!"
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Damocles For This Post: