Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the difference between the old and new covenant ? Frank

1. #76 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,245 Times in 7,658 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,055 Times in 1,002 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kudzu View Post
    The proposed NEW language for the prayer is "Do NOT ABANDON US to temptation"..

The argument being God never temped anyone to do evil.. Even when Jesus was tempted in the wilderness .. that was Satan, not God.
    But they now are suggesting that they must entreat their god NOT TO LEAD them in that direction. And even if the new language is used...they will be praying that their god NOT ABANDON THEM to go in that direction.

Some god!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Apisa For This Post:

kudzu (12-12-2018)

3. #77 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

God doesn't LEAD anyone into sin or evil.. Bad theology and probably bad translation.
    Kudzu...there may be NO GODS to lead or abandon anyone to do anything.

That is something that must always be considered.

4. #78 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,883 Times in 2,239 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 124 Times in 120 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    Nice evasion.

Either what you said in your earlier post is just a bunch of bullshit...

...OR JESUS LIED when he said he was not here to change any of the law until the Earth passes away.

Don't evade.

Which is it.

Do you think JESUS lied when he said what he said?

If you do not...

...acknowledge that all that bullshit was just bullshit.
    Jesus didnot declare......that the Law would not be fulfilled until the earth passes away. Jesus said, the earth would pass away before He failed to complete His mission on earth. "DO NOT THINK THAT I CAME TO DESTORY THE LAW OR THE PROPHETS. I DID NOT COME TO DESTROY (make the earth pass away) BUT TO FULFILL. FOR ASSUEDLY, I SAY TO YOU, TILL HEAVEN AND EARTH PASS AWAY, ONE JOT OR ONE TITTLE WILL BY NO MEANS PASS FROM THE LAW UNTIL ALL IS FULFILLED." -- Matt. 5:17-18.

Just a little comprehension 101 would go a long way. Jesus said He came to fulfill the law not destroy it. He then declared He had fulfilled that mission, He fulfilled the requirements of the Old Law, "These are the things that I said to you (His Apostles) while I was still with you (living, before His sacrifice on the cross), ALL THINGS MUST BE FULFILLED WHICH WERE WRITTEN IN THE LAW OF MOSES AND THE PROPHETS AND THE PSLAMS CONCERNING...."ME". -- ACTS 1:3-8

The Law and Prophets (the old law) was to be taught until John (the Baptist)…….Since that time the Kingdom of God (the church that Christ established) has been preached, with everyone pressed into it." -- Luke 16:16

5. #79 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Jesus didnot declare......that the Law would not be fulfilled until the earth passes away. Jesus said, the earth would pass away before He failed to complete His mission on earth. "DO NOT THINK THAT I CAME TO DESTORY THE LAW OR THE PROPHETS. I DID NOT COME TO DESTROY (make the earth pass away) BUT TO FULFILL. FOR ASSUEDLY, I SAY TO YOU, TILL HEAVEN AND EARTH PASS AWAY, ONE JOT OR ONE TITTLE WILL BY NO MEANS PASS FROM THE LAW UNTIL ALL IS FULFILLED." -- Matt. 5:17-18.
    READ THAT AGAIN!

That shows JESUS saying that NOT ONE WORD OF THE LAW WILL CHANGE UNTIL THE EARTH PASSES AWAY.

Jesus H. Christ...if you have to lie in order to defend what is said in the Bible...where the hell are you?

6. #80 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

READ THAT AGAIN!

That shows JESUS saying that NOT ONE WORD OF THE LAW WILL CHANGE UNTIL THE EARTH PASSES AWAY.

