Thread: Trump: I could declare a national emergency to get border wall

1. #136 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    You answered my question about where the Constitution grants additional powers to the president if he declares an emergency?
    Yes. I answered the question on whether the President has Powers not granted by the constitution and gave you a link to something you should read and that you granted a "BAM!" to without understanding.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

Sailor (01-06-2019), USFREEDOM911 (01-06-2019)

3. #137 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdberg View Post
    Over 90 percent of drugs and illegals come in through ports of entry.
    Who told you that?

4. #138 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Who told you that?
    No one. He pulls shit out his ass all day long.

5. #139 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by katzgutz View Post
    The EC is completely irrelevant in this case.
    The Electoral College is "completely irrelevant" in a presidential election, grandpa?

6. #140 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,628 Times in 21,489 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,632 Times in 5,140 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    Yes. I answered the question on whether the President has Powers not granted by the constitution and gave you a link to something you should read and that you granted a "BAM!" to without understanding.
    So you did not answer my question about where in the Constitution those powers are given...

7. #141 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    So you did not answer my question about where in the Constitution those powers are given...
    It is in the link. Please just read the thing and move on.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

8. The Following User Groans At Damocles For This Awful Post:

Jarod (01-07-2019)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

USFREEDOM911 (01-06-2019)

10. #142 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Occasionally you have to nudge him every once in a while. He gets stuck on stupid.

11. #143 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,626 Times in 7,127 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,985 Times in 2,707 Posts
    Blog Entries

The Electoral College is "completely irrelevant" in a presidential election, grandpa?

see that's your problem your drugs are getting you all confused and discombobulated. Most Americans don't want the wall it's that simple.

12. #144 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

see that's your problem your drugs are getting you all confused and discombobulated. Most Americans don't want the wall it's that simple.
    Says a poll - and you always trust polls, grandpa?

13. #145 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't think declaring a National Emergency would be an appropriate move by the US president for this turmoil. I think that would be an over the edge move. As an alternative, President Trump must instead present valid reasons which will convince the Democrat dominated Congress that a wall is the proper solution to the immigration issues faced by the United States of America.

14. #146 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheRepublicofPolSci View Post
    I don't think declaring a National Emergency would be an appropriate move by the US president for this turmoil. I think that would be an over the edge move. As an alternative, President Trump must instead present valid reasons which will convince the Democrat dominated Congress that a wall is the proper solution to the immigration issues faced by the United States of America.
    There are no rational Democrats left in Congress to convince or present anything too.

15. #147 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,626 Times in 7,127 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,985 Times in 2,707 Posts
    Blog Entries

Says a poll - and you always trust polls, grandpa?
    ROTFL

16. #148 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

ROTFL
    So I was right, again.

17. #149 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,628 Times in 21,489 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,632 Times in 5,140 Posts
    Blog Entries

Since you refuse to identify any particular language that you claim gives the President "Emergency Powers", I will use some portions of your link.

First I will point out that you link is simply someone's article and opinion and that the FACTS presented in your link do not support your claim, only the opinion.

The First Paragraph:

"The President of the United States possesses certain powers to act in emergency situations." (opinion) "Though such “emergency power” is not specifically expressed in the Constitution," (FACT) the Executive Branch is designed to be able to act quickly in times of war or national emergency. Because emergency power is not specifically stated in the Constitution," (FACT) its scope is somewhat limited, typically extending only to situations that compromise or threaten the safety or well-being of the public." (OPINION) "To explore this concept, consider the following emergency power definition."

You see, Damocles has used an age old trick of combining fact with opinion to try to trick the reader into believing the opinion is fact. A true strict constructionist would see that those who have the opinion that the president has special "emergency powers" if he declares an emergency, are STRETCHING the Constitution beyond where the founders intended. Though history despots have used a hyped emergency to claim "emergency powers" and anoint themselves King. The founders knew this and protected us from that by refusing to grant the President of the United States the Constitutional power to grant himself additional authority by declaring an emergency.

I find it funny that, out of love for President Rump, people who consider themselves Strict Constructionists are willing to undermine this philosophy to extend this ideology to the despot Don Trump.

Yes, presidents have usurped "emergency powers" in the past, to do patiently unconstitutional things, like when Roosevelt imprisoned Asian Americans in prison camps. Promoting the idea that the President has this authority is dangerous and WRONG.

He argues that because Congress passed a bill limiting "emergency powers" is evidence that these powers exist, that is putting the cart before the horse. Congress can limit my power to cut myself a huge slice of cheese from the moon, it does not change that I never had that power in the first place.

Now, say I am wrong, for political reasons all you want, I am not wrong here.

The FACT remains that DAMOCLES cannot point to any portion of the CONSTITUTION that grants these mythical powers to the President. This was the intent of the founders for a very specific reason. To pretend otherwise is simply wrong.

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

18. #150 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,341 Times in 5,714 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 374 Times in 355 Posts

and that's the kicker, we are getting a wall, Democrats have to know that.

So political posturing it is in the meantime, they are so done
    This just In::: Trump indicted for living in liberals heads and not paying RENT

C̶N̶N̶ SNN.... Shithole News Network

Trump Is Coming back to a White House Near you