Thread: 'SC - Notre Dame

1. #76 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,174 Times in 10,392 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,876 Times in 4,194 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WinterBorn View Post
    Once again, do you have a suggestion of a team that does not schedule cupcakes? Some cupcakes are even conference games.
    SOME cupcakes? 2 Sun Belt and a Southern Conference? lol

Louisville: 2-10
    Arkansas State: 8-4 (Really? Arkansas State?)
    Ole Miss: 5-7
    Louisiana (La Tech): 7-5 (Really? La Tech?)
    Arkansas: 2-10
    Tennessee: 5-7
    The Citadel: 4-6 (Really? The Citadel?)

A minimum of 7-0 for even a mediocre Division I team.

Texas A&M is only 8-4
    Missouri is only 8-4
    LSU is 8-3 however
    Mississippi State is only 8-4
    Auburn is only 7-5

Opponent's schedule: 72-69 over half of which are patsies.

2. #77 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by domer76 View Post
    SOME cupcakes? 2 Sun Belt and a Southern Conference? lol

Louisville: 2-10
    Arkansas State: 8-4 (Really? Arkansas State?)
    Ole Miss: 5-7
    Louisiana (La Tech): 7-5 (Really? La Tech?)
    Arkansas: 2-10
    Tennessee: 5-7
    The Citadel: 4-6 (Really? The Citadel?)

A minimum of 7-0 for even a mediocre Division I team.

Texas A&M is only 8-4
    Missouri is only 8-4
    LSU is 8-3 however
    Mississippi State is only 8-4
    Auburn is only 7-5

Opponent's schedule: 72-69 over half of which are patsies.
    My math shows Alabama's opponents to be 73-69. LSU is 9-3, not 8-3.
    By comparison, Ohio State's opponents combined record is 70-74. Oklahoma's opponents racked up records of 72-69.

As for patsies, OSU played Oregon State, with a resound 3 wins in 2 seasons. 2 of those wins were against FCS teams. What a powerhouse.
    Rutgers is 1-11 this year.
    Tulane is 6-6, way to schedule an out-of-conference monster.

Penn State is 9-3
    Indiana is 5-7
    Minnesota is 6-6
    Purdue is 6-6 (and they beat OSU)
    Nebraska is 4-8
    Michigan State is 7-5
    Maryland is 7-5
    Michigan is 10-2 (your only win against a team with a better record than Alabama's opponents)

Oklahoma is a shade better than Ohio State in the Win/Loss numbers for their opponents.
    Their out-of-conference games are still against lesser teams. Florida Atlantic 5-7, UCLA 3-9, and Army 9-2.

The best team (as far as records go) on Oklahoma's schedule is Texas at 9-3. But their opponents still had fewer wins than Alabama's.
    Baylor is 6-6
    TCU is 6-6
    K State is 5-7
    Texas Tech is 5-7
    OK State is 6-6
    Kansas is 3-9
    West Virginia is 8-3

So yeah, I stand by my statement of some cupcakes.
    No one on Alabama's schedule is as bad as Rutgers or Oregon State.

3. #78 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

And none of this should mean exactly squat.

Here's the deal with the current CFP. What the country wants is a true national championship. Not a regional one, not one that gives away money to NFL towns with Bowl games that could give a shit less about college football and not a championship by proxy decided by talking heads on TV who have a vested financial interest in who plays in the CFP and are utterly incapable of being objective.

So the CFP was a big step in the right direction but a big mistake was make by not making winning a Conference Championship game a requirement, at the insistence of the SEC.

This can be fixed without extending the season into additional games by a couple of reforms but those reforms have to be done on a "you can't have your cake and eat it too" basis which the SEC will not like. That being either winning a Conference Championship game matters or they don't. Right now they don't, which means division championships don't really matter either, which means the CFP is a joke. What matters currently is a beauty contest of subjectivity. To get rid of that we can do two things.

#1. Make Conference championship games mean something. Make winning a conference championship game a requirement for being selected for the CFP. That would solve the current problem. SEC wouldn't like it but it's a fix.

If that's not acceptable than;

#2. Then lets stop pretending conference championships mean something and get rid of them. Based on regular season records alone we know who the conference champions are right now. So instead of this week being conference championship game week we make this the first round of an 8 team play off. The Conference Champion of the Power 5 conferences get automatic bids. That's not an issue. Right now we know that Clemson has the best record in the ACC, OK in the Big 12, Alabama in the SEC, Washington in the Pac 12. OSU and NW have identical conference records, 8-1 but OSU wins about every tie breaker you can think of so OSU would be the Big Ten Champ. That leaves three at large teams selected by record and other objective and subjective criteria. Which means the SEC can still have it's precious second team. It also means a better opportunity for a non-power 5 team to qualify for the CFP. The CFP committee would then rank the teams 1-8 with top four teams hosting the first round. Using the current ranking the match ups would be UA vs UW, Clemson vs. UCF(or Mich), ND vs OSU, GA vs OK. Now I don't know about you guys but I'd rather see any of these match ups than any of the Conference Championship Game as at least of half of the match ups in the Conference Championship games aren't relevant to the National Championship. These match ups would all be relevant.

