Thread: Here are 5 ways President Trump behaves like the leader of a corrupt banana republic

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,493 Times in 9,085 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,427 Times in 1,256 Posts

Default Here are 5 ways President Trump behaves like the leader of a corrupt banana republic

Here are 5 ways President Trump behaves like the leader of a corrupt banana republic

It's one of the most troubling trends of his presidency.

Whenever John Dean, Jill Wine-Banks, Dan Rather or Carl Bernstein are asked to discuss President Donald Trump’s controversies on CNN or MSNBC, a word that inevitably comes up is “Watergate.” Wine-Banks was a Watergate prosecutor in the 1970s, while Rather and Bernstein reported on Watergate extensively as journalists—and Dean served as White House counsel under the Richard Nixon Administration. Dean and Bernstein appeared together on CNN on November 20, discussing the revelation that Trump urged the Department of Justice to pursue criminal charges against Democrat Hillary Clinton and former FBI Director James Comey.

Dean told CNN, “If I had to channel a little of Richard Nixon, I think he’d tell this President he’s going too far. This is the sort of stuff of a banana republic [3]….This is a level Richard Nixon never went to, where you went after somebody’s personal well-being by a criminal prosecution.” And Dean didn’t get any argument from fellow Watergate-era veteran Bernstein, who denounced Trump’s actions as exemplary of his “abuse of presidential power” and his “embrace of authoritarianism.”

Certainly, “banana republic” are strong words, but in Trump’s case, they are appropriate. Here are five ways in which President Trump has conducted himself like the leader of a corrupt banana republic.

https://www.alternet.org/print/news-...anana-republic

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to signalmankenneth For This Post:

Frank Apisa (11-24-2018), kudzu (11-24-2018), moon (11-24-2018), Phantasmal (11-27-2018)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,185 Times in 7,629 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,051 Times in 998 Posts

Trump is an abomination...an existential threat to our Republic.

The people who continue to support him are either insane or terminally stupid.

Anyone who does not see the authoritarian streak in him is WILLFULLY blind.

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,173 Times in 5,910 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 593 Times in 557 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    Trump is an abomination...an existential threat to our Republic.

The people who continue to support him are either insane or terminally stupid.

Anyone who does not see the authoritarian streak in him is WILLFULLY blind.
    Or both. I mean, you have to be a fucking moron to vote for a fucking moron. Right?

Republican Congressman Ken Buck:
    “We’re at a time in American politics, that I am not going to lie on behalf of my presidential candidate, on behalf of my party. And I’m very sad that others in my party have taken the position that, as long as we get the White House, it doesn’t really matter what we say,”

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Capitalist For This Post:

Frank Apisa (11-24-2018)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,185 Times in 7,629 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,051 Times in 998 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DonaldvoTrumpovich View Post
    Or both. I mean, you have to be a fucking moron to vote for a fucking moron. Right?

I tend to go easier on the people who voted for him. They made a horrible mistake.

BUT THE PEOPLE STILL SUPPORTING HIM ARE TRAITORS TO OUR NATION...AND TO HUMANITY.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Apisa For This Post:

jimmymccready (11-24-2018)

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,173 Times in 5,910 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 593 Times in 557 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    I tend to go easier on the people who voted for him. They made a horrible mistake.

BUT THE PEOPLE STILL SUPPORTING HIM ARE TRAITORS TO OUR NATION...AND TO HUMANITY.
    The people who are still sucking his dick are too embarrassed to admit they made a horrible mistake. It makes them look stupider than they actually are.

But we all know it takes a fucking moron to vote for a fucking moron.

Republican Congressman Ken Buck:
    “We’re at a time in American politics, that I am not going to lie on behalf of my presidential candidate, on behalf of my party. And I’m very sad that others in my party have taken the position that, as long as we get the White House, it doesn’t really matter what we say,”

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Capitalist For This Post:

Frank Apisa (11-27-2018)