Jesus H. Christ...if you have to lie in order to defend what is said in the Bible...where the hell are you?
    Not one word did pass away......until Jesus the Christ declared, "IT IS FINISHED." -- John 19:30. Since that time we are no longer bound by the Laws of Moses. In reality not one Gentile was ever bound to the Laws of Moses as the Old Law was specific to the nation of Biblical Israel only. The Sabbath was a unique covenant between Israel and God the Father, not to any other nation on earth -- Ez. 20:5, 10-12.
    Last edited by Ralph; 12-12-2018 at 10:05 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ralph For This Post:

Wolverine (12-12-2018)

8. #81 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Not one word did pass away......until Jesus the Christ declared, "IT IS FINISHED." -- John 19:30. Since that time we are no longer bound by the Laws of Moses. In reality no one Gentile was ever bound by the Law of Moses as that law was specific to Biblical Israel, not the world.
    Get off it, Ralph. If you have to lie to defend what the Bible says...you have lost.

You wrote:

"DO NOT THINK THAT I CAME TO DESTORY THE LAW OR THE PROPHETS. I DID NOT COME TO DESTROY (make the earth pass away) BUT TO FULFILL. FOR ASSUEDLY, I SAY TO YOU, TILL HEAVEN AND EARTH PASS AWAY, ONE JOT OR ONE TITTLE WILL BY NO MEANS PASS FROM THE LAW UNTIL ALL IS FULFILLED." -- Matt. 5:17-18.

Only a moron or a liar would pretend that the "destroy" in that passage refers to making the Earth pass away...rather than what it obviously refers to, namely to destroy any part of the law.

You are an embarrassment to Christianity with that nonsense.

I am an agnostic...and I can do a better and more ethical defense.

9. #82 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Get off it, Ralph. If you have to lie to defend what the Bible says...you have lost.

You wrote:

"DO NOT THINK THAT I CAME TO DESTORY THE LAW OR THE PROPHETS. I DID NOT COME TO DESTROY (make the earth pass away) BUT TO FULFILL. FOR ASSUEDLY, I SAY TO YOU, TILL HEAVEN AND EARTH PASS AWAY, ONE JOT OR ONE TITTLE WILL BY NO MEANS PASS FROM THE LAW UNTIL ALL IS FULFILLED." -- Matt. 5:17-18.

Only a moron or a liar would pretend that the "destroy" in that passage refers to making the Earth pass away...rather than what it obviously refers to, namely to destroy any part of the law.

You are an embarrassment to Christianity with that nonsense.

I am an agnostic...and I can do a better and more ethical defense.
    Either you read the scriptures, (all of them) as truth.....or you allow the traditions of men to make them contradict one another, making lies out of truth. Its not rocket science. Just read the scriptures in context and do not attempt to mold them into your own truth in order to suit your CULT. When Jesus said it is finished (he fulfilled the law) Paul said the Law was nailed to His cross.....I believe the Holy Spirit of God that revealed these truths.

10. #83 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Either you read the scriptures, (all of them) as truth.....or you allow the traditions of men to make them contradict one another, making lies out of truth. Its not rocket science. Just read the scriptures in context and do not attempt to mold them into your own truth in order to suit your CULT. When Jesus said it is finished (he fulfilled the law) Paul said the Law was nailed to His cross.....I believe the Holy Spirit of God that revealed these truths.
    I am reading them as written. You are attempting to distort them because you cannot logically defend your position here.

The quote from JESUS is:

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the law and the prophets. I have come, not to abolish them, but to fulfill them. Of this much I assure you; UNTIL HEAVEN AND EARTH PASS AWAY, not the smallest letter of the law, not the smallest part of a letter shall be done away with until it all comes true."

Matthew 5:17ff

JESUS is saying that NO PART of the law...NOT ONE WORD, NOT ONE LETTER, NOT ONE PART OF A LETTER...shall be done away with until the Earth passes away.

Now you are bringing in John to contradict Jesus.

Get off it.

If you cannot contribute reasonably to the Christian defense, at least have the decency to abandon what you are doing, because all that does is to make the Christian position worse!

11. #84 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,879 Times in 6,106 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 594 Times in 580 Posts
    Blog Entries

I am reading them as written. You are attempting to distort them because you cannot logically defend your position here.

The quote from JESUS is:

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the law and the prophets. I have come, not to abolish them, but to fulfill them. Of this much I assure you; UNTIL HEAVEN AND EARTH PASS AWAY, not the smallest letter of the law, not the smallest part of a letter shall be done away with until it all comes true."