So my preference would be # 2 though it's not perfect and #1 option would certainly be better than what we currently have. If we select # 2 that also helps with scheduling because the power conference could then just simply get rid of divisions. So this makes option #2 the better choice in my eyes.

As it is now, if the CFP remains as it is, I'd like to see the Big 10 and Pac 12, who keep getting screwed, pull out of CFP, pull the Rose Bowl out of the CFP and continue on with the Rose Bowl tradition of Pac 12 vs BIG and return it back to being the most significant game played annually in College Football.
    Last edited by Mott the Hoople; 11-28-2018 at 04:57 PM.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

4. #79 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,978 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

So we can’t do the “horns down” this weekend. Bunch of snowflakes....

BTW, that the first time I’ve used that term since they started using it to refer to crybabies, but I thought it was entirely appropriate for Texas and the Big 12.

5. #80 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    And none of this should mean exactly squat.

Here's the deal with the current CFP. What the country wants is a true national championship. Not a regional one, not one that gives away money to NFL towns with Bowl games that could give a shit less about college football and not a championship by proxy decided by talking heads on TV who have a vested financial interest in who plays in the CFP and are utterly incapable of being objective.

So the CFP was a big step in the right direction but a big mistake was make by not making winning a Conference Championship game a requirement, at the insistence of the SEC.

This can be fixed without extending the season into additional games by a couple of reforms but those reforms have to be done on a "you can't have your cake and eat it too" basis which the SEC will not like. That being either winning a Conference Championship game matters or they don't. Right now they don't, which means division championships don't really matter either, which means the CFP is a joke. What matters currently is a beauty contest of subjectivity. To get rid of that we can do two things.

#1. Make Conference championship games mean something. Make winning a conference championship game a requirement for being selected for the CFP. That would solve the current problem. SEC wouldn't like it but it's a fix.

If that's not acceptable than;

#2. Then lets stop pretending conference championships mean something and get rid of them. Based on regular season records alone we know who the conference champions are right now. So instead of this week being conference championship game week we make this the first round of an 8 team play off. The Conference Champion of the Power 5 conferences get automatic bids. That's not an issue. Right now we know that Clemson has the best record in the ACC, OK in the Big 12, Alabama in the SEC, Washington in the Pac 12. OSU and NW have identical conference records, 8-1 but OSU wins about every tie breaker you can think of so OSU would be the Big Ten Champ. That leaves three at large teams selected by record and other objective and subjective criteria. Which means the SEC can still have it's precious second team. It also means a better opportunity for a non-power 5 team to qualify for the CFP. The CFP committee would then rank the teams 1-8 with top four teams hosting the first round. Using the current ranking the match ups would be UA vs UW, Clemson vs. UCF(or Mich), ND vs OSU, GA vs OK. Now I don't know about you guys but I'd rather see any of these match ups than any of the Conference Championship Game as at least of half of the match ups in the Conference Championship games aren't relevant to the National Championship. These match ups would all be relevant.

So my preference would be # 2 though it's not perfect and #1 option would certainly be better than what we currently have. If we select # 2 that also helps with scheduling because the power conference could then just simply get rid of divisions. So this makes option #2 the better choice in my eyes.

As it is now, if the CFP remains as it is, I'd like to see the Big 10 and Pac 12, who keep getting screwed, pull out of CFP, pull the Rose Bowl out of the CFP and continue on with the Rose Bowl tradition of Pac 12 vs BIG and return it back to being the most significant game played annually in College Football.
    I disagree that the Big10 and the Pac12 keep getting screwed.

And as for the conference championships being required to get into the playoff, I couldn't disagree more.

This week Ohio State will play for the Big10 Championship. Ohio State has a horrible loss to a team that only became bowl eligible on the last game of the season. OSU had to play overtime to beat Maryland. A team that is not even bowl eligible. And their opponent in the Big10 Championship game? Northwestern.

Northwestern is 8-4. Northwestern lost to Akron. AKRON! And yet, if they win this one ball game, you think they should be in the playoffs? Over 1 and 2 loss Power 5 teams?

I can't get behind that. It obviously leaves better teams outside in favor of the winners of a single game.

6. #81 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 991 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 313 Times in 276 Posts

I can't believe I'm agreeing with you on anything, but I do agree with you on this.

7. #82 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Well turns out for me that things worked out pretty well. ND got a pass on the no conference championship but that’s no surprise and they are undefeated. The teams selected sorted it out on the field. Picking OK was pretty much a coin toss and I congratulate them. I Think the Heisman was sorted out too.

8. #83 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

By the way. Hats off to Northwestern last night. Most improved team in the Big 5 this years. All in all we went 12-1, trounced Mi and ruined their season, had a new QB who smashed records, now conference champion and possibly a Rose Bowl champ. To bad we’re locked into that game. They would make twice as much money with OSU vsGA.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

leaningright (12-02-2018)

10. #84 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,978 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Well turns out for me that things worked out pretty well. ND got a pass on the no conference championship but that’s no surprise and they are undefeated. The teams selected sorted it out on the field. Picking OK was pretty much a coin toss and I congratulate them. I Think the Heisman was sorted out too.
    All I got to say about the whole deal is