Members banned from this thread: Hermes Thoth, SmarterthanYou, USFREEDOM911, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Granule, canceled.2021.1, Boris The Animal, canceled.2021.2, MAGA MAN, iewitness, Irish, CFM, Ralph, Lightbringer, Sailor, Life is Golden, Bigdog, TTQ64, Getin the ring, zymurgy, Superfreak, PraiseKek, Eagle_Eye, katzgar, countryboy, Tommatthews, volsrock, The Ugly Truth, BodyDouble, coolzone, rhym3pays, LV426, Into the Night, Enlightened One and Anarchon

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stronger Hurricanes. More Intense Wildfires. Predicted By Science Now Climate Reality

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    The Capitalists understand the System is based on an EXPANDING population of Consumers.
    Once the population contracts, there will be LESS Buyers of their Products.
    LESS Buyers is Bad for Business.

You can see why Capitalist Governments want MORE People (MORE Consumers to buy MORE Corporate Products)

Do your part, Fentoine ... "Go Shopping".
    Well, there's a big problem there for capitalism. Reducing the size of your carbon footprint is all about Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.

People are learning how to reduce their personal needs, reuse and repurpose existing things. Any product that you can find a new life for, perhaps not for what was intended, but something equally useful, means that is another thing that doesn't go into the waste stream. And another thing you don't have to buy. So fuel isn't used to transport that unpurchased product to your home, and fuel is not used to haul stuff away.

And such new habits are rewarding: Saves you money to Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.

My county has a recycling center with a whole 'store' full of display racks of partially-used chemical products. All of it is free for the taking. Conscientious people bring the stuff in when they are dropping off their recycled motor oil. There's paint there and everything. It's great. Nice community project.

I learned how to be a hyper-miler. Everybody else is zooming up to every light, slamming the brakes,,, I just let 'em all go, time the lights, and come rolling up behind them about the time it turns green. I go with the same pack that burned up their gas and brakes fighting for position, and if I time it right I never even use my brakes. Man. I gotta say. Along with maximizing your dollars spent on gasoline and oil, tires and brakes last FOREVER when hyper-miling.

I also find I have a lot less garbage to go out since I began recycling, gardening and composting. Some pick-up days I don't even put the can out, allowing the truck to make one fewer stops, that much less fuel burned getting going again. The recycle bin doesn't fill up between pick-ups, either. And since all of that stuff is properly folded and rinsed, it doesn't stink. So that doesn't go out until it is completely full, eliminating more truck stops and restarts. Saves the truck brakes, too. Longer lasting trucks - fewer parts needed. Less fuel used to bring parts to the truck shop. It all ties in to the big picture.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Jack (11-17-2018)

3. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Minister of Truth For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (11-18-2018)

5. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,978 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Threedee View Post
    Why is the OP afraid to discuss climate change with Tom?

I wonder...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

7. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,419 Times in 7,538 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 270 Times in 253 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Good.

Let's make this thread no flames. Please fight clean. Attack the argument, not the poster. Thanks.
    I'm not sure what the argument is but hopefully CA learns from this.
    Instead of putting out every little fire that comes along do controlled brush fire in the future. It's called land management.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to anonymoose For This Post:

PoliTalker (11-18-2018)

9. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Well, there's a big problem there for capitalism. Reducing the size of your carbon footprint is all about Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.

People are learning how to reduce their personal needs, reuse and repurpose existing things. Any product that you can find a new life for, perhaps not for what was intended, but something equally useful, means that is another thing that doesn't go into the waste stream. And another thing you don't have to buy. So fuel isn't used to transport that unpurchased product to your home, and fuel is not used to haul stuff away.

And such new habits are rewarding: Saves you money to Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.

My county has a recycling center with a whole 'store' full of display racks of partially-used chemical products. All of it is free for the taking. Conscientious people bring the stuff in when they are dropping off their recycled motor oil. There's paint there and everything. It's great. Nice community project.

I learned how to be a hyper-miler. Everybody else is zooming up to every light, slamming the brakes,,, I just let 'em all go, time the lights, and come rolling up behind them about the time it turns green. I go with the same pack that burned up their gas and brakes fighting for position, and if I time it right I never even use my brakes. Man. I gotta say. Along with maximizing your dollars spent on gasoline and oil, tires and brakes last FOREVER when hyper-miling.

