Members banned from this thread: evince, Truth Detector, CFM, Lightbringer, Fentoine Lum and reagansghost

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Down With Homework, Say U.S. School Districts

1. #61 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,916 Times in 6,548 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,882 Times in 1,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    LOL, translation, I'm trolling and can't get myself out of this position I'm taking which I know to be incorrect
    Or maybe you are, as usual, full of shit?

2. #62 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    I did..we get federal visits....
    The federal government may visit certain schools but I'm not aware of them visiting every single school in the country (although I could be wrong). Regardless, the federal government visiting schools isn't why they are government schools. They're government schools because they are run by the government on a local, state and federal level. And members of the school boards are either elected officials or appointed by politicians so that is the government as well. We don't hold elections to appoint board members to private companies.

It's just a really weird position for FF to troll on.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

TOP (12-13-2018)

4. #63 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,417 Times in 16,406 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,433 Times in 1,355 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    The federal government may visit certain schools but I'm not aware of them visiting every single school in the country (although I could be wrong). Regardless, the federal government visiting schools isn't why they are government schools. They're government schools because they are run by the government on a local, state and federal level. And members of the school boards are either elected officials or appointed by politicians so that is the government as well. We don't hold elections to appoint board members to private companies.

It's just a really weird position for FF to troll on.
    Correct in regard to all of that....(but they do visit....)
    I'm not sure why she's arguing/trolling either........

5. #64 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,601 Times in 9,273 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    Now we know why you are an uneducated moron.
    FO and your gf too
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?

6. #65 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,524 Times in 11,565 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Margot Frank View Post
    FO and your gf too
    Unlike you I have a legal wife and no GF. Just saying.

7. #66 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,601 Times in 9,273 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    Unlike you I have a legal wife and no GF. Just saying.
    My condolences to your wife.
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?

8. The Following User Groans At Mason Michaels For This Awful Post:

Eagle_Eye (12-13-2018)

9. #67 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 14 Times in 13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    Do you know why China in particular and Asian countries (like South Korea) do so well academically, especially in science and math? Please tell us.
    Oh, it's pretty obvious in Canada too. They work much harder. As to the question of why they're motivated to work harder? I look forward to your input and ideas?

Actually, I would suggest that they are superior in all academic endeavours. And there is no race factor that can be considered by our resident racists because Canadian or American born Asians are no better than others after several generations immersion in Western societies.

Having said that, I will consider any racist suggestions and comments not applicable.
    Bringing reform and decency from Canada, one forum at a time.

10. #68 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by montgomery View Post
    Oh, it's pretty obvious in Canada too. They work much harder. As to the question of why they're motivated to work harder? I look forward to your input and ideas?

Actually, I would suggest that they are superior in all academic endeavours. And there is no race factor that can be considered by our resident racists because Canadian or American born Asians are no better than others after several generations immersion in Western societies.

Having said that, I will consider any racist suggestions and comments not applicable.
    Simple answer is it's cultural. However some deem that racist so consider it not applicable.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

leaningright (12-13-2018)

12. #69 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,978 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

The bolded above. BOOM! I agree 100%. As generations pass we have more and more who feel privileged or feel that they are owed something.

As to the motivation to work harder, I’ll have to address that later. Got to take the kid to a basketball game now.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

Sailor (12-13-2018)

14. #70 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The bolded above. BOOM! I agree 100%. As generations pass we have more and more who feel privileged or feel that they are owed something.

As to the motivation to work harder, I’ll have to address that later. Got to take the kid to a basketball game now.
    I'm looking forward to hearing your opinions!

15. #71 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I'm looking forward to hearing your opinions!
    Why they do better...according to Leaningright:

1. Asian parenting - It’s a parenting style that would be considered harsh by most western standards. It’s also similar to the parenting style that was used on me but mine included religious training/teaching as well. It’s a parenting style that has high expectations for the child in both education and behavior. I just saw on the news that some councilman in California was arrested for spanking his 7 year old daughter. What a bunch of nuts.

2. Value placed on education - Along with strict parenting, education is valued. In many of the Asian countries, (I have first hand experience with China and S. Korea) competition is fierce to get into the better schools and kids are expected to do it. This does a couple of things. It makes the kids work hard with parents pushing them and it segregates the kids according to ability. Common sense says you can take a class of learners with a solid background who are motivated to learn much further than a lower performing group. Then, contrast that with the typical American classroom where the instructor has to put up with some nitwit who doesn’t even want to be there so he disrupts the class constantly, influencing marginal kids to join in.

