Thread: I Don't Grieve Over His Cruelty, I Grieve Over Yours

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,295 Times in 5,845 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 390 Times in 368 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gotcha68 View Post
    I really don’t care about him.

I know you think I do, but my sadness really has nothing to do with him.

I know who he is—and more accurately, I know what he is.

I know that he is just a mirror.

He has simply revealed clearly the disfigured ugliness of the place I call home and the people I live here alongside—and that is the thing I grieve over. And this is not the mourning over a singular loss, it is a daily grieving.

I grieve when I see elementary school teachers dressed up like a border wall for Halloween.
    I grieve when I see white a woman screaming obscenities at two Muslims teenagers at a stop light.
    I grieve when I see a Jewish professor’s office littered with spray-painted swastikas.
    I grieve when I watch a father of four being tackled by ICE agents outside immigration offices.
    I grieve when I witness white high school seniors making a “Heil Hitler” arm gesture during class photos.
    I grieve when I see the contempt from white friends, when young black men die at traffic stops.
    I grieve when I find the most vile sickness on my social media feed, hurled toward people of color and women and transgender people.
    I grieve when I hear professed Christian pastors calling for the killing of LGBTQ people.
    I grieve when I see rambling, racist tirades on subway cars filled with families with young children.
    I grieve when I see supremacist candidates being elected and re-elected.
    I grieve when I overhear dehumanizing conversations from old, white men, about Democratic women leaders, in crowded cafés.
    I grieve when I sit across holiday tables, and witness bigoted tirades that I’d have thought people I knew and loved were not capable of.

And though all of these things are undoubtedly emboldened by him and encouraged by him and celebrated by him—that is not the source of my despair. It is the reality that all of this vicious, toxic, filth that we are infected with today—is something you are largely fine with. The rising hatred is not alarming or discomforting enough to you, to move you to action or to speak against it.

Oh sure, you might inwardly twinge with discomfort at one or two of the most egregious offenses, but by and large you’re good with it all.

With your silence, as much as with your volume, you show me you are more with him than you are against him, that you are more like him than different from him—and that you and I are increasingly morally incompatible.

So yes, he is a mirror, and I am seeing you my countrymen and women through him.

That is why I grieve, friend.

That is why I don’t see America or my church or my neighborhood or my family the same anymore, and I’m not sure I ever will again.

The greatest tragedy to me, isn’t him. It isn’t that the person supposedly leading our country lacks a single benevolent impulse, that he is impervious to compassion, incapable of nobility, and mortally allergic to simple kindness.

The greatest tragedy, is how many Americans he now represents.

And that he represents you.

John Pavlovitz
    Alright, who gave Screedly McTrollface Internet access?
    Don't be afraid to see what you see

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Lightbringer For This Post:

Callinectes (12-16-2018)

3. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,240 Times in 2,333 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 161 Times in 150 Posts
    Blog Entries

He has simply revealed clearly the disfigured ugliness of the place I call home and the people I live here alongside—and that is the thing I grieve over. And this is not the mourning over a singular loss, it is a daily grieving.

I grieve when I see elementary school teachers dressed up like a border wall for Halloween.
    I grieve when I see white a woman screaming obscenities at two Muslims teenagers at a stop light.
    I grieve when I see a Jewish professor’s office littered with spray-painted swastikas.
    I grieve when I watch a father of four being tackled by ICE agents outside immigration offices.
    I grieve when I witness white high school seniors making a “Heil Hitler” arm gesture during class photos.
    I grieve when I see the contempt from white friends, when young black men die at traffic stops.
    I grieve when I find the most vile sickness on my social media feed, hurled toward people of color and women and transgender people.
    I grieve when I hear professed Christian pastors calling for the killing of LGBTQ people.
    I grieve when I see rambling, racist tirades on subway cars filled with families with young children.
    I grieve when I overhear dehumanizing conversations from old, white men, about Democratic women leaders, in crowded cafés.
    I grieve when I sit across holiday tables, and witness bigoted tirades that I’d have thought people I knew and loved were not capable of.

And though all of these things are undoubtedly emboldened by him and encouraged by him and celebrated by him—that is not the source of my despair. It is the reality that all of this vicious, toxic, filth that we are infected with today—is something you are largely fine with. The rising hatred is not alarming or discomforting enough to you, to move you to action or to speak against it.

Oh sure, you might inwardly twinge with discomfort at one or two of the most egregious offenses, but by and large you’re good with it all.

With your silence, as much as with your volume, you show me you are more with him than you are against him, that you are more like him than different from him—and that you and I are increasingly morally incompatible.

So yes, he is a mirror, and I am seeing you my countrymen and women through him.

That is why I don’t see America or my church or my neighborhood or my family the same anymore, and I’m not sure I ever will again.

The greatest tragedy to me, isn’t him. It isn’t that the person supposedly leading our country lacks a single benevolent impulse, that he is impervious to compassion, incapable of nobility, and mortally allergic to simple kindness.

John Pavlovitz
    Was all this bullshit NOT happening when obama was in charge, or are you just now going out and hunting for it? BTW, most definitely not "inwardly twinging with discomfort at one or two of the most egregious offenses", I'm "good with it all"
    “The Communist party must control the guns.”
    ― Mao Tse-tung

“Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything.”-Generally attributed to Uncle Joe Stalin

“Everything under heaven is in utter choas; the situation is excellent.”
    ― mao tse-tung

4. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,235 Times in 10,345 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,490 Times in 1,337 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    What happens when the pain is brought to your side?
    that is already a foregone conclusion, liberals have been causing pain for 200+ years with their overreaching federalization of everything. So having an executive that can affect millions of their lives now is the ultimate irony, liberals have been hoisted by their own petard. Presidential elections wouldn't be so high stakes if we didn't allow one guy to fuck with so many peoples lives. This is what you get.

---

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Grind is basically right
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Grind’s got you beat by miles. He is very intelligent.

5. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by christiefan915 View Post
    Slow and steady wins the race.....
    that's what Hilliary thought......

6. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 244 Times in 225 Posts

John Pavlovitz
    Keep going with that Deplorables thing. It worked out so well last time for the democrats.

7. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,986 Times in 2,762 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 178 Times in 173 Posts

That article is whining about rare, isolated examples of bad human behavior that have been going on for decades before Trump ever came along. And newsflash... most Trump supporters are against bigotry, misogyny etc. You liberal fucks have become completely unhinged.
    Last edited by Sirthinksalot; 12-16-2018 at 10:09 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sirthinksalot For This Post:

Callinectes (12-16-2018)

9. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,448 Times in 965 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 45 Times in 42 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kacper View Post
    Keep going with that Deplorables thing. It worked out so well last time for the democrats.
    I would stand on my soap box and declare "you" all deplorables and point out every instance in which that is true whether it meant losing every election after this or not. Silence means acceptance and I will never be silent nor accepting of such depravity.

10. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,185 Times in 7,629 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,051 Times in 998 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bluedream View Post
    i love this authors pain. this is exactly what I wanted trump to do. This is awesome and brings me immense joy.
    You are a sick fuck.

Get help!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Apisa For This Post:

BRUTALITOPS (12-17-2018)