Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Above Plain Politics

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,967 Times in 32,282 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

its a shame this thread has no topic.......it has lots of posters.......

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

Lightbringer (12-16-2018)

3. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,295 Times in 5,845 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 390 Times in 368 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    its a shame this thread has no topic.......it has lots of posters.......
    Which is a violation of the APP rules and by all rights this thread should be locked and the OP suspended from APP. One of the rules here is "no thread derailment: stay on topic" which leaves one to infer that a topic is necessary for each thread and "Hang-out/shooting the bull" threads or personal announcement threads such as you find in the War Zone or in Off-Topic aren't allowed here.
    Don't be afraid to see what you see

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lightbringer For This Post:

anonymoose (12-18-2018)

5. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello montgomery,

Quote Originally Posted by montgomery View Post
    What's your issue? What's your beef? What's your boquet? It's asking for you to put it up as a thread and get some decent and reasonable replies to your ideas. The section has been created for that purpose and now we have enough traffic to make it work!

And make no mistake, the crazies are going to have to behave and if they don't then the moderators are going to be called in.
    It is logical to expect that most will observe the rules, but there will also be some violations. Which is why I have been wondering how this increased demand for moderation is going to affect the staff, and hence the site. And I am perplexed why you think it is just going to happen automatically, or simply refuse to consider the consequences of your actions:

Don't worry so much about 'who' is going to do the moderating. I suspect that there will be very little to do as that section grows.
    And I suspect otherwise.

How is that not going to make any extra work for mods?

Aggressive use of the Ignore Feature completely eliminates online abuse, and doesn't create ANY extra demand for active moderation.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

6. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 14 Times in 13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello montgomery,

It is logical to expect that most will observe the rules, but there will also be some violations. Which is why I have been wondering how this increased demand for moderation is going to affect the staff, and hence the site. And I am perplexed why you think it is just going to happen automatically, or simply refuse to consider the consequences of your actions:

And I suspect otherwise.

Aggressive use of the Ignore Feature completely eliminates online abuse, and doesn't create ANY extra demand for active moderation.
    I refuse to consider the consequences of my actions?? Really? Should I care if it causes the moderators to need to moderate the forum? Isn't that their job?
    Bringing reform and decency from Canada, one forum at a time.

7. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hello montgomery,

And I suspect otherwise.

All I can say and need to say Poli, is that we've just won the fight for a section of the forum where the usual bad actors are going to have to behave. Will they stay and get into decent conversations with us? Or will they leave? Should anybody care? Blahahahahahahahahahaha!

8. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello montgomery,

I refuse to consider the consequences of my actions?? Really? Should I care if it causes the moderators to need to moderate the forum? Isn't that their job?
    I don't know why anyone here would NOT care. The mods are volunteers. They do the work that makes this place function. Creating extra work for them impacts the situation. I think we have a good thing here at JPP just the way it is. I wouldn't want to see it all melt down.

It is perfectly possible to have a rewarding posting experience with self-moderation that doesn't create mod work.

I guess I just don't understand the objection to using a PIP.

Some kind of made-up stigma, it seems.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

9. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hello montgomery,

I don't know why anyone here would NOT care. The mods are volunteers. They do the work that makes this place function. Creating extra work for them impacts the situation. I think we have a good thing here at JPP just the way it is. I wouldn't want to see it all melt down.

It is perfectly possible to have a rewarding posting experience with self-moderation that doesn't create mod work.

I guess I just don't understand the objection to using a PIP.

Some kind of made-up stigma, it seems.
    I hear you and I disagree. I'm suggesting that the moderators actually do some work at moderating the forum. And fwiw, bluedream is doing quite a bit already by paying close attention to the APP section by adding his comments and paying attention to my comments too. I think it's leading to producing a spirit of cooperation that doesn't exist elsewhere on this forum.
    Anything more is privileged between bluedream and me for now.

10. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello montgomery,

I hear you and I disagree. I'm suggesting that the moderators actually do some work at moderating the forum. And fwiw, bluedream is doing quite a bit already by paying close attention to the APP section by adding his comments and paying attention to my comments too. I think it's leading to producing a spirit of cooperation that doesn't exist elsewhere on this forum.
    I am all for civil discourse. I would like it if APP was the main section, and the no-rules nastiness areas were for those who could not fit in at APP. If bluedream is onboard with the increased demands for moderation, I'm glad to hear that. I lend my support to APP for that reason.

11. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

the title of this thread is there for everybody to see and the intent when posting the thread was to have a discussion on the title of the thread. I interpret that as allowing a discussion as it applies to the title.

If anybody has a different interpretation of what should and should not be discussed here on this thread then make that clear to one of the mods in the form of a complaint.

The spamming nonsense is getting over the top now and it's mostly because some members can't get it through their heads that this section of the forum is not for that purpose. STOP IT1

12. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hello montgomery,

I am all for civil discourse. I would like it if APP was the main section, and the no-rules nastiness areas were for those who could not fit in at APP. If bluedream is onboard with the increased demands for moderation, I'm glad to hear that. I lend my support to APP for that reason.
    It's working very well so far, regardless of what the spammers try to destroy it. And this thread is a refuge that I've created expressly for exchanging ideas on the APP section.

As is made obvious by the title: Above Plain Politics

13. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,520 Times in 5,217 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,477 Times in 2,299 Posts

You have an oversized view of your role and impact on this forum

If it helps you get through the day then more power to you.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to canceled.2021.1 For This Post:

Controlled Opposition (12-18-2018)

15. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by I Love America View Post
    You have an oversized view of your role and impact on this forum
    I thnk my view is appropriate on this section of the forum and fwiw, the other section is below my dignity for the most part. Can you explain why it's a concern of yours?

16. #58 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,520 Times in 5,217 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,477 Times in 2,299 Posts

I thnk my view is appropriate on this section of the forum and fwiw, the other section is below my dignity for the most part. Can you explain why it's a concern of yours?
    Did I say it was a concern?

17. #59 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,967 Times in 32,282 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

All I can say and need to say Poli, is that we've just won the fight for a section of the forum where the usual bad actors are going to have to behave. Will they stay and get into decent conversations with us? Or will they leave? Should anybody care? Blahahahahahahahahahaha!
    what fight.......this section has been here for you to use for almost a decade........

18. #60 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,483 Times in 7,579 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 274 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Guille View Post
    Which is a violation of the APP rules and by all rights this thread should be locked and the OP suspended from APP. One of the rules here is "no thread derailment: stay on topic" which leaves one to infer that a topic is necessary for each thread and "Hang-out/shooting the bull" threads or personal announcement threads such as you find in the War Zone or in Off-Topic aren't allowed here.
    Correct. Technically every post in this thread is off topic since there is no topic. Technically everyone who has posted in this thread should be banned from APP for posting off topic.