Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Stock-market decline accelerates after big drop in home builder confidence

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,410 Times in 10,039 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Getin the ring View Post
    not that it has anything to do with the thread title, but tell us sweet girlyman, what proof do you have of such an obsurd claim
    The fact they opposed an individual mandate and cap-and-trade when both were Conservative policy proposals for at least a decade.
    When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist

2. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,916 Times in 6,548 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,882 Times in 1,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    SMH, you just asked how they keep them low. They keep them low by not raising them. Not a difficult concept.

Are you of the belief rates can be kept at basically zero forever and there will be no negative repercussions down the road?
    You dont have a clue.........

3. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
    keeping interest rates at zero for almost eight years?
    The interest rates were never 0%, particularly during the Bush Housing Bubble.

4. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by floridafan View Post
    You dont have a clue.........
    So you can't respond to what you think will happen after about seven years of interest rates held at zero.

5. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,335 Times in 22,664 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,239 Times in 2,979 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
    The problem with most of what cawacko argues is that he hasn't bothered to do the necessary research to support his arguments. So he ends up repeating nonsense he's gleaned off message boards because it's easier and safer for him than actually doing the work.

During the Bush Mortgage Bubble, interest rates started rising in 2004, which was the same year the subprime mortgage bubble started. It wasn't the interest rates that made subprimes go from 133,000 issued a year to 266,000 issued a year, it was the relaxing of lending standards that did that. And the only reason those standards were weakened was because Bush wanted to artificially inflate a housing market to make the economy look like it was growing as a result of his tax cuts, when it was really growing as a result of debt.
    The problem with you is that you are a race hustling hyper partisan moron on steroids. Read and become better informed, it had NOTHING to do with Bush:

THERE ARE TWO KEY EXAMPLES of this misguided government policy. One is
    the Community Reinvestment Act (CRA). The other is the affordable housing “mission” that the government-sponsored enterprises (GSEs) Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were charged with fulfilling.

As originally enacted in 1977, the CRA vaguely mandated regulators to consider whether an insured bank was serving the needs of the “whole” community. For 16 years, the act was invoked rather infrequently, but 1993 marked a decisive turn in its enforcement. What changed? Substantial media and political attention was showered upon a 1992 Boston Federal Reserve Bank study of discrimination in home mortgage lending. This study concluded that, while there was no overt discrimination in banks’ allocation of mortgage funds, loan officers gave whites preferential treatment. The methodology of the study has since been questioned, but at the time it was highly influential with regulators and members of the incoming Clinton administration; in 1993, bank regulators initiated a major effort to reform the CRA regulations.

https://spectator.org/42211_true-ori...ancial-crisis/
    Last edited by Truth Detector; 11-19-2018 at 12:58 PM.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

6. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hey Einstein, do you recognize we are in the year 2018 and talking about the current housing bubble and its effect on today's stock market
    You can't understand today's market without understanding what happened 10 years ago.

But great to watch you try and defend Greenspan for his mismanagement of the economy.
    Greenspan didn't run the economy. REPUBLICANS DID. And under Republican stewardship, the economy collapsed and never really recovered.

7. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You can't understand today's market without understanding what happened 10 years ago.

Greenspan didn't run the economy. REPUBLICANS DID. And under Republican stewardship, the economy collapsed and never really recovered.
    I see. He was just labeled "The Maestro" because...

8. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

thank you, FF clearly hasn't researched this
    Maybe you can explain how the Fed caused the housing bubble during Bush when interest rates were rising during the bubble.

9. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,916 Times in 6,548 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,882 Times in 1,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

So you can't respond to what you think will happen after about seven years of interest rates held at zero.
    For the past 4 years+ nothing was held at zero, it was just normal market conditions and a lack of inflation.

10. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Maybe you can explain how the Fed caused the housing bubble during Bush when interest rates were rising during the bubble.
    He did it by pushing rates to almost zero to help push the economy of recession and the effects of 9/11. That was the impetus for it all.

11. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

For the past 4 years+ nothing was held at zero, it was just normal market conditions and a lack of inflation.
    Superfreak just posted the rates. They did not start raising rates four years ago. It was until end of 2015. And zero interest rates aren't a normal market. They created a housing and equity bubble.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Truth Detector (11-19-2018)

13. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Today's stock market is shitty and flat YTD. That's not because of Housing, QE or the Fed; it's because your shitty tax cut didn't deliver on the promises made of it.
    Another painfully stupid claim; that tax cuts are causing the current corrections in the market. You're quite full of stupid aren't you snowflake?
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.

14. #58 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Poor baby, markets do adjust they make take days weeks or a couple of months, but not a fucking year. You NEVER saw this horrendous performance during the Obama administration. Making this far worse, is the tax cut which was supposed to spur the economy. The stock market tells us it did nothing.
    The market has hit numerous records this year, you brain dead dumbfuck. It is in a correction right now. Stop blabbering when it is obvious you lack the IQ to even discuss this left alone argue about it.

15. #59 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,219 Times in 3,171 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 239 Times in 227 Posts

try again that want what I said homer.
    Try using English.

You stated the Fed hadn't done anything regarding rates in four years. They actually left rates low until three years ago. Since then they have been slowly raising them. You seem to think QE is the only way they can alter rates. Which shows your lack of knowledge on the topic.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Superfreak For This Post:

Truth Detector (11-19-2018)

17. #60 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I see. He was just labeled "The Maestro" because...
    Who gives a shit who called him what?

Why are you so obsessed with labels?

It wasn't Greenspan who passed budget-busting, deficit-inducing, debt-expanding tax cuts...that was all you guys.
    It wasn't Greenspan whose regulators ceased enforcement of lending standards to increase subprime lending...that was all you guys.
    It wasn't Greenspan who protected predatory lending by invoking an OCC rule to wipe out state protections (a move opposed by all 50 state attorneys general)...that was all you guys.
    It wasn't Greenspan who campaigned on increasing home ownership...that was all you guys.
    It wasn't Greenspan who let the TBTF banks police themselves in exchange for lowered leverage restrictions (worst deal ever, by the way)...that was all you guys.
    It wasn't Greenspan who squandered a budget surplus on pointless tax cuts that only increased debt, instead of jobs to update our power grid or combat Climate Change...that was all you guys.

So you're blaming Greenspan for the Conservative policy enacted by a Conservative Congress and Bush the Dumber.

Amazing...he must have some kind of weird Jedi mind trick to be able to make Republicans do all that shit.