Thanks
    Thanked 83,405 Times in 53,280 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    100 percent concur

"The unexamined life is not worth living." - Socrates

“Dear and most respected bookcase! I welcome your existence, which has for over one hundred years been devoted to the radiant ideals of goodness and justice.” - Anton Chekhov
    Wish I knew how to do those heart things here, 'cause I heart-thing this a lot.

Oh, and for the record, it turns out that algebra *is* actually useful for non-math/non-science ppl!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Cypress (12-30-2018), Phantasmal (12-31-2018)

3. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,433 Times in 2,367 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 888 Times in 802 Posts
    Blog Entries

The west is a composite of the Judeo-Christian religious tradition and Greco-Roman culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    You can’t overlook the Enlightenment
    Of course not.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jimmymccready For This Post:

Phantasmal (12-31-2018)

5. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,683 Times in 27,327 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Wish I knew how to do those heart things here, 'cause I heart-thing this a lot.

Oh, and for the record, it turns out that algebra *is* actually useful for non-math/non-science ppl!
    Keep up the good work on your scholarly endeavors!

I recently took a video class on ancient civilizations of North America, so I got a little taste of what you are studying. Suffice it to say, my mind was blown, because I knew hardly anything about Cohokia, Poverty Point, and the Missiissippian civilization.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

kudzu (12-31-2018), Phantasmal (12-31-2018), ThatOwlWoman (12-30-2018)

7. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I recently took a video class on ancient civilizations of North America, so I got a little taste of what you are studying. Suffice it to say, my mind was blown, because I knew hardly anything about Cohokia, Poverty Point, and the Missiissippian civilization.
    Thanks. Yeah, our education in true American history is really lacking. For 45 years of my life I lived within the sphere of influence of the Cahokians.... yet other than the mounds left behind, we were never taught about this amazing civilization in school. I educated myself as a kid about them, but it wasn't touched upon in formal education.

Question: Have you ever heard anything about the residential schools?

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (12-30-2018), kudzu (12-31-2018), Phantasmal (12-31-2018)

9. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Thanks. Yeah, our education in true American history is really lacking. For 45 years of my life I lived within the sphere of influence of the Cahokians.... yet other than the mounds left behind, we were never taught about this amazing civilization in school. I educated myself as a kid about them, but it wasn't touched upon in formal education.

Question: Have you ever heard anything about the residential schools?
    NIce work taking it upon yourself to learn about the Cohokians and Mississipians.

I do not have a clue what you mean by residential schools. Lay it on me.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

kudzu (12-31-2018)

11. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

NIce work taking it upon yourself to learn about the Cohokians and Mississipians.

I do not have a clue what you mean by residential schools. Lay it on me.
    No shame... I never heard of them either growing up. Starting in 1850 the U.S. govt., and the Canadian govt., started rounding up native kids -- forcefully in many cases -- and sending them to boarding schools, often run by Catholics and other Xtian factions. They were transported sometimes 100s of miles from their families. They were forbidden to speak their native languages, to practice their native faiths, to wear their traditional clothing or hair styles. Thousands of children died in these schools of abuse, neglect, suicide. Thousands more were raped and murdered. Entire cultures were wiped out. There are elders in our own community here who were forced to attend these schools (the last ones closed up in Canada in 1990. 1980s in the U.S.) Their memories are heartbreaking. I guess the best analogy that would resonate with modern American citizens would be for American kids to be kidnapped by some Muslim group, transported to a foreign area hundreds of miles from their homeland and family, stripped of their clothing and forced to wear Muslim garb, punished for speaking English while being forced to learn Arabic, forced to learn the new religion and manners of their captors....

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

13. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

No shame... I never heard of them either growing up. Starting in 1850 the U.S. govt., and the Canadian govt., started rounding up native kids -- forcefully in many cases -- and sending them to boarding schools, often run by Catholics and other Xtian factions. They were transported sometimes 100s of miles from their families. They were forbidden to speak their native languages, to practice their native faiths, to wear their traditional clothing or hair styles. Thousands of children died in these schools of abuse, neglect, suicide. Thousands more were raped and murdered. Entire cultures were wiped out. There are elders in our own community here who were forced to attend these schools (the last ones closed up in Canada in 1990. 1980s in the U.S.) Their memories are heartbreaking. I guess the best analogy that would resonate with modern American citizens would be for American kids to be kidnapped by some Muslim group, transported to a foreign area hundreds of miles from their homeland and family, stripped of their clothing and forced to wear Muslim garb, punished for speaking English while being forced to learn Arabic, forced to learn the new religion and manners of their captors....
    Holy smoke, a black stain on this nation's history.

