Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 'Merica

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,238 Times in 7,656 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,055 Times in 1,002 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    I don't know man, I'm not a tech guy. We have access to info at our fingertips today people could only dream about years ago. But that doesn't mean life is going to be easy. We went from an Industrial Age to a technological one and there are older folks who haven't adjusted well to it.
    Older folks?

NOBODY has adjusted well to it.

I'm 82 and can use all the devises around.

But essentially we have developed WILLING SLAVES in the billions (machines, robots and computers) to help us do the work that has to be done...

...and yet humans are working harder to obtain less.

IT MAKES NO SENSE.

Why is this the state of affairs?

Why, with all the mechanical slaves we have to help us do the work that needs doing...are we humans all working so hard?

(I think I know why.)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank Apisa For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (12-14-2018), iolo (12-14-2018)

3. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Old Trapper View Post
    Young kids have no idea of what fun is, nor do they have any idea of what it means to invent your own entertainment. They can learn just as we did.

And the geo-politics is not the reason why we cannot "go back". It is the reliance on the almighty dollar, and greed, that prevents us from doing so.

I'm 74, born in 44. And the younger kids are learning. It is those in between that are lost.
    I don't disagree at all that kids today don't have what we did growing up in terms of freedom to go and have fun. They are definitely missing out. But it's not greed that's preventing us from going back to the industrial type economy we had in the '50's and '60's.

4. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hoping someday you will understand that it is not the technology. It is the culture that created "Father knows best", "Little Beaver", "Ozzie and Harriet", "The Lone Ranger", etc. Perhaps the greater problem lies in the number of people on the earth that has created a world of self-centeredness. I was listening to a right wing talk show today, and the host was rattling on abut the accomplishments of Trump, and then he said that Trump had done more for Christianity then any other President. I probably should have stopped, and called, and asked him what Trump has done, but I knew it was a waste of time. I have went through this with him too many times. Trump has made a mockery of Christianity just as he has of the laws of the country. And the country will rue the day they ever elected the pervert. But that too is an example of how low the country has sunk.

It will take time, and hard work, to return the US to its former glory, however, there is hope in the generations two, and three, decades from now.
    What's interesting is guno will consider the time you are talking about full of uneducated cracka goyums. Is that a time we really want to return to?

5. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    Older folks?

NOBODY has adjusted well to it.

I'm 82 and can use all the devises around.

But essentially we have developed WILLING SLAVES in the billions (machines, robots and computers) to help us do the work that has to be done...

...and yet humans are working harder to obtain less.

IT MAKES NO SENSE.

Why is this the state of affairs?

Why, with all the mechanical slaves we have to help us do the work that needs doing...are we humans all working so hard?

(I think I know why.)
    No question new technology has brought with it new problems. But nonetheless technological advancement isn't going to stop nor are we going to return to a pre-technological age.

6. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,966 Times in 32,281 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ64 View Post
    And as of now our tax dollars are going to the wealthy....the majority of whom are white and male.
    we should do something about that.......I know, we could let blacks and women have Medicare and Social Security too!........

7. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,733 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 707 Times in 647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    If you pay any attention to a piece of shit like Heff...you are offering him too much respect.

He is a troll. You should piss on him...not feed him.
    Because I'm not afraid to tell that POS exactly what he is, whilst I'm pissing on him.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TTQ64 For This Post:

Frank Apisa (12-14-2018)

9. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

My dad raised 7 kids on $6.50 an hour as a member of the AFL/CIO. We vacationed every year, went hunting, fishing, had a garden, and mom stayed at home. He received healthcare that covered the whole family, and bought three different homes the last one costing him 25,500 which is now valued at 450,000. Of course, his CEO received 27 times what he got not the 257 times the amount a CEO receives today.

But yes, the mentally retarded who have been brought up to believe that greed is good will find ways to blame the current situation on robotics, etc., not the greed of the 1-10%. And Trump does not want to go back to those times.
    You won the internet yesterday.

This post is sooo true.

10. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Was this during the '50's and '60's? Again, completely different time in the world. You have to look at the geo-politics of the day post WWII and prior to the technological revolution. We are never going back to those days. Republican/Democrat it doesn't matter. Those days are gone. Old people may remember them but no one young does.
    And the early 70's...…...until Nixon and Reagan fucked shit up

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TTQ64 For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (12-14-2018)

12. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hoping someday you will understand that it is not the technology. It is the culture that created "Father knows best", "Little Beaver", "Ozzie and Harriet", "The Lone Ranger", etc. Perhaps the greater problem lies in the number of people on the earth that has created a world of self-centeredness. I was listening to a right wing talk show today, and the host was rattling on abut the accomplishments of Trump, and then he said that Trump had done more for Christianity then any other President. I probably should have stopped, and called, and asked him what Trump has done, but I knew it was a waste of time. I have went through this with him too many times. Trump has made a mockery of Christianity just as he has of the laws of the country. And the country will rue the day they ever elected the pervert. But that too is an example of how low the country has sunk.

It will take time, and hard work, to return the US to its former glory, however, there is hope in the generations two, and three, decades from now.

It's people like dump who are the reasons for your fathers house going from 25K to 450K. He and those like him corrupted the real estate market, just like they corrupted the government...…….then they blamed Blacks.

13. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,548 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 215 Times in 201 Posts

I don't disagree at all that kids today don't have what we did growing up in terms of freedom to go and have fun. They are definitely missing out. But it's not greed that's preventing us from going back to the industrial type economy we had in the '50's and '60's.
    Actually I was not referring to going back to the 'industrial economy". I was referring to the overall culture, income inequality caused by greed, and the general loss of concern for others.
    "2Timothy 3 "But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away"

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Old Trapper For This Post:

TTQ64 (12-14-2018)

15. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,548 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 215 Times in 201 Posts

What's interesting is guno will consider the time you are talking about full of uneducated cracka goyums. Is that a time we really want to return to?
    If you had lived in that period you would not ask the question.
    "2Timothy 3 "But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away"

16. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,295 Times in 5,845 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 390 Times in 368 Posts

Actually I was not referring to going back to the 'industrial economy". I was referring to the overall culture, income inequality caused by greed, and the general loss of concern for others.
    So the 50's and 60's was a more enlightened time than today?
    Don't be afraid to see what you see

17. #58 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Greed isn't new, is been around as long as man has. And the growth of technology has allowed for massive fortunes to be earned and made it harder for those who are older and less educated to keep up. We at things today like gays being able to get married and a black man being President and I'd say that shows a lot more concern for others than what we had in previous generations.

18. #59 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

If you had lived in that period you would not ask the question.
    You may be a Democrat who hates Trump but you share the same desire he does to return a previous era. And being a Democrat why would you ever want to return to a period of time when there was mass discrimination against minorities and gays?

19. #60 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,238 Times in 7,656 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,055 Times in 1,002 Posts

No question new technology has brought with it new problems. But nonetheless technological advancement isn't going to stop nor are we going to return to a pre-technological age.
    Correct.

We are going to have to ADAPT.

The notion that there will be enough decent paying jobs so that everyone can earn their living...is the first thing that has to go.

Out the door with that...ain't ever gonna happen again.

Then, after acknowledging that MOST PEOPLE are not going to be able to earn a living, we have to figure out what to do about that.

As I see it, mostly it will reduce to variations of two themes:

One: Allow most of the people to starve or freeze to death and be rid of them.

Two: Provide for the needs and wants of the people who do not work.

I understand there are many people here who would much prefer the former to the latter. The forum is dominated by the American conservatives...so that is a given.