Members banned from this thread: evince, CFM and reagansghost

Thread: With a West Virginia drawl, Democrat gives working class a voice in 2020

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Default With a West Virginia drawl, Democrat gives working class a voice in 2020

Can't say I've heard of Richard Ojeda before but sounds like a pretty interesting dude. (not in the sense I would vote for him but his is not your traditional story) A vet who voted for Bernie in the primary, Trump in the general and now wants to run against him. Supports the New Green Deal while saying he stands for and supports coal minors. He can't win the Presidency but he brings a different voice to the Democratic primary. Darth Omar, what do you know about/think of this guy?

With a West Virginia drawl, Democrat gives working class a voice in 2020

West Virginia state Sen. Richard Ojeda is the presidential candidate big-name Democrats should fear. Not because he could win, but because he can hammer on how out of touch they are with rural and working-class America.

And that’s not just because he speaks with a drawl and sports 36 tattoos.

Yes, it is crazy to think that a first-term state senator like Ojeda has a shot at the White House, especially after he lost a House race in November by nearly 13 points. But Ojeda, 48, is connecting with the reddest of red-state voters on some sort of populist level.

Ojeda, a retired Army major who served in Iraq and Afghanistan and won a Bronze Star, took 43 percent of the vote in a House district that Donald Trump won in 2016 by 50 points. The Democrat who ran for the House seat two years ago won 24 percent.

“People have to understand that you’re not going to beat Donald Trump with a cookie-cutter politician. You got to have somebody who is willing to get in there and fight, and that’s what I do,” Ojeda told The Chronicle’s “It’s All Political” podcast during a recent campaign visit to Oakland.

Ojeda — and that’s pronounced “o-JET-a” where he’s from — still rocks the buzz cut from his 24 years in the Army, occasionally promises to “fistfight” someone over policy differences and drops the g’s in his “ings” naturally, not just when he’s campaigning in the shadow of a barn. Ask him about how he’d challenge his opponents on the opioid crisis, which has hit West Virginia as hard as any state, and his Mountaineer drawl takes on an edge.

”Don’t you sit here and say you’re going to fight the opioid epidemic and you’ve taken money from Big Pharma,” Ojeda said. He listed potential 2020 Democratic candidates in the Senate who have taken thousands of dollars in campaign contributions from the pharmaceutical industry, including New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker and New York Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand.

“Big Pharma comes in here and throws their OxyContin and hydrocodone on our people like candy,” Ojeda said. “But we do nothing. Because why? Because lobbyists for Big Pharma greased the pockets of our legislators and buy their protection. It’s time for people to stand up and say this has got to stop.”

To Democrats craving someone who can speak to rural and Trump voters authentically, they don’t get much more authentic than Ojeda. He’s so authentic that he voted for Trump, which he now says he regrets.

“I voted for Donald Trump because No. 1, he come to West Virginia,” Ojeda said. “The things he was saying, I was not happy with. But he was the one who come down there to West Virginia and was talking about putting coal miners to work.”

Ojeda is no conservative; he voted for independent Sen. Bernie Sanders in the Democratic primary. But he couldn’t bring himself to vote for Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton. He couldn’t even bring himself to say her name when describing his choices in the general election.

“So it become those two people, OK,” Ojeda said. “At the end of the day, one person was saying that they were going to put people to work and the other was talking about job training about jobs that don’t exist in West Virginia.”

There are a million reasons why Ojeda is the longest of long shots. He decided to run for president 13 days after losing his House race. He has a narrow fundraising base, although he did raise nearly 25 percent of the $2.8 million for his House race from California — including two contributions from Sam Altman, head of the Silicon Valley accelerator Y Combinator.

Three of Ojeda’s top four policy priorities — described as “missions” on his campaign website — are still listed as “to be announced.” His stump speech is folksy, but often it’s also scattered and unfocused.

But the essence of why he’s running is clear. When he came home from the military in 2013, he said, he was “devastated at what I found.”