3. I would be leaving out a very important thing if I did not mention teacher pay. I hesitate to mention it because I’m a teacher who knew what I would make going into the profession. I have been teaching 32 years and have just this year eclipsed the $50K mark ... and that’s ok ... for me. I planned to learn to get by in a teacher salary, live my career in a low cost of living area of my state, and be good with it. But consider this: In S. Korea teacher pay is right below the pay of a doctor AND they don’t have to put up with that nitwit kid who hasn’t been taught to behave. I don’t have the exact numbers but a young student from S. Korea was in my math classes (I always try to immerse these kids into our culture outside the classroom) and has become a very good friend of the family. He has been back to stay with us twice since he left. (*A story about him below) We were talking about education in our respective countries and as is usually the case the discussion turned to pay. I showed him what I made, he got out his phone and did some calculating, looked up appalled at how little it was compared to teachers in his country. Which points us back to #2 above ... They simply value education more than we do. They truly see it as a way out of poverty much like my parents did for me.

*Story about the young man from S. Korea: He first comes to our school in the spring for the second semester. I eventually end up taking him fishing. The white bass were running and we caught several. I showed him how to fillet them and how we cook them. It was a fun evening having him as our guest. He went to school the next day and told everyone that Mr. Leaningright had changed his life. He stays over the summer and begins the next school year. I show him how to shoot, I take him rabbit and squirrel hunting and he becomes very proficient with a firearm. I also showed him how we prepare and cook these critters, which he enjoyed. During this time we also teach him to drive and jump through the necessary hoops to get him a driver’s license. So he goes to college for a year or two in China, then has to do his mandatory 2 years in the military (wish we could do that but that’s another thread) and because he’s so proficient with a firearm (he is the best in his division) and also because he can already drive he’s given the job of driving his commander around, both advancing him in the ranks, getting him extra leave time and making his stint in the service much more pleasant that it might have been.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

cawacko (12-14-2018)

17. #72 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

1. Asian parenting - It’s a parenting style that would be considered harsh by most western standards. It’s also similar to the parenting style that was used on me but mine included religious training/teaching as well. It’s a parenting style that has high expectations for the child in both education and behavior. I just saw on the news that some councilman in California was arrested for spanking his 7 year old daughter. What a bunch of nuts.

2. Value placed on education - Along with strict parenting, education is valued. In many of the Asian countries, (I have first hand experience with China and S. Korea) competition is fierce to get into the better schools and kids are expected to do it. This does a couple of things. It makes the kids work hard with parents pushing them and it segregates the kids according to ability. Common sense says you can take a class of learners with a solid background who are motivated to learn much further than a lower performing group. Then, contrast that with the typical American classroom where the instructor has to put up with some nitwit who doesn’t even want to be there so he disrupts the class constantly, influencing marginal kids to join in.

3. I would be leaving out a very important thing if I did not mention teacher pay. I hesitate to mention it because I’m a teacher who knew what I would make going into the profession. I have been teaching 32 years and have just this year eclipsed the $50K mark ... and that’s ok ... for me. I planned to learn to get by in a teacher salary, live my career in a low cost of living area of my state, and be good with it. But consider this: In S. Korea teacher pay is right below the pay of a doctor AND they don’t have to put up with that nitwit kid who hasn’t been taught to behave. I don’t have the exact numbers but a young student from S. Korea was in my math classes (I always try to immerse these kids into our culture outside the classroom) and has become a very good friend of the family. He has been back to stay with us twice since he left. (*A story about him below) We were talking about education in our respective countries and as is usually the case the discussion turned to pay. I showed him what I made, he got out his phone and did some calculating, looked up appalled at how little it was compared to teachers in his country. Which points us back to #2 above ... They simply value education more than we do. They truly see it as a way out of poverty much like my parents did for me.

