Thread: America is a christian nation?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,825 Times in 14,171 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,453 Times in 1,372 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default America is a christian nation?

“If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

“If Hamas put down their weapons, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons, there would be no Israel."

ברוך השם

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,825 Times in 14,171 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,453 Times in 1,372 Posts
    Blog Entries

“If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

“If Hamas put down their weapons, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons, there would be no Israel."

ברוך השם

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

The Puritans hung Quakers. (See the Problem?)

"The Religious Society of Friends, whose members are commonly known as Quakers, was a Christian movement founded by George Fox in England during the early 1650s. Quakers opposed central church authority, preferring to seek spiritual insight and consensus through egalitarian Quaker meetings. They advocated sexual equality and became some of the most outspoken opponents of slavery in early America. Robinson and Stevenson, who were hanged from an elm tree on Boston Common in Boston, were the first Quakers to be executed in America. Quakers found solace in Rhode Island and other colonies, and Massachusetts’ anti-Quaker laws were later repealed."

"1659
    Quakers executed for religious beliefs"
    https://www.history.com/this-day-in-...igious-beliefs

All of the Religious Cults have one thing in common, they all think their Cult is the Chosen One. And they will kill anyone that disagrees.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jack For This Post:

Controlled Opposition (12-09-2018), kudzu (12-08-2018)

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,879 Times in 6,106 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 594 Times in 580 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post

"The Religious Society of Friends, whose members are commonly known as Quakers, was a Christian movement founded by George Fox in England during the early 1650s. Quakers opposed central church authority, preferring to seek spiritual insight and consensus through egalitarian Quaker meetings. They advocated sexual equality and became some of the most outspoken opponents of slavery in early America. Robinson and Stevenson, who were hanged from an elm tree on Boston Common in Boston, were the first Quakers to be executed in America. Quakers found solace in Rhode Island and other colonies, and Massachusetts’ anti-Quaker laws were later repealed."

"1659

All of the Religious Cults have one thing in common, they all think their Cult is the Chosen One. And they will kill anyone that disagrees.
    Very true.... The various religious groups didn't get along.. whether Quakers, Dutch Reformed, Anabaptists.. whatever. Not very Christian IMO.
    He who is the author of a war lets loose the whole contagion of hell and opens a vein that bleeds a nation to death. Thomas Paine

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kudzu View Post
    Very true.... The various religious groups didn't get along.. whether Quakers, Dutch Reformed, Anabaptists.. whatever. Not very Christian IMO.
    Oh ... VERY Christian.
    Think of Spanish Inquisition. The Epitome of Christian Doctrine. All these Religious Cults are dangerous, ... they will literally kill you if you have a different view.
    Do you notice any similarities with Islam?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jack For This Post:

kudzu (12-09-2018)

8. #6 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,603 Times in 17,045 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

"1659

Me being a Christian, are you afraid I will come and kill you?
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RB 60 For This Post:

Jack (12-09-2018), TOP (12-09-2018)

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    Me being a Christian, are you afraid I will come and kill you?
    As individuals, No. Once they get into Power, then they become violent and aggressive. The Spanish Inquisition is the classic example. Do YOU want to live in a Theocracy? You might say 'Yes' if it was your particular Cult, but what if it was an Islamic Cult? Would you convert or face being labeled a Heretic and watch your wife and children die horrible deaths (that only religious cult types can dream up) before being tortured and put to death yourself?

RB60, as a Christian, do you want to kill people that have different beliefs than you?
    See, RB, there is a guy EXACTLY like you that lives in the Middle East and feels the EXACT same way you do.

11. #8 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,603 Times in 17,045 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

As individuals, No. Once they get into Power, then they become violent and aggressive. The Spanish Inquisition is the classic example. Do YOU want to live in a Theocracy? You might say 'Yes' if it was your particular Cult, but what if it was an Islamic Cult? Would you convert or face being labeled a Heretic and watch your wife and children die horrible deaths (that only religious cult types can dream up) before being tortured and put to death yourself?

