Members banned from this thread: evince, Truth Detector, CFM, Lightbringer, Fentoine Lum and reagansghost

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Down With Homework, Say U.S. School Districts

1. #76 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,978 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    The Bay Area has a large Asian population so living here for as long as I have I've been thoroughly exposed to it and you are spot on about the culture vis a vis education. I definitely think an argument can be made that they don't focus enough on building up the person so that they have a personality and know how to lead. At a certain point you one can't just be a robot they have to learn how to relate to people. I think America does a better job from that perspective. But overall there's a lot of positive coming from certain Asian cultures regarding academics that we in America can learn from.

I do not espouse that theirs is the only way or even the best way, especially when it comes to balance of education and personal growth. Just wanted to answer the question of why they are “better” at the educational part. I would speculate that the pressure kids are under in nations like S. Korea lead to their fairly high suicide rate. Here is an excerpt from Wikipedia that is pretty much spot on from what I have learned:

In South Korea, every student is obligated to take the College Scholastic Ability Test (CSAT). On this day, underclassmen gather and cheer on their seniors as they enter the school to take their exam. The government has also mandated to forbid planes from flying during this time to make sure there are no distractions to these students.[48]

Education in South Korea is extremely competitive, making it difficult to get into an esteemed university. A South Korean student's school year lasts from March to February. The year divides into two semesters: one from March until July, and another from August to February. The average South Korean high school student also spends roughly 16 hours a day on school and school-related activities. They attend after school programs called hagwons and there are over 100,000 of them throughout South Korea, making them a 20 billion dollar industry.[49] Again, this is because of the competitiveness of acceptance into a good university. Most South Korean test scores are also graded on a curve, leading to more competition. Since 2012, students in South Korea go to school from Monday to Friday, and every odd Saturday. Before 2005, South Korean students went to school every day from Monday to Saturday.

Although South Korean education consistently ranks near the top in international academic assessments such as PISA,[15] the enormous stress and pressure[50] on its students is considered by many to constitute child abuse.[51][52] It has been blamed for high suicide rates in South Korea among those aged 10–19.[53]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_in_South_Korea
    I like discipline. I like motivation. But there has to be some balance.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

cawacko (12-14-2018), TOP (12-14-2018)

3. #77 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    I do not espouse that theirs is the only way or even the best way, especially when it comes to balance of education and personal growth. Just wanted to answer the question of why they are “better” at the educational part. I would speculate that the pressure kids are under in nations like S. Korea lead to their fairly high suicide rate. Here is an excerpt from Wikipedia that is pretty much spot on from what I have learned:

I like discipline. I like motivation. But there has to be some balance.
    I didn't in any way mean to say you were supporting what you spoke about. Sorry for the confusion. I was just adding on to the points you were making with my own thoughts.

4. #78 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by floridafan View Post
    No ,we do not have government schools prick. Never had, never will.
    You're retarded...obviously a product of a government school
    If you believe that man is good, there is no need for government. If you believe that man is bad, you dare not create one.

5. #79 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 10 Times in 9 Posts

As for the topic at hand, how homework is handled is part of a teacher's personal philosophy. Those philosophies differ between individual teachers. It's no one else's business but theirs. Their policies should not be dictated.

The article in the OP is just more evidence of the path to Idiocracy.
    If you believe that man is good, there is no need for government. If you believe that man is bad, you dare not create one.

6. #80 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,039 Times in 2,191 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 603 Times in 570 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchon View Post
    You're retarded...obviously a product of a government school

7. #81 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    I didn't in any way mean to say you were supporting what you spoke about. Sorry for the confusion. I was just adding on to the points you were making with my own thoughts.
    No problem. Just clarifying for some who do not know me. You and I have had similar discussions before. Oh, we want to borrow Kyler from you Californians for a couple more games too.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

cawacko (12-14-2018)

9. #82 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,406 Times in 10,036 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

The school day should be much longer, and last the full year. No more summer vacations.

The wages of Wall Street bankers and teachers should flip.

Arts funding should be increased while school team sports programs shouldn't get a dime of school funding.

Private schools should be banned completely.
    When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist

10. #83 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

No problem. Just clarifying for some who do not know me. You and I have had similar discussions before. Oh, we want to borrow Kyler from you Californians for a couple more games too.
    Hahaha, I hope he comes! Screw you NFL!! Lol

11. #84 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 14 Times in 13 Posts

Being pressed for time (I’m in the middle of making Christmas candy to go in the care packages we give out and will have to take my boy to a school activity soon) I will address the bolded. I understand how the wording isn’t clear. A bad part about me is that I write like I talk. Sometimes I’m not clear The young man came to school here in December 2012 or 2013, I don’t remember the year for sure but remember that he was just in time for Christmas break. We always teased him about that. He was back here just last summer for three weeks to visit. He’s a good kid.

I’ll, mention on the gun issue that I don’t have much to say nor am I seeking comments. Owning guns, shooting (a lot) and hunting, ... it’s all just the way of life where I live.

The changes I’d make to the US educational system...I’ll preface that later to come response with this. I don’t think anything much will work as long as we try to educate every kid the same way.
    Always interested in the POV of an American school teacher!

I commented on your remarks about guns and killing small animals because I thought you were making some points on which you were interested in my opinions. The topic isn't important to me either. I'm looking forward to hearing your comments on educating kids differently, as that pertains to helping your education system to improve itself. Will you be making comparisons to China's methods and proposing some of the same?
    Bringing reform and decency from Canada, one forum at a time.

12. #85 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Being pressed for time (I’m in the middle of making Christmas candy to go in the care packages we give out and will have to take my boy to a school activity soon) I will address the bolded. I understand how the wording isn’t clear. A bad part about me is that I write like I talk. Sometimes I’m not clear The young man came to school here in December 2012 or 2013, I don’t remember the year for sure but remember that he was just in time for Christmas break. We always teased him about that. He was back here just last summer for three weeks to visit. He’s a good kid.

I’ll, mention on the gun issue that I don’t have much to say nor am I seeking comments. Owning guns, shooting (a lot) and hunting, ... it’s all just the way of life where I live.

The changes I’d make to the US educational system...I’ll preface that later to come response with this. I don’t think anything much will work as long as we try to educate every kid the same way.
    You even see it mentioned in this thread a desired top down one size fits all means of education. Like you said it does not work as the best way to educate a country with millions of children.

13. #86 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by montgomery View Post
    Always interested in the POV of an American school teacher!

I commented on your remarks about guns and killing small animals because I thought you were making some points on which you were interested in my opinions. The topic isn't important to me either. I'm looking forward to hearing your comments on educating kids differently, as that pertains to helping your education system to improve itself. Will you be making comparisons to China's methods and proposing some of the same?
    I don’t have a full plan but I know we need a separation according to ability early and often. We need to have better ways to get unruly students out of the general population, especially by middle school age. At some point enough has to be enough.

We need better teacher accountability but some metric besides standardized testing needs to be included when determining bad teachers.

If we want to reach the level of some other countries in science and math we need competition and a level playing field to get into the best schools ... and work to keep these schools the best. No cronyism and no Affirmative Action.

Like I have said, these are just some things that I believe would help the situation. I think we can take some ideas from some Asian countries but I would not take things to their extreme. I’ve briefly mentioned the contribution that the pressure put on those kids seemingly contributes to their suicide rate. But some pressure needs to be put on kids, parents and teachers to do better. Until some of the changes I mention above are implemented I don’t think you’ll ever see great change in the performance.