This country has really never been good at practicing introspection concerning our sins, and if we can have a National Holocaust Museum, there certainly should be a National Museum/Memorial bearing witness to our genocide of native peoples.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

15. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,845 Times in 14,185 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,453 Times in 1,372 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Postmoderngoyim View Post
    FYI, Kudzu is an Episcopalian atheist who is completely ignorant of theology......she makes shit up........
    you hate real history
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

“If Hamas put down their weapons, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons, there would be no Israel."

ברוך השם

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guno צְבִי For This Post:

kudzu (12-31-2018), Phantasmal (12-31-2018)

17. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,845 Times in 14,185 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,453 Times in 1,372 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymccready View Post
    The west is a composite of the Judeo-Christian religious tradition and Greco-Roman culture.

Of course not.
    no such thing as Judeo-Christian that is a goyim construct

There’s No Such Thing As Judeo-Christian Values
    https://forward.com/scribe/389735/th...ot-in-the-gop/

The label Judeo-Christian tends to assume, at the expense of Judaism, that Christians and Jews believe essentially the same things.

Jews are prohibited from marrying Christians, setting foot inside a Christian church We reject the Christian idea of christian salvation, we abhor Christian divine teachings on every subject, and we are repulsed and outraged by incessant attempts by Christian missionaries to bring us into their fold.

Judeo-Christian is a term used by Protestant Christians who either want to deny their anti-Jewish feelings or to enlist Jewish support for a philosophically or religiously questionable enterprise in public policy. Funny how I never hear a Jews use this word, only the christians
    Last edited by Guno צְבִי; 12-30-2018 at 11:26 PM.
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

“If Hamas put down their weapons, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons, there would be no Israel."

ברוך השם

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guno צְבִי For This Post:

iolo (12-31-2018), kudzu (12-31-2018)

19. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,879 Times in 6,106 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 594 Times in 580 Posts
    Blog Entries

American Indian Boarding Schools Haunt Many : NPR

American Indian Boarding Schools Haunt Many The U.S. government operated 100 boarding schools for American Indians on and off reservations. One expert says the schools were part of a strategy to ...

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/...oryId=16516865

A report in the late 1880s defended the early days of the schools. In the 1920s, a report concluded that children at federal boarding schools were malnourished, overworked, harshly punished and poorly educated. And in 1969, a report declared Indian education to be a national tragedy.
    He who is the author of a war lets loose the whole contagion of hell and opens a vein that bleeds a nation to death. Thomas Paine

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kudzu For This Post:

Cypress (12-31-2018), Phantasmal (12-31-2018), ThatOwlWoman (12-31-2018)

21. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The idea behind the Indian boarding schools was "Kill the Indian, save the man".. They were designed to destroy any remnant of the culture of the Native Americans and resistance was met with cruelty.
    He who is the author of a war lets loose the whole contagion of hell and opens a vein that bleeds a nation to death. Thomas Paine

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kudzu For This Post:

Cypress (12-31-2018), Phantasmal (12-31-2018), ThatOwlWoman (12-31-2018)

23. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,973 Times in 32,288 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    you hate real history
    only your history.......

24. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,433 Times in 2,367 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 888 Times in 802 Posts
    Blog Entries

guno is wrong about the term Judeo-Christian. He is the far gone example on the other end of the spectrum when it comes to religion.

25. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymccready View Post
    guno is wrong about the term Judeo-Christian. He is the far gone example on the other end of the spectrum when it comes to religion.
    I don't think he's wrong.. Christians have discriminated against Jews (or worse) throughout most of history..

26. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,456 Times in 2,386 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 941 Times in 861 Posts

'Judeo-Christian' is a meaningless term, and those who use it are manifestly neither - they are Mammon-worshippers supporting racist colonialism mostly.