RB60, as a Christian, do you want to kill people that have different beliefs than you?
    See, RB, there is a guy EXACTLY like you that lives in the Middle East and feels the EXACT same way you do.
    Power? What do you mean by "power"? Are you in fear of this country becoming a "Theocracy"? You're insane if you are. It will never happen.

"RB60, as a Christian, do you want to kill people that have different beliefs than you?"

Again, you're insane to even think that. I don't even want to argue with those who don't have my spiritual beliefs because I don't care what they believe.
    But you sit there and call me a "cultist" because of my spiritual beliefs, and that is not true. Have I ever insulted/attacked your non belief? I've only ever defended my beliefs.
    I couldn't care less what you believe, or don't believe. Shut up on the matter and you won't get an argument.
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

12. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Oh ... VERY Christian.
    Think of Spanish Inquisition. The Epitome of Christian Doctrine. All these Religious Cults are dangerous, ... they will literally kill you if you have a different view.
    Do you notice any similarities with Islam?
    Not so much in Arabia... although I am sure it exists.

Funny, I attended our annual Hanukkah supper last Tuesday.. We are a bookclub and its evenly distributed with Jews, Christians, Agnostics and Atheists. The subject of the new book Jesus of Arabia came up..and someone said, " don't care what your religion teaches, we each have a choice as to how we're going to treat people".. We are very political little old ladies... and I don't think we are unique out there.
    He who is the author of a war lets loose the whole contagion of hell and opens a vein that bleeds a nation to death. Thomas Paine

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kudzu For This Post:

Phantasmal (12-09-2018)

14. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,630 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,435 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Blog Entries

Not so much in Arabia... although I am sure it exists.

Funny, I attended our annual Hanukkah supper last Tuesday.. We are a bookclub and its evenly distributed with Jews, Christians, Agnostics and Atheists. The subject of the new book Jesus of Arabia came up..and someone said, " don't care what your religion teaches, we each have a choice as to how we're going to treat people".. We are very political little old ladies... and I don't think we are unique out there.
    If you're "very political little old ladies", you're unique....I do agree with the member who made the statement you quoted.... add politics to that...and it's nearly‘ perfect

15. The Following User Says Thank You to TOP For This Post:

kudzu (12-09-2018)

16. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    If you're "very political little old ladies", you're unique....I do agree with the member who made the statement you quoted.... add politics to that...and it's nearly‘ perfect
    In my overlapping social circles which includes artists, bridge, dominos, poker and mahjong we're political.

17. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

In my overlapping social circles which includes artists, bridge, dominos, poker and mahjong we're political.
    ....and unique....that's what I said

18. The Following User Says Thank You to TOP For This Post:

kudzu (12-09-2018)

19. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    ....and unique....that's what I said
    You flatter me.. I think its the "social circles" .. Of course there are men involved in bridge, poker, dominos and art, but the ladies out number the guys.

20. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

You flatter me.. I think its the "social circles" .. Of course there are men involved in bridge, poker, dominos and art, but the ladies out number the guys.
    Unique (social circles? There's a Bravo show in the making.... 'lol)...*you're welcome...

21. The Following User Says Thank You to TOP For This Post:

kudzu (12-09-2018)

22. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I'm having a conversation with others ... and you jump in with this:
    "Me being a Christian, are you afraid I will come and kill you?"

I take the courtesy to respond to your outburst, and then you reply with this:
    "I couldn't care less what you believe, or don't believe. Shut up on the matter and you won't get an argument."

So:
    1. If you 'don't care', why are you jumping into a conversation that others are having?
    2. It's a Discussion Board, you know, where people discuss stuff ... why are you telling me to "shut up"?

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    Power? What do you mean by "power"? Are you in fear of this country becoming a "Theocracy"? You're insane if you are. It will never happen.

"RB60, as a Christian, do you want to kill people that have different beliefs than you?"

Again, you're insane to even think that. I don't even want to argue with those who don't have my spiritual beliefs because I don't care what they believe.
    But you sit there and call me a "cultist" because of my spiritual beliefs, and that is not true. Have I ever insulted/attacked your non belief? I've only ever defended my beliefs.
    I couldn't care less what you believe, or don't believe. Shut up on the matter and you won't get an argument.