Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reading that challenges

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    Some suggestions for reading in the new year, please be aware should you accept the challenge of reading a few of the books listed below you will be changed. Proceed with caution. Great Holiday gifts too.

“One must be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.” Cassandra Clare

Alpha order. Various topics.

'Don't Sleep, There Are Snakes: Life and Language in the Amazonian Jungle' by Daniel L. Everett
    'Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis' by J. D. Vance
    'House of cards : psychology and psychotherapy built on myth' by Robyn M. Dawes
    'Incognito: The Secret Lives of the Brain' David Eagleman
    'Merchants of Doubt' by Naomi Oreskes, Erik M. M. Conway
    'On Human Nature' by Edward O. Wilson
    'On Tyranny: Twenty Lessons from the Twentieth Century' by Timothy Snyder
    'One of Us: The Story of a Massacre in Norway - and Its Aftermath' by Seierstad, Åsne and Sarah Death
    'Paul Farmer: Servant to the Poor' by Jennie Weiss Block
    'Prehistory: The Making Of The Human Mind' by Colin Renfrew
    'The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark' Carl Sagan
    'The Modern Mind: An Intellectual History of the 20th Century' by Peter Watson
    'The Rhetoric of Reaction: Perversity, Futility, Jeopardy' Albert O. Hirschman
    'The Unpersuadables: Adventures with the Enemies of Science' by Will Storr
    'Voltaire's Bastards: The Dictatorship of Reason in the West' John Ralston Saul
    'World Without Mind: The Existential Threat of Big Tech' by Franklin Foer
    'Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance' By Robert Pirsig

Check Goodreads for reviews, many of the books are challenging and they will change you and change the way you see.

"The best advice I ever got was that knowledge is power and to keep reading." David Bailey
    I have read Hillbilly elegy. Good read. I can relate as I lived in Middletown, OH for a little over a year. Left at the earliest opportunity. What a shit hole. Damned Hillbillies ruined the place.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,229 Times in 809 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 176 Times in 163 Posts

"You don’t have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." Ray Bradbury

'How Democracies Die' Steven Levitsky And Daniel Ziblatt'

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/b...aniel-ziblatt/

'Named One Of The Best Books Of The Year by The Washington Post • Time • Foreign Affairs • WBUR • Paste.'

https://soundcloud.com/penguin-audio...-die-by-steven

"Democracies may die at the hands not of generals but of elected leaders—presidents or prime ministers who subvert the very process that brought them to power. Some of these leaders dismantle democracy quickly, as Hitler did in the wake of the 1933 Reichstag fire in Germany. More often, though, democracies erode slowly, in barely visible steps."
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Americans take notice, quote from above book.

'How Democracies Die'

"Institutions become political weapons, wielded forcefully by those who control them against those who do not. This is how elected autocrats subvert democracy-packing and "weaponizing" the courts and other neutral agencies, buying off the media and the private sector (or bullying them into silence), and rewriting the rules of politics to tilt the playing field against opponents. The tragic paradox of the electoral route to authoritarianism is that democracy's assassins use the very institutions of democracy-gradually, subtly, and even legally-to kill it.

America failed the first test in November 2016, when we elected a president with a dubious allegiance to democratic norms. Donald Trump's surprise victory was made possible not only by public disaffection but also by the Republican Party's failure to keep an extremist demagogue within its own ranks from gaining the nomination.

How serious is the threat now? Many observers take comfort in our Constitution, which was designed precisely to thwart and contain demagogues like Donald Trump. Our Madisonian system of checks and balances has endured for more than two centuries. It survived the Civil War, the Great Depression, the Cold War, and Watergate. Surely, then, it will be able to survive Trump.

We are less certain. Historically, our system of checks and balances has worked pretty well-but not, or not entirely, because of the constitutional system designed by the founders. Democracies work best-and survive longer,-where constitutions are reinforced by unwritten democratic norms. Two basic norms have preserved America's checks and balances in ways we have come to take for granted: mutual toleration, or the understanding that competing parties accept one another as legitimate rivals, and forbearance, or the idea that politicians should exercise restraint in deploying their institutional prerogatives. These two norms undergirded American democracy for most of the twentieth century. Leaders of the two major parties accepted one another as legitimate and resisted the temptation to use their temporary control of institutions to maximum partisan advantage. Norms of toleration and restraint served as the soft guardrails of American democracy, helping it avoid the kind of partisan fight to the death that has destroyed democracies elsewhere in the world, including Europe in the 1930s and South America in the 1960s and 1970s.

