Thanked 14,309 Times in 10,500 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,917 Times in 4,233 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by volsrock View Post
    https://www.policeone.com/chiefs-she...d=%5Bcub_id%5D

Wat say u Libs?

U have to support this!
    It's obvious he doesn't have a clue regarding the 2nd Amendment. Not surprising. A pissant redneck police chief in a pissant redneck version of Mayberry.

His utter stupidity is obvious from this statement:

And as for having five days to report a stolen gun, he says, “So now you have to check your safe every five days to make sure it’s not been broken into, and make the inventory of guns is still correct? It’s ridiculous.”

It appears HE'S too stupid to carry a gun. Give old Barney Fife there one bullet so he doesn't hurt too many people.

We'll see what action the state's AG takes.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 895 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 88 Times in 87 Posts

"And as for having five days to report a stolen gun, he says, “So now you have to check your safe every five days to make sure it’s not been broken into, and make the inventory of guns is still correct? It’s ridiculous.” d7 #2
    I deduce d7 #2 interprets these words not on literal meaning, but on basis of some deeply ingrained emotional aversion.

I haven't read the text of the law.
    But I give the COP benefit of doubt. If the law says gun owners are REQUIRED to report gun theft within 5 days, and failure to do so is a crime, and a gun owner doesn't notice the gun theft until after the deadline, that law makes that otherwise law abiding citizen a criminal.
    Dislike it all you like.

IF that's the meaning of the law, the COP is right.

BUT !!

In practical terms, I would hope most gun owners secure their weapons in such way that their theft would be swiftly detected.
    "It should be obvious to anyone why conservatives and libertarians should be against Trump. He has no grounding in belief. No core philosophy. No morals. No loyalty. No curiosity. No empathy and no understanding. He demands personal loyalty and not loyalty to the nation. His only core belief is in his own superiority to everyone else. His only want is exercise more and more personal power." smb / purveyor of fact 18/03/18

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sear View Post
    I deduce d7 #2 interprets these words not on literal meaning, but on basis of some deeply ingrained emotional aversion.

But I give the COP benefit of doubt. If the law says gun owners are REQUIRED to report gun theft within 5 days, and failure to do so is a crime, and a gun owner doesn't notice the gun theft until after the deadline, that law makes that otherwise law abiding citizen a criminal.
    Dislike it all you like.

BUT !!

In practical terms, I would hope most gun owners secure their weapons in such way that their theft would be swiftly detected.
    If you have a safe with guns, you don’t need to go examine it and do inventory to make sure it hasn’t been broken into. Unless you just leave it open all the time. It was a massively stupid statement.

Plus, he reinforced his ignorance with the statement concerning the 2nd.

He can follow the law or not. Just be willing to pay the consequences for disobedience.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 895 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 88 Times in 87 Posts

"If you have a safe with guns, you don’t need to go examine it and do inventory to make sure it hasn’t been broken into. Unless you just leave it open all the time." d7
    Correct.
    The Washington Chief Of Police (COP) knows that as well as you do.
    "It was a massively stupid statement." d7
    Piffle.
    You're arguing such theft would be unlikely to escape the owner's attention.
    The COP knows that better than you.

Instead, the COP is ahead of you, not even addressing noticability, but instead stating an irrefutable truism:
    - if the law gives a 5 day deadline, and
    - if the gun owner FOR WHATEVER REASON, OR NO REASON AT ALL !!! !!!
    does not detect the theft until the 5 days has elapsed, such law incriminates that formerly law abiding citizen.
    I realize you have exceedingly limited experience in such matters.
    So I'll cite one scenario that satisfies the COP's observation.

If the gun owner secures his gun in the safe or strong box, and takes a two week vacation in Barbados, only to return home to learn that either the container was breached and the gun stolen, or the strong box or safe was stolen, removed from the home,
    and detectives prove the theft happened more than 5 days before reported, that crime victim is himself a criminal, BECAUSE OF THIS NEW LAW !!! !!!

"It was a massively stupid statement." d7
    It may be a statistically unlikely scenario. But it is factually inerrant, IF the law is written as I described above.
    If not, then I agree with you.

But Ockham's Razor:
    any COP so out of touch with reality to not understand such basics of law wouldn't be in that line of work for long; and almost certainly would never become chief.
    "It should be obvious to anyone why conservatives and libertarians should be against Trump. He has no grounding in belief. No core philosophy. No morals. No loyalty. No curiosity. No empathy and no understanding. He demands personal loyalty and not loyalty to the nation. His only core belief is in his own superiority to everyone else. His only want is exercise more and more personal power." smb / purveyor of fact 18/03/18

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sear For This Post:

Frank Apisa (11-20-2018)

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,634 Times in 10,060 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,101 Times in 1,013 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by domer76 View Post
    It's obvious he doesn't have a clue regarding the 2nd Amendment. Not surprising. A pissant redneck police chief in a pissant redneck version of Mayberry.

His utter stupidity is obvious from this statement:

And as for having five days to report a stolen gun, he says, “So now you have to check your safe every five days to make sure it’s not been broken into, and make the inventory of guns is still correct? It’s ridiculous.”

It appears HE'S too stupid to carry a gun. Give old Barney Fife there one bullet so he doesn't hurt too many people.

We'll see what action the state's AG takes.
    But it's OK for a police chief or sheriff to not enforce immigration law

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,032 Times in 14,528 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,387 Times in 1,305 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sear View Post

Dislike it all you like.

BUT !!

Two things:

The cop doesn't have the ability to enforce, or not enforce the law. Enforcement will come via the point of sale, where the enhanced background check/age limit will come into play.

The time limit on reporting a theft applies only to culpability if your gun was used in a crime. Another issue that Barney Fife has no control over. This would be an issue that's handled in the courts.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

9. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Local cops don't enforce Fed. laws.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

10. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,634 Times in 10,060 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,101 Times in 1,013 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    Local cops don't enforce Fed. laws.
    ICE enforcement agreement

The program, one of ICE's top partnership initiatives, allows a state or local law enforcement entity to enter into a partnership with ICE, under a joint Memorandum of Agreement, in order to receive delegated authority for immigration enforcement within their jurisdictions.

http://www.insidenova.com/culpeper/n...b9d476345.html

11. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

ICE enforcement agreement

The program, one of ICE's top partnership initiatives, allows a state or local law enforcement entity to enter into a partnership with ICE, under a joint Memorandum of Agreement, in order to receive delegated authority for immigration enforcement within their jurisdictions.

http://www.insidenova.com/culpeper/n...b9d476345.html
    LMAO

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Althea For This Post:

Rune (11-20-2018)

13. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Enforcing federal immigration laws is the responsibility of the feds. Local policing is the responsibility of local police.

Comprende?