Page 6 of 42 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: How much has Obamacare saved the American people?

1. #76 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,477 Times in 22,782 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,245 Times in 2,985 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oneuli View Post
    Yet, as you can see from the stats, that's just what happened.
    You moron, when the Government subsidizes care for people who don't have it, it is a COST not a savings. Damn you truly are a brain dead hack.

Obamacare subsidies on track to cost billions this year, report says
    https://www.latimes.com/nation/polit...617-story.html
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

2. #77 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,874 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 202 Times in 195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Deficits didn't lower you brain dead hack. Obama has the record for the largest deficits this nation has ever experienced. I am fairly certain he will retain that title for a very long time.
    What do you think the deficit was when Obama took office? What do you think it was when he left office?

3. #78 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

And I keep pointing out that Americans were told that healthcare costs would actually go down.
    You see, I keep trying to have a discussion about policy (Obamacare), while you'd prefer to gossip about celebrities (Obama). That's fine. There's a place for that gossip. If you are aroused by pointing out instances of Obama being dishonest, feel free. But it's not the point of this thread. This thread is about how much Obamacare has saved the American people.

4. #79 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Yes.
    Prove it.

5. #80 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by volsrock View Post
    Hefty premium increases are the new normal. Americans who shopped for Obamacare-compliant coverage off the exchanges fared just as poorly as those who watched rates soar on the exchanges. The average individual market plan sold through eHealth, an online insurance marketplace, cost $197 per month in 2013. In 2018, the average plan on eHealth was $440 per month — a 123 percent increase.

1. Health insurance is more expensive than ever.

Remember the promise that the average family would save $2,500 a year on health insurance? Forget about it.

In May 2017 the Department of Health and Human Services reported that average health insurance premiums doubled since 2013. How many families’ incomes doubled over that same period?

In 2018 costs have risen by another 19 percent for high-cost plans and 32 percent for the cheapest plans, according to a study by the Urban Institute. Overall inflation for all other goods and services are running at 2 percent.

4. Americans are paying more money for less health coverage.

According to Kaiser, the average deductible for people with employer-provided health coverage last year was $1,221 compared to $303 in 2006. Usually, you pay higher deductibles for lower premiums. Under Obamacare, you pay more when you get your hospital bill.

https://www.heritage.org/health-care...hate-obamacare
    My post was about overall healthcare costs, not healthcare premiums specifically. Overall costs, obviously, matter more. If I have a choice between, say, a $2,000 premium that leaves me with $10,000 of out-of-pocket medical expenses, or a $5,000 premium that leaves me with $1,000 of out-of-pocket medical expenses, I'd go for the latter, which costs me half as much, even though the premium is five times as large. What matters is my total spend, not how much spending comes under each heading.

6. #81 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

My data is for the entire period, from Obamacare becoming law through November of 2018. As a simple matter of fact, healthcare inflation over that period was significantly lower than over any period of that length before Obamacare became law. As your link points out, "we have not returned to the double-digit increases of the past" and "to date, evidence has shown health spending has slowed since ACA's passage in 2010." Those authors think more is needed in "the next round of health reform" to bend the cost curve. Fine. But so far, it looks like a big improvement.
    "Looks like".

7. #82 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,219 Times in 3,171 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 239 Times in 227 Posts

I calculated them. Just take the most recent CPI:medical and calculate the percentage increase from March 2010 (when Obamacare became law). Now calculate the increase for every other period of that length leading up to that date.
    Obamacare went into effect in October of 2013. So you are using incorrect start point. Which is what I figured you were doing.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Superfreak For This Post:

Truth Detector (12-17-2018)

9. #83 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

when the Government subsidizes care for people who don't have it, it is a COST not a savings.
    It's a cost to the government and a savings for the people who are subsidized. The question is whether it was a net savings or not. When you look at wider measures like healthcare inflation or per capita healthcare spending, etc., you'll see the rate of increase slowed considerably. That doesn't mean everyone wound up better off than she would have been. Some were better, some worse. But, on average, we're much better off than we would have been.

10. #84 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,637 Times in 10,063 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,101 Times in 1,013 Posts

You see, I keep trying to have a discussion about policy (Obamacare), while you'd prefer to gossip about celebrities (Obama). That's fine. There's a place for that gossip. If you are aroused by pointing out instances of Obama being dishonest, feel free. But it's not the point of this thread. This thread is about how much Obamacare has saved the American people.
    Obamacare has cost the American people.

The News & Observer
    Obamacare is not the affordable health care we were promised

Americans for Tax Reform
    New Report Finds Obamacare Overhead to Cost $273 Billion

The New York Times
    Middle-Class Families Confront Soaring Health Insurance Costs

Washington Examiner
    Obamacare is now so expensive it keeps patients away from their doctors

https://www.google.com/search?client....0.wU4BXjRllQI

Do u need more? There are 100s of links to it costing Americans MORE!
    Last edited by volsrock; 12-17-2018 at 12:17 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to volsrock For This Post:

12. #85 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,774 Times in 27,248 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,590 Times in 18,179 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
    Obamacare went into effect in October of 2013. So you are using incorrect start point. Which is what I figured you were doing.
    and insurance companies began to get ready for it by offering better coverage so people wouldn't bail on them when it was implemented

you are just too stupid to understand the whole picture

13. #86 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,774 Times in 27,248 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,590 Times in 18,179 Posts
    Blog Entries

It's a cost to the government and a savings for the people who are subsidized. The question is whether it was a net savings or not. When you look at wider measures like healthcare inflation or per capita healthcare spending, etc., you'll see the rate of increase slowed considerably. That doesn't mean everyone wound up better off than she would have been. Some were better, some worse. But, on average, we're much better off than we would have been.
    and some people had their lives saved by the better health care

14. #87 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,341 Times in 5,714 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 374 Times in 355 Posts

My post was about overall healthcare costs, not healthcare premiums specifically. Overall costs, obviously, matter more. If I have a choice between, say, a $2,000 premium that leaves me with $10,000 of out-of-pocket medical expenses, or a $5,000 premium that leaves me with $1,000 of out-of-pocket medical expenses, I'd go for the latter, which costs me half as much, even though the premium is five times as large. What matters is my total spend, not how much spending comes under each heading.
    would you please stop trying to defend a stupid thread, I know it's your thread, but really
    This just In::: Trump indicted for living in liberals heads and not paying RENT

C̶N̶N̶ SNN.... Shithole News Network

Trump Is Coming back to a White House Near you

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Getin the ring For This Post:

16. #88 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Prove it.
    I can't prove it in the way that you prove something in a controlled experiment. What I can show is that the CBO predicted it would lower the deficit, the deficit actually did end up falling, and total healthcare spending growth slowed to a record low pace. Those are dots that can't be connected in with scientific certainty. So, it's one of those situations where we decide whether to set policy that's in line with the data or whether we should instead set policy with the idea that the data is misleading us. I consider the former to be the more rational way to set policy.

17. #89 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    "Looks like".
    Yes it does.

18. #90 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
    Obamacare became law in March 2010. Different parts of it went into effect at different periods after that. For example, the provision allowing adult children under age 26 to get on their parents' insurance started to be rolled out immediately, and the deadline for insurers to implement it was September 23, 2010.

If you'd prefer me to use some incorrect starting point, just let me know which wrong date you'd prefer.