“I found children in my backyard who had it worse than the kids I saw in Iraq and Afghanistan,” said Ojeda, a married father of two. “In Iraq and Afghanistan, a village will raise a child. Here, the mom and dad are addicted to drugs.”

He admits that some of his ideas “sound a little crazy.” Like the bill he is proposing in West Virginia for lobbyists to wear body cameras while they are around legislators.

“I think that if all lobbyists had to wear body cameras,” Ojeda said, “we’ll have a lot less backdoor dealings going on.”

Even though he’s from a deep-red state, his views are as progressive as they come. He supports single-payer health care, led the drive to legalize medical cannabis in West Virginia and backs the Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez-crafted Green New Deal environmental proposal.

The Green New Deal isn’t exactly focused on reviving coal mining, a major industry in Ojeda’s district.

“I support the coal miner,” Ojeda said to emphasize the distinction between the dying industry and its workers, many of whom he counts as family and friends. “I know that we need to get away from fossil fuels. I’m saying, let’s bring those jobs from the Green New Deal to West Virginia now so we can transform these coal miners into something else.”

He talks about abortion rights from a class perspective, which makes the topic easier to talk about in one of the poorest — and most culturally conservative — states. He wants to quadruple federal funding for Planned Parenthood because “they provide contraceptives, they give classes, they convince people that they can have a child.”

“The rich have always had access. Always. It’s the poor who suffer,” Ojeda said. “I will stand with a woman’s ability to make that choice for her body. It’s her body.”

Ojeda says he understands why 30 to 40 percent of the country — including most of his home state — supports Trump no matter what he does.

“Because those people want — so bad — to believe his rhetoric,” Ojeda said. “We now know that a lot of the promises that he made were absolute garbage. But there are some people out there who still hold onto the hope that he’s going to follow through.”

Ojeda says Democrats need to nominate someone who can offer hope — and say it in a way that won’t make Americans living far from the liberal coasts roll their eyes.

“So we can sit and we can continue pushing the same folks,” Ojeda said. “And what’s going to happen is that you’re going to see a lot of tears in November when that man (Trump) wins.”

https://www.sfchronicle.com/politics...s-13507167.php

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,041 Times in 13,848 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

He sounds confused, and ultimately pretty irrelevant, you ever been to West Virginia?

I do enjoy your posts though, get to scan the San Francisco newspapers, thought the article regarding the City getting the $415 million windfall and how to spend it was more interesting than this character

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    He sounds confused, and ultimately pretty irrelevant, you ever been to West Virginia?

I do enjoy your posts though, get to scan the San Francisco newspapers, thought the article regarding the City getting the $415 million windfall and how to spend it was more interesting than this character
    I actually have never been. The fact that our local paper thought him worthy of discussion is what drew my attention.

As far as the local surplus usually that's a good thing but with all the fighting our politicians do it will be a blood bath for whose favorite cause it gets spent on.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,131 Times in 9,660 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 504 Times in 477 Posts
    Blog Entries

sounds like he belongs in the basket of deplorables.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post

Yes. Beautiful Mountains. Nice people also.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 244 Times in 225 Posts

West Virginia is a quirky state. As conservative as they are, they have some of the most progressive laws in the country, especially in the world of insurance. They have no problem sticking it to insurers.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Threedee View Post
    Any of the mountains named after Robert Byrd?
    I would not think so. However I do not know.

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Minister of Truth For This Post:

Sailor (01-04-2019)

11. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    And great mountain biking lol.

Heading out tomorrow in fact.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

12. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,833 Times in 8,248 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,899 Times in 5,299 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    And a lot of extreme poverty So much that one is left to wonder why don't more leave.
    Of course I often wonder why Blacks stay in the South too.
    It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.

13. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,041 Times in 13,848 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    I actually have never been. The fact that our local paper thought him worthy of discussion is what drew my attention.

As far as the local surplus usually that's a good thing but with all the fighting our politicians do it will be a blood bath for whose favorite cause it gets spent on.
    Tenderloin, spend it on the Tenderloin, mental health or something, only major metropolitan area I've seen with such a homeless problem