Today, however, the guardrails of American democracy are weakening. The erosion of our democratic norms began in the 1980s and 1990s and accelerated in the 2000s. By the time Barack Obama became president, many Republicans, in particular, questioned the legitimacy of their Democratic rivals and had abandoned forbearance for a strategy of winning by any means necessary. Donald Trump may have accelerated this process, but he didn't cause it. The challenges facing American democracy run deeper. The weakening of our democratic norms is rooted in extreme partisan polarization-one that extends beyond policy differences into an existential conflict over race and culture. America's efforts to achieve racial equality as our society grows increasingly diverse have fueled an insidious reaction and intensifying polarization. And if one thing is clear from studying breakdowns throughout history, it's that extreme polarization can kill democracies.

There are, therefore, reasons for alarm. Not only did Americans elect a demagogue in 2016, but we did so at a time when .....

pps 8-9 'How Democracies Die' By Steven Levitsky And Daniel Ziblatt

Podcast: https://www.npr.org/2018/01/22/57967...eeper-problems
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,496 Times in 7,584 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 274 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

There seems to be two separate democracies . Agreed there is extreme polarization and I’d divide it into urban and rural. Rural just wants to live in peace with protection from violent crime. Urban has become more and more tolerant of violent and street crime.
    Just read an article where several eastern Oregon counties have voted to secede from Oregon and incorporate into Idaho where the values are similar. Seems like a viable solution to me.

5. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Another great read especially during these times.

'This Is Not Propaganda: Adventures in the War Against Reality' by Peter Pomerantsev

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...not-propaganda

6. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,460 Times in 7,746 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 503 Posts

7. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I have finally come to understand QAnon. For now I'll just say it is about change. Not being a conspiracy fan - I feel so called conspiracy is right in the open and understandable. Q was a bit of a puzzle though. More readings for those who want to know and understand the whys.

"Trump's rise to power was no aberration in American history and that the political project of Trumpism is still very much alive. The full title is "The Cruelty Is The Point: The Past, Present And Future Of Trump's America.""

'Adam Serwer On New Book: 'The Cruelty Is The Point' In Trump's America'

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/27/10107...-trump-america

'The Storm Is Upon Us: How QAnon Became a Movement, Cult, and Conspiracy Theory of Everything' Mike Rothschild - great read

https://howtoacademy.com/podcasts/mi...rise-of-qanon/

And: https://www.britannica.com/topic/QAnon

'QAnon: What is it and where did it come from?'

https://www.bbc.com/news/53498434

"Three can keep a secret, if two of them are dead." Benjamin Franklin

8. The Following User Says Thank You to midcan5 For This Post:

evince (09-30-2022)

9. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Dillon View Post
    He's incredibly pompous and full of himself. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance is pretty damned good though. Just started reading it again after many years.

As for Naomi Oreskes, she should be put up against a wall and machine gunned.

10. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Religion in America today is not Christlike, it seems too concerned with politics and control of the other. Think only of how they cry over the unborn but care nada for the born. Interesting read below.

'Testimony: Inside the evangelical movement that failed a generation'

'Jon Ward’s life is divided in half: two decades inside the evangelical Christian bubble and two decades outside of it.

“A work of raw honesty and deep insight.” Kristin Kobes Du Mez, New York Times best-selling author of Jesus and John Wayne

https://www.jonwardwrites.org/book/testimony

"Jon Ward’s honest, meditative, and beautifully written memoir shines a bright light on the often-obscured links between religion and politics in America." Yuval Levin

11. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Excellent read, check it out.

'American Whitelash' 'A Changing Nation And The Cost Of Progress' By Wesley Lowery

'A masterful blend of narrative history and empathetic reporting.'

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-r...can-whitelash/

12. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,698 Times in 27,336 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    Some suggestions for reading in the new year, please be aware should you accept the challenge of reading a few of the books listed below you will be changed. Proceed with caution .
    I don't think this is for everybody, but here is a pick list of what I have covered in the couple years.

The Master and Margarita - Mikhail Bulgakov
    The Republic - Plato
    Nicomachean Ethics - Aristotle
    Meditations - Marcus Aurelius
    The Master and Margarita - Mikhail Bulgakov
    Beyond Good and Evil - Frederich Nietzsche
    The Analects - Confucious
    The Dhammapada - Sidartha Gautama
    The Story of a Life - Konstantin Pautovsky
    Dao de Jing - Lao Tzu
    The Zhuangzi - Zhuangzi
    Ready Player One - Ernest Cline
    Bhagavad-Gita - Vyasa
    Nervous People and Other Satires - Mikhail Zoshchenko
    Brothers Karamazov - Fyodor Dostoevsky

13. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,157 Times in 1,575 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 156 Times in 143 Posts

What is a book?

14. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 32 Times in 29 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Anonymous View Post
    The Holy Bible
    The Holey Babble.

15. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,305 Times in 13,426 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 843 Times in 802 Posts

Just saw this. I'll have to give it a bit of thought before responding.

16. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,305 Times in 13,426 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 843 Times in 802 Posts

Start with this: