Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holyrollers attempting to take over public libraries.... YOU HAVE CHURCHES FOR CHRIST

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Holyrollers attempting to take over public libraries.... YOU HAVE CHURCHES FOR CHRIST

SAN FRANCISCO, California (AP) -- Government libraries can block religious groups from worshipping in public meeting rooms, a federal appeals court ruled Wednesday.

The decision came from a case involving the Faith Center Church Evangelistic Ministries, a Christian group which won a court order allowing them to hold a "prayer, praise and worship" service in meeting rooms open to other groups at a Contra Costa County library branch. A federal judge said it had a First Amendment right of religion to use the public's facilities.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/09/21/li....ap/index.html
    evnagelicals i think are the worst holyrollers of the US holyrollers... if you want to pray or worship go to a freakin church... i don't understand why you need to take over a public library...

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,897 Times in 21,661 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,688 Times in 5,191 Posts
    Blog Entries

I used to go to church in a movie theater.

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

This is clearly unconstitutional. Do we not have freedom of religion and freedom of speech.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

And Rob I would venture to guess that the only reason you support this is because you dislike religious people. If they had a meeting for a gay alliance and they wouldn't allow it you would be against that decision.

Freedom of speech is freedom of speech.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by IHateGovernment View Post
    This is clearly unconstitutional. Do we not have freedom of religion and freedom of speech.
    whats unconstitutional about it?? they have churches to worship go there... no need to try to do some recruiting at the public library... even some towns have other places like the enfield christian fellowship they have their own building.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

And Rob I would venture to guess that the only reason you support this is because you dislike religious people. If they had a meeting for a gay alliance and they wouldn't allow it you would be against that decision.

Freedom of speech is freedom of speech.
    the gay aliance don't have any churches that are already avaible for them to worship at do theY??

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

but libraries are supposed to be quiet.....

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by robdastud View Post
    the gay aliance don't have any churches that are already avaible for them to worship at do theY??
    that is their problem. I don't think my tax dollars to go to support any religion for a place to worship.

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

IHG is lost in the political wilderness as usual.

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

whats unconstitutional about it?? they have churches to worship go there... no need to try to do some recruiting at the public library... even some towns have other places like the enfield christian fellowship they have their own building.

We do not have designated centers which are the only place people may practice their religion. Not all religious groups have the benefit of a church. Large religions do but smaller ones do not. If one was a Bahai or Coptic or Shintoist they may lack the funds to have their own building for worship.

Read the first amendment Rob.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Thats not how the first amendment works Rob. It doesn't say "or the right of the people peaceably to assemble unless they have there own place to use."

Seriously Rob please learn a little about the bill of rights I don't know where you get the idea that because some religious groups may have a church that that means that people may not have religious meetings in public.

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Freedom of speech is freedom of speech right. But id sort of depoends on what you say to whom and where.
    Many caveats to freedom of speech.
    Yelling fire in a theatre.
    Threatening someone, esp the president.
    saying hi to your friend jack sitting accross the aisle from you in a plane....

I just don't think my tax dollars should go to any religious organization to provide them a house of worship. That is their problem.
    It can also make others in the library uncomfortable, esp if they equate liberals, islamics and statn all in one lump like some do.

13. #13 | Top
    TRGLDTE Guest

....I don't know where you get the idea...
    A product of the public school system in a liberal state.

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It is generally accepted in the supreme court that tax dollars are not to be used in the support of any religion.

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

but libraries are supposed to be quiet.....

Many libraries have meeting rooms separate from quiet study areas.

that is their problem. I don't think my tax dollars to go to support any religion for a place to worship.

Its not your tax dollars going to a place for worship. Your tax dollars go toward a place in which the public may gather for a multitude of reasons religion being one of the many.

Any group can hold a meeting at a library. The NRA, the NAACP, Green peace, Nazis and gasp yes Christians.

So you can talk about guns in a library, you can talk about racial justice, you can talk about the killing of the whales, you can talk about the superiority of the white race but you can't talk about God or Jesus.