Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump: I could declare a national emergency to get border wall

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,832 Times in 17,264 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,597 Times in 4,275 Posts

The Dem controlled House has the power of the purse. Trump has some money he could waste on a wall, but when it ends, the House can refuse him spending more. He does not know it, but Trump was not elected king.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Nordberg For This Post:

evince (01-05-2019)

3. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,896 Times in 21,660 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,688 Times in 5,191 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    If this is true why did Congress limit those powers through the National Emergencies Act in 1976 after realizing that many emergencies were still in effect?
    Show me where the Constitution gives the president special powers in a National Emergency....

Congress and Courts might have allowed it, does not make it right or Constitutional.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jarod For This Post:

evince (01-05-2019)

5. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,610 Times in 10,571 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    Show me where the Constitution gives the president special powers in a National Emergency....

Congress and Courts might have allowed it, does not make it right or Constitutional.
    I can show you decisions where the SCOTUS recognized the powers, or didn't depending on the time. Truman used it to put Japanese folks in internment camps, for instance...

Franklin D. Roosevelt used it first in 1933 to stop the "hoarding of gold". It was one of the ones that remained in effect in the 1970s when Congress decided to act to diminish the power. The SCOTUS ruled in Youngstown Sheet & Tube Co. v. Sawyer to limit the scope of actions but didn't limit the emergency declaration power itself.

The reality is, the SCOTUS recognizes the power of the President to act in an Emergency... and Congress does too. Some lawyer who ignores stuff like that notwithstanding, the reality does not reflect your views on this subject.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

dukkha (01-05-2019), USFREEDOM911 (01-06-2019)

7. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,879 Times in 6,106 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 594 Times in 580 Posts
    Blog Entries

I can show you decisions where the SCOTUS recognized the powers, or didn't depending on the time. Truman used it to put Japanese folks in internment camps, for instance...

Franklin D. Roosevelt used it first in 1933 to stop the "hoarding of gold". It was one of the ones that remained in effect in the 1970s when Congress decided to act to diminish the power. The SCOTUS ruled in Youngstown Sheet & Tube Co. v. Sawyer to limit the scope of actions but didn't limit the emergency declaration power itself.

The reality is, the SCOTUS recognizes the power of the President to act in an Emergency... and Congress does too. Some lawyer who ignores stuff like that notwithstanding, the reality does not reflect your views on this subject.
    Trump isn't a Franklin Roosevelt..
    He who is the author of a war lets loose the whole contagion of hell and opens a vein that bleeds a nation to death. Thomas Paine

8. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kudzu View Post
    Trump isn't a Franklin Roosevelt..
    Don't get me wrong, the only thing I am saying here is that the President does have this power and it has been supported in the past and Jarod is wrong. I do not think it applies here and now for this wall and think the courts will rule against him. And unlike Lincoln, so far this Administration doesn't ignore the courts.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

kudzu (01-05-2019), USFREEDOM911 (01-06-2019)

10. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

You think they would allow Rump to do it over this “wall”?

Congress and Courts might have allowed it, in the past, it does not make it right or Constitutional.

The Constitution does NOT give the president such a right.

11. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

You think they would allow Rump to do it over this “wall”?

Congress and Courts might have allowed it, in the past it does not make it right or Constitutional.
    No. I'm just pointing out that just standing around saying, "There is no Emergency Power for the President" doesn't make it true. Please see one post up from the one I am quoting here. As I said previously, the opinion of one attorney declaring something doesn't exist doesn't actually fit with reality in this case.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

12. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

No. I'm just pointing out that just standing around saying, "There is no Emergency Power for the President" doesn't make it true. Please see one post up from the one I am quoting here. As I said previously, the opinion of one attorney declaring something doesn't exist doesn't actually fit with reality in this case.
    Congress and Courts might have allowed it, in the past, it does not make it right or Constitutional.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jarod For This Post:

evince (01-05-2019)

14. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Government doesn't have rights they have powers. SCOTUS has ruled in the past that the President has the power to take action during emergencies, it is in how the branches are designed. Stating it simply: As the action branch, the executive is the only branch that can act if we actually have an emergency.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

dukkha (01-05-2019), USFREEDOM911 (01-06-2019)

16. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Government doesn't have rights they have powers. SCOTUS has ruled in the past that the President has the power to take action during emergencies, it is in how the branches are designed. Stating it simply: As the action branch, the executive is the only branch that can act if we actually have an emergency.
    The founders considered giving such powers to the executive and rejected the idea. As I said, Just because it has happened in the past, does not make it correct or constitutional.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Jarod For This Post:

evince (01-05-2019)

18. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The founders considered giving such powers to the executive and rejected the idea. As I said, Just because it has happened in the past, does not make it correct or constitutional.
    Using your logic the president could declare himself king, and if Congress and the courts allowed it, it would be a constitutionalpower he has.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Jarod For This Post:

evince (01-05-2019)

20. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Using your logic the president could declare himself king, and if Congress and the courts allowed it, it would be a constitutionalpower he has.
    No. It doesn't. Seriously, read the rulings. You are supposed to be an attorney, act like it instead of pretending you are too stupid to actually understand what I have stated. Reality doesn't match up to your insistence, and instead of recognizing that you are wrong you just keep declaring the same thing over and over. It's disingenuous and I don't believe that you are that stupid. While some may, I am not one of them.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

USFREEDOM911 (01-06-2019)

22. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,633 Times in 9,299 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by volsrock View Post
    https://nypost.com/2019/01/04/trump-...t-border-wall/

Heads are exploding everywhere in Washington today. Good times.
    Words of a would be dictator
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Mason Michaels For This Post:

evince (01-05-2019)

24. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,633 Times in 9,299 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by I Love America View Post