JESUS is saying that NO PART of the law...NOT ONE WORD, NOT ONE LETTER, NOT ONE PART OF A LETTER...shall be done away with until the Earth passes away.

Get off it.

If you cannot contribute reasonably to the Christian defense, at least have the decency to abandon what you are doing, because all that does is to make the Christian position worse!

That is what Jesus said although there were no tape recordings at the time... and by all accounts Jesus was an observant Jew.
    He who is the author of a war lets loose the whole contagion of hell and opens a vein that bleeds a nation to death. Thomas Paine

12. #85 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

That is what Jesus said although there were no tape recordings at the time... and by all accounts Jesus was an observant Jew.
    Yup.

Not sure what Ralph is trying to do with his argument...but it seems to be failing big time.

13. #86 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,879 Times in 6,106 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 594 Times in 580 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yup.

Not sure what Ralph is trying to do with his argument...but it seems to be failing big time.
    I have often wondered who was writing down all those private conversations Jesus had.
    He who is the author of a war lets loose the whole contagion of hell and opens a vein that bleeds a nation to death. Thomas Paine

14. #87 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,386 Times in 3,225 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 189 Times in 178 Posts

If you see this as me having my ass handed to me...you are nuts.

I am showing you CLEARLY the inconsistencies in your thinking.

All you are doing it to state your blind guess that the Bible reveals truths that I am supposed to accept because you say I have to accept them.

What the Bible does say is that JESUS says he was not here to change any of the law...NOT ONE WORD...NOT ONE LETTER OF ONE WORD...NOT ONE STOKE OF ONE LETTER OF ONE WORD.

So get off your bullshit...and acknowledge that.

If Jesus was not lying...then every word of the law still applies.

But then again...you've got Paul and John to fall back on.

They contradict Jesus (essentially calling him a liar)...but you go with them...rather than with the person YOU claim is GOD.

Try to catch up...then attempt that debate rhetoric about being so far behind.
    No you are trying to show yourself as being right, when you are obviously not. The only blind person here is you

15. #88 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I have often wondered who was writing down all those private conversations Jesus had.
    Yeah...especially since the chroniclers seem to be late-comers to the scene.

But...no matter, because some of the wisdom attributed to Jesus is excellent. His thoughts of loving one another is not original...but there is a beauty and utility to it.

Whoever wrote the material in Matthew 5:17 forward...screwed up a bit.

JESUS specifically says he is not here to change any of the law in any way...and essentially, that in no way should anyone consider it changed.

BUT HE DID...on several occasions, make significant adjustments himself.

I said this earlier:

My personal opinion is that the best guess that can be made about the Bible is that it is a self-serving history of the early Hebrew people interspersed with a fanciful religious mythology. My opinion is that the best guess that can be made about the religious aspects of the Bible is that the people writing the material—the people inventing the god—put their prejudices into the mouth of the god they invented.

16. #89 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The quote from JESUS is:

Get off it.

Since Christ has fulfilled the law, we know that “Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth” (Romans 10:4). The law was our enemy since we could not keep it in our own strength. However, we see what Christ did it for us in Colossians 2:14. “Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to His cross.” All praise to the Lord Jesus Christ for fulfilling the law so that it could be taken away. As we read in Romans 6:14, “For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.” We have been set free to serve the Lord in a way that surpasses the law. For example, instead of merely not stealing, we can give to those in need. As we read in Ephesians 4:28, “Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labor, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.” May we experience the liberty of not being under the law but through the power of the Holy Spirit exceed the demands of the law as we joyfully serve our Savior King, the Lord Jesus Christ. (260.6) (DJ)

17. #90 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The proposed NEW language for the prayer is "Do NOT ABANDON US to temptation"..

The argument being God never temped anyone to do evil.. Even when Jesus was tempted in the wilderness .. that was Satan, not God.
    Did you even read 71 I guess not! Since God does not tempt, I am guessing the scripture means what it says in 71