Thread: 'SC - Notre Dame

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,697 Times in 16,620 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,438 Times in 1,360 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    That and you don’t have a win comparable to our win blowing out the #4 team. As far as I’m concerned if both teams win their championship game they have earned the option the field. Which is the only true objective measure.
    Replay now on BIGTenChannel....

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,638 Times in 9,302 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Threedee View Post
    It works for the NFL. The best SB of all-time featured undefeated New England against the 10-6 New Jersey Giants.
    Comparing the NFL with College isn't a good comparison.
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?

3. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WinterBorn View Post
    The difference is the size of the playoff and the size of the pool of teams.

In the NFL, there are 32 teams competing for 12 spots. 38% get into the playoffs.
    In NCAA FBS, there are 129 teams that would be competing for 8 spots. 6% would get into the playoffs.
    A meaningless statistic if you use objective criteria, like a conference championship, vs inherently biased selection committees.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

4. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

If Georgia beats Alabama in the SEC Championship, Alabama might still get into the playoffs. But then, Alabama's only loss would be to a highly ranked team with one loss. OSU's loss is to an unranked team that went 6-6 in the regular season. That is not bias. That is picking the better team.
    if Alabama loses to UGA and OSU, OK and Clemson win their conference and Alabama is chosen over a one loss Conference champ it is absolute proof positive of SEC bias and that the CFP is rigged. This isn’t last year where the choice was between a 1 loss Alabama who didn’t win their conference and a two loss OSU.

If OSU and OK win their conference championship game and Alabama loses their OSU and OK the better team by objective standards. Who Alabama loses to and when doesn’t mean squat. It only mean they all three lost a game but OSU and OK won their conference championship and Alabama didn’t. They are objectively better teams by winning their championship game on the field as opposed to resumee and opinion.

Then when you look at the back rigging of the polls with a 2 loss LSU team that’s only beaten two ranked opponents and is ranked ahead of One loss OSU and OK and Mississippi States ranking as the top 4 loss team, that is manipulation to pad Bamas resume should they lose. You need to look no further for evidence of SEC bias then that.

If SEC Bias doesn’t exist then a one loss Non Conference Champ will not be chosen over Two P5 one loss conference champs.

So if Bama loses to UGA and is selected over one loss OSU or OK then all hell will break lose.
    Last edited by Mott the Hoople; 11-25-2018 at 12:42 PM.

5. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

F You Lynn Swann for retaining Clay Helton. USC football is my true love and I've never had this much disdain for my beloved University. Unreal.

6. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Horseshit.

If you see no difference between losing to a team that is unranked with a 6-6 regular season record, and losing to a division champion with an 11-1 record, you have lost it.
    And if you don’t understand winning your conference championship you don’t grasp objective standards.

To say another team is better than an other cause of how they lost a game is cray-cray. If OSU wins next week and Bama doesn’t OSU is a P5 Conference Champ and Bama is not. They would have equal records and OSU met an objective requirement (or what should be) and Bama didn’t. Anything other than that is subjective opinion.

Hopefully Bama will moot that by winning.

7. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    F You Lynn Swann for retaining Clay Helton. USC football is my true love and I've never had this much disdain for my beloved University. Unreal.
    It could be worse. They could hire Hairball.

8. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 11 Posts

the sec would never permit a six team playoff where you can only qualify by winning your conference. They would have to have a mythical better team based on opinion than earning it on the field.
    I have no idea what the conference would do. But, as I pointed out earlier, the PAC12 winner may well have 3 losses. If Georgia wins the SEC Championship, Alabama will have 1 loss. How you can say that Utah earned it on the field, when they lost 3 games?

9. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

A meaningless statistic if you use objective criteria, like a conference championship, vs inherently biased selection committees.
    Basing it all on a single game, especially in college football, will result in more inferior teams making the playoffs and locking out better teams.

It has to be the body of work for the season. One of the things I love about college football is the potential for ANY team to win on a given day. But over 12 games, you see who is better. A perfect example is that a 6-6 Purdue beat Ohio State by 29 points. No one in their right mind thinks Purdue is a better overall team than Ohio State.

10. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

And if you don’t understand winning your conference championship you don’t grasp objective standards.

To say another team is better than an other cause of how they lost a game is cray-cray. If OSU wins next week and Bama doesn’t OSU is a P5 Conference Champ and Bama is not. They would have equal records and OSU met an objective requirement (or what should be) and Bama didn’t. Anything other than that is subjective opinion.

Hopefully Bama will moot that by winning.
    It is not HOW they lost a game. It is to whom they lost it.

Being beaten by a 1 loss division champion who is ranked in the top 10 or being beaten by an unranked 6-6 team. Are you saying that those are the same?

11. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Another issue with giving conference champions an automatic spot is that it makes all nonconference games irrelevant.

For the purposes of making the playoffs, Michigan would have been undefeated. The loss to Notre Dame would not have mattered at all.

12. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,340 Times in 10,527 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,917 Times in 4,233 Posts
    Blog Entries

Could be worse. They could hire that cheating son of a bitch, Carroll, back.

13. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by domer76 View Post
    Could be worse. They could hire that cheating son of a bitch, Carroll, back.
    I hope we do hire him back next year. Carroll didn't cheat, he dominated college football. One of the best to ever do it.
    Last edited by cawacko; 11-25-2018 at 08:46 PM.

14. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 73 Times in 72 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    Replay now on BIGTenChannel....
    You think it will cum out the same?
    Anne Frank

15. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 73 Times in 72 Posts

I hope we do hire him back next year. Carroll didn't cheat, he dominated college football. One of the best to every do it.
    Carroll will go down in history as calling the stupidest play in Super Bowl history.
    Anne Frank

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Cancel 2019.1 For This Post:

Minister of Truth (11-25-2018)