Thread: Trump: I could declare a national emergency to get border wall

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,538 Times in 9,990 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,099 Times in 1,011 Posts

Default Trump: I could declare a national emergency to get border wall

https://nypost.com/2019/01/04/trump-...t-border-wall/

Heads are exploding everywhere in Washington today. Good times.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,520 Times in 5,217 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,477 Times in 2,299 Posts

Seems money is already there for a wall then

Jarod and other leftists told us that Trump was boxed in by Nazi Pelousy

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,614 Times in 21,477 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,628 Times in 5,136 Posts
    Blog Entries

Where does the Constitution give him that power?

Or do Republicans not care about that anymore?

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,745 Times in 33,616 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    Where does the Constitution give him that power?

Or do Republicans not care about that anymore?
    One of those unfiltered thoughts. If I were King...

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,879 Times in 6,106 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 594 Times in 580 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by volsrock View Post

President Trump said Friday that he might declare a national emergency so that he could bypass Congress and order the construction of his long-promised wall on the southern border.

“Absolutely, we can call a national emergency. I haven’t done it. I may do it. I may do it. We can call a national emergency and build it very quickly,” he said during a press briefing in the Rose Garden after a two-hour meeting with top Democrats about the government shutdown and border security.

“It’s another way of doing it. If we can do it through a negotiated process, we’re giving that a shot.”

Asked if that stance was a threat to Democrats, Trump replied: “I never threaten anybody but I am allowed to do it.”

He also said he could seize private property from people who own land on the border “under the military version” of eminent domain, the law that allows the government to seize private property for public or private development and not face any court action.
    He who is the author of a war lets loose the whole contagion of hell and opens a vein that bleeds a nation to death. Thomas Paine

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by volsrock View Post

President Trump said Friday that he might declare a national emergency so that he could bypass Congress and order the construction of his long-promised wall on the southern border.

“Absolutely, we can call a national emergency. I haven’t done it. I may do it. I may do it. We can call a national emergency and build it very quickly,” he said during a press briefing in the Rose Garden after a two-hour meeting with top Democrats about the government shutdown and border security.

“It’s another way of doing it. If we can do it through a negotiated process, we’re giving that a shot.”

Asked if that stance was a threat to Democrats, Trump replied: “I never threaten anybody but I am allowed to do it.”

He also said he could seize private property from people who own land on the border “under the military version” of eminent domain, the law that allows the government to seize private property for public or private development and not face any court action.
    He who is the author of a war lets loose the whole contagion of hell and opens a vein that bleeds a nation to death. Thomas Paine

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

8. The Following User Says Thank You to USFREEDOM911 For This Post:

dukkha (01-05-2019)

9. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kudzu View Post

Did you post this twice; because you are desperately trying to convince yourself that the can't??
    SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

10. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Addressing reporters from the Rose Garden today, Trump kept pushing for his ill-advised border wall. But what if Congress refuses to acquiesce to his demand for $5 billion in funding? Why, he'd declare a national emergency "and build [the wall] very quickly," he said.

Assuming, for the sake of argument, that he can do that, he'd run into another problem right away: The federal government owns less than one-third of the land on the southern border. The rest belongs to other entities, including states, Native American tribes, and private individuals. Most of the border land in Texas is private property.

Not a problem, said Trump: "You have to use eminent domain," he declared. That's when the government forces a property owner to sell, at a price set by the government. "If we had one person that wouldn't sell us...then we wouldn't be able to build proper border security because we'd have that big opening."

"I think it's a fair process," he added.

And what happens if Trump can't seize people's land with normal eminent domain? That's where the "military version" comes in:

Trump floats the idea of using "the military version of eminent domain" to immediately seize privately owned land along border to build the wall

— Josh Lederman (@JoshNBCNews) January 4, 2019
    As explained, "[Lawsuits are] not going to hold [the wall] up because under the military version of eminent domain and under, actually, homeland security we can do it before we even start."

Hopefully it doesn't look anything like this:

Hey, look! It's "the military version of eminent domain"! pic.twitter.com/JQbk4eQHml

— Jesse Walker (@notjessewalker) January 4, 2019
    In all seriousness, federal law does allow for military department secretaries to "acquire any interest in land" if "the acquisition is needed in the interest of national defense." But defining building a wall on the southern border as an issue of national defense is a stretch.

It's also worth noting that calling for a "military version of eminent domain" may not be the best way for Trump to sell his wall to the American people. Polls already show that a majority of Americans oppose the project. Further reducing the due process available to border property holders is unlikely to increase that number.

At least it made for some great Twitter reactions from Reps. Jim Hines (D–Conn.) and Justin Amash (R–Mich.), among others:

Can I use the "military version of eminent domain" to borrow my neighbor's snow shovel? @justinamash @RepThomasMassie ??

AMPERSANDmdash; Jim Himes (@jahimes) January 4, 2019

I am not aware of any "military version" of eminent domain. I am aware of executive overreach, and this sounds like it.

AMPERSANDmdash; Justin Amash (@justinamash) January 4, 2019

Today Trump claimed he will seize large swaths of land from private citizens at gunpoint and declare a "state of emergency" to build a wall without Congressional approval.

In the face of tyranny, Republicans are outraged ... by a freshman Member of Congress using profanity.

AMPERSANDmdash; Renato Mariotti (@renato_mariotti) January 4, 2019

Also the "military version of eminent domain" would be… invasion.

AMPERSANDmdash; Jane Coaston (@cjane87) January 4, 2019

But the president's fondness for eminent domain in all of its forms should be no surprise. Trump has benefited from eminent domain for decades as a real estate developer. Why would he stop now?

http://reason.com/blog/2019/01/04/wh...ary-version-of

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kudzu For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (01-05-2019)

12. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by USFREEDOM911 View Post
    Did you post this twice; because you are desperately trying to convince yourself that the can't??
    System glitch.............

13. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by USFREEDOM911 View Post
    System glitch...........

14. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

System glitch.............
    You should try rebooting yourself and this time kick real hard.

15. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

System glitch...........
    You seem to be stuck in a loop or else you have a bigger problem.

16. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,538 Times in 9,990 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,099 Times in 1,011 Posts

So

17. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,614 Times in 21,477 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,628 Times in 5,136 Posts
    Blog Entries

Not “if” I were king, trump honestly believes he is king, and all this cooperation is just because he chooses to cooperate. He honestly believes he is powerful enough to just build a wall without congressional funding.

I’d love to see him try. It would work out exactly like his Muslim ban did.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jarod For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (01-05-2019), Phantasmal (01-05-2019)