I also find I have a lot less garbage to go out since I began recycling, gardening and composting. Some pick-up days I don't even put the can out, allowing the truck to make one fewer stops, that much less fuel burned getting going again. The recycle bin doesn't fill up between pick-ups, either. And since all of that stuff is properly folded and rinsed, it doesn't stink. So that doesn't go out until it is completely full, eliminating more truck stops and restarts. Saves the truck brakes, too. Longer lasting trucks - fewer parts needed. Less fuel used to bring parts to the truck shop. It all ties in to the big picture.
    i do the same. My car is almost 20 years old and I can't even remember the last time i changed out the rotors.
    I'm not stressed trying to"make time"and the car gets better mileage and less wear and tear.

The Florida sun eats the rubber tires and wipers - but I keep it clean and up on maintanence
    Love my Ford Taurus hatchback

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

PoliTalker (11-18-2018)

11. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello noise,

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    i do the same. My car is almost 20 years old and I can't even remember the last time i changed out the rotors.
    I'm not stressed trying to"make time"and the car gets better mileage and less wear and tear.

The Florida sun eats the rubber tires and wipers - but I keep it clean and up on maintanence
    Love my Ford Taurus hatchback
    Right on. Yeah, I've got a theory on the wipers. The build-up of dirt and bug chemicals on the surface eats 'em up. So get a habit of always doing the windshield when getting gas, and make sure you wipe down the wipers while you're doing it. Makes the wipers last longer.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

dukkha (11-18-2018)

13. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Threedee,

Why is the OP afraid to discuss climate change with Tom?
    I suspect you already know.

OK, in the first place, I have no idea who you are even talking about. I've read every comment in this thread. No 'Tom' here.

2. You have failed to establish fear is even involved by simply making an unsubstantiated claim.

3. We both know you're probably talking about somebody from my Ignore List. I have made no secret of my PIP, Personal Ignore Policy. (Hey. I like that. I might have to start using that in my Signature...) We all have the tools to control who we choose to associate with here. I use 'em. People who lack social graces tend to hang out in online chat rooms (maybe because they don't have many friends in real life?) Whatever, not my concern. I only want to talk to interesting people who focus on the subject. Flame wars are useless, boring time wasters. Not interested! So I use an aggressive Ignore List. And I add the twist just to make sure it is understood I don't play games: My Ignore List is permanent. So if this person is on my Ignore List, that's it. There is no question. Every entry was done with the knowledge that it would be permanent. No exceptions. That's the reason I won't discuss this or anything with such an individual. Ever. Read the PIP.

I understand there are lots of people here who are all desensitized to the personal attacks. They think nothing of it. Trade 'em back and forth all day long. Really vile stuff. Such nasty stuff, there has to be a rule 12b, and even that gets broken. Hey. If that's what people are into, this is the place. It's allowed. (well, almost everything) But all that is not required. I didn't come here to play mind games. I'm PoliTalker, and I came to talk about Just Plain Politics. (Imagine such a thing at a web site called that!) For those who want to partake in food fights, a good handle might be 'Nuisance_Flamer.' Or perhaps, 'Not_Happy_In_Life_Envious_Of_Those_Who_Are.'

I don't recall signing up at a chat room called 'Food-Fight-A-Rama.'

I came to talk about . just . plain . politics .

PIP violation ain't that.

14. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

15. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello anonymoose,

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
    Instead of putting out every little fire that comes along do controlled brush fire in the future. It's called land management.
    Well, it seems to be fairly 'unanimoose,' anonymoose.

(sorry, couldn't resist.)

Most of the comments here are in agreement.

Could it be that nearly everyone who disagrees that industrial activity has an impact on global warming, also happens to be banned from commenting here?

Why does the thought of that not surprise me.

And yes, absolutely. CA needs to do more aggressive controlled burns. I bet a lot of places do.

16. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

17. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,011 Times in 3,467 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 494 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I caught just a part of a Tom Friedman trip to Africa where he noted it's getting hotter and the agricultural fields need more water to survive. People are beginning to migrate out of the area.
    Except plants need less water with increased CO2. And Africa has a long history of droughts. And 60% of Africa has no weather data at all! It's all infilled. You really ought to look into the details of this theory you believe. LOL

18. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
    That makes too much sense.