*Story about the young man from S. Korea: He first comes to our school in the spring for the second semester. I eventually end up taking him fishing. The white bass were running and we caught several. I showed him how to fillet them and how we cook them. It was a fun evening having him as our guest. He went to school the next day and told everyone that Mr. Leaningright had changed his life. He stays over the summer and begins the next school year. I show him how to shoot, I take him rabbit and squirrel hunting and he becomes very proficient with a firearm. I also showed him how we prepare and cook these critters, which he enjoyed. During this time we also teach him to drive and jump through the necessary hoops to get him a driver’s license. So he goes to college for a year or two in China, then has to do his mandatory 2 years in the military (wish we could do that but that’s another thread) and because he’s so proficient with a firearm (he is the best in his division) and also because he can already drive he’s given the job of driving his commander around, both advancing him in the ranks, getting him extra leave time and making his stint in the service much more pleasant that it might have been.
    Love reading this LR, thank you for sharing sir.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

leaningright (12-14-2018)

19. #73 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The Bay Area has a large Asian population so living here for as long as I have I've been thoroughly exposed to it and you are spot on about the culture vis a vis education. I definitely think an argument can be made that they don't focus enough on building up the person so that they have a personality and know how to lead. At a certain point you one can't just be a robot they have to learn how to relate to people. I think America does a better job from that perspective. But overall there's a lot of positive coming from certain Asian cultures regarding academics that we in America can learn from.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

21. #74 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Thanks so much for sharing those honest observations with me! I have no reason nor inclination to doubt anything you've said in the first three paragraphs. But it does leave me with the questions on what you would like to see changed in the American school system? I sense you were trying to make that point a few times. If you're at all interested in explaining what those apparent aims of yours are, I' truly interested in learning.

And thank you for the last paragraph story on how you helped and welcomed a young S.Korean student. That which I would be most interested in hearing would be on your opportunity to learn from him as a South Korean, on how her feels about the impending reunification.

But I have to say, the way you relate his experience in the third person leads to a bit of confusion. You write in a way that leads one to believe that the student is and has experienced that which you are relating in real time. Then that seems to become impossible when you tell of him going to China for a year or two. Perhaps you can explain?

And just a comment or two on guns and hunting. I've hunted quite extensively when I was younger but now I don't own any guns. I'm near 70 now and I don't feel any will to kill anything. In fact, I feel quite strongly against doing it for sport. And besides, I've found that the cost and bother of killing wild meat usually far exceeds the cost of fish, chicken, and the small amount of red meat my wife and I desire. I can also say that most people near my age in Canada have long ago given up blood sports. I suspect that is a little different in the US but not all that different.

I wanted to comment on that part of your message because it seemed to me that you were asking for a comment on guns and hunting.

In any case, more important to me is to hear about what changes you are suggesting should be made to the US public school system. Especially as those changes would pertain to corporal punishment of school children and a teacher's right to administer same?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to montgomery For This Post:

23. #75 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Thanks so much for sharing those honest observations with me! I have no reason nor inclination to doubt anything you've said in the first three paragraphs. But it does leave me with the questions on what you would like to see changed in the American school system? I sense you were trying to make that point a few times. If you're at all interested in explaining what those apparent aims of yours are, I' truly interested in learning.

And thank you for the last paragraph story on how you helped and welcomed a young S.Korean student. That which I would be most interested in hearing would be on your opportunity to learn from him as a South Korean, on how her feels about the impending reunification.

But I have to say, the way you relate his experience in the third person leads to a bit of confusion. You write in a way that leads one to believe that the student is and has experienced that which you are relating in real time. Then that seems to become impossible when you tell of him going to China for a year or two. Perhaps you can explain?

And just a comment or two on guns and hunting. I've hunted quite extensively when I was younger but now I don't own any guns. I'm near 70 now and I don't feel any will to kill anything. In fact, I feel quite strongly against doing it for sport. And besides, I've found that the cost and bother of killing wild meat usually far exceeds the cost of fish, chicken, and the small amount of red meat my wife and I desire. I can also say that most people near my age in Canada have long ago given up blood sports. I suspect that is a little different in the US but not all that different.

I wanted to comment on that part of your message because it seemed to me that you were asking for a comment on guns and hunting.

In any case, more important to me is to hear about what changes you are suggesting should be made to the US public school system. Especially as those changes would pertain to corporal punishment of school children and a teacher's right to administer same?
    Being pressed for time (I’m in the middle of making Christmas candy to go in the care packages we give out and will have to take my boy to a school activity soon) I will address the bolded. I understand how the wording isn’t clear. A bad part about me is that I write like I talk. Sometimes I’m not clear The young man came to school here in December 2012 or 2013, I don’t remember the year for sure but remember that he was just in time for Christmas break. We always teased him about that. He was back here just last summer for three weeks to visit. He’s a good kid.

I’ll, mention on the gun issue that I don’t have much to say nor am I seeking comments. Owning guns, shooting (a lot) and hunting, ... it’s all just the way of life where I live.

The changes I’d make to the US educational system...I’ll preface that later to come response with this. I don’t think anything much will work as long as we try to educate every kid the same way.