I think the OP point is if you drive less, it will cut down on the intensity of CA wildfires. Or capitalism or something lol.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

20. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello tinfoil,

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoil View Post
    Except plants need less water with increased CO2. And Africa has a long history of droughts. And 60% of Africa has no weather data at all! It's all infilled. You really ought to look into the details of this theory you believe. LOL
    Lake Chad is a puddle compared to it's former self. Many of the migrants out of Africa left because they could no longer support themselves there. That includes subsistence farming.

21. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Darth,

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Beto Omar View Post
    That makes too much sense.

I think the OP point is if you drive less, it will cut down on the intensity of CA wildfires.
    Correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Beto Omar View Post
    Or capitalism or something lol.
    I don't think a credible threat to our only habitat is anything to take lightly. Capitalism is actually beginning to support solutions in some ways, but we can't rely on that or wait for it. Capitalism is as capitalism does. It just chases profitability. There is no goal within capitalism which supports the longevity of human life. The goal is profits for capitalists. Period. If it makes money to destroy ourselves, somebody is willing to do that for the money.

22. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hello Threedee,

I suspect you already know.

OK, in the first place, I have no idea who you are even talking about. I've read every comment in this thread. No 'Tom' here.

2. You have failed to establish fear is even involved by simply making an unsubstantiated claim.

3. We both know you're probably talking about somebody from my Ignore List. I have made no secret of my PIP, Personal Ignore Policy. (Hey. I like that. I might have to start using that in my Signature...) We all have the tools to control who we choose to associate with here. I use 'em. People who lack social graces tend to hang out in online chat rooms (maybe because they don't have many friends in real life?) Whatever, not my concern. I only want to talk to interesting people who focus on the subject. Flame wars are useless, boring time wasters. Not interested! So I use an aggressive Ignore List. And I add the twist just to make sure it is understood I don't play games: My Ignore List is permanent. So if this person is on my Ignore List, that's it. There is no question. Every entry was done with the knowledge that it would be permanent. No exceptions. That's the reason I won't discuss this or anything with such an individual. Ever. Read the PIP.

I understand there are lots of people here who are all desensitized to the personal attacks. They think nothing of it. Trade 'em back and forth all day long. Really vile stuff. Such nasty stuff, there has to be a rule 12b, and even that gets broken. Hey. If that's what people are into, this is the place. It's allowed. (well, almost everything) But all that is not required. I didn't come here to play mind games. I'm PoliTalker, and I came to talk about Just Plain Politics. (Imagine such a thing at a web site called that!) For those who want to partake in food fights, a good handle might be 'Nuisance_Flamer.' Or perhaps, 'Not_Happy_In_Life_Envious_Of_Those_Who_Are.'

I don't recall signing up at a chat room called 'Food-Fight-A-Rama.'

I came to talk about . just . plain . politics .

PIP violation ain't that.
    I just assume you banned him because you can't win a climate debate against him.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Minister of Truth For This Post:

leaningright (11-18-2018)

24. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hello Darth,

Correct.

I don't think a credible threat to our only habitat is anything to take lightly. Capitalism is actually beginning to support solutions in some ways, but we can't rely on that or wait for it. Capitalism is as capitalism does. It just chases profitability. There is no goal within capitalism which supports the longevity of human life. The goal is profits for capitalists. Period. If it makes money to destroy ourselves, somebody is willing to do that for the money.
    Can't wait for what, exactly? What would you do tomorrow that satisfactorily blunts the dangers of climate change, as opposed to waiting for the necessary technologies and developments?

25. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,108 Times in 3,183 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 137 Times in 133 Posts
    Blog Entries

Can't wait for what, exactly? What would you do tomorrow that satisfactorily blunts the dangers of climate change, as opposed to waiting for the necessary technologies and developments?
    I think I know what you mean. When I was a lad, the story was that Americans were causing an ice age by using products like hair sprays and underarm deodorants.

What can you or Politker or I do about "climate change?" Of course, we can preach about it, and do a few small things. I drive a hybrid. I recycle. I have reduced my consumption of consumer goods, especially those that have shipped from the other side of the globe. I realize that most of the consumer electronics purchased soon end up in a closet or drawer or a landfill.

But, overall, I do not affect the situation. I look at it like this; in spite of the meme, some climatologists refute the "human-made climate change" theories. If we found two, equally qualified scientists with opposing views, I wouldn't know which of them was correct.

I urge anyone reading this to use a favored search engine to see that NASA is claiming that a significant "Solar Minimum" is upon us.