Members banned from this thread: Hermes Thoth, SmarterthanYou, USFREEDOM911, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Granule, canceled.2021.1, Boris The Animal, canceled.2021.2, MAGA MAN, iewitness, Irish, CFM, Ralph, Lightbringer, Sailor, Life is Golden, Bigdog, TTQ64, Getin the ring, zymurgy, Superfreak, PraiseKek, Eagle_Eye, katzgar, countryboy, Tommatthews, volsrock, The Ugly Truth, BodyDouble, coolzone, rhym3pays, LV426, Into the Night, Enlightened One and Anarchon

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stronger Hurricanes. More Intense Wildfires. Predicted By Science Now Climate Reality

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Controlled Opposition View Post
    I think I know what you mean. When I was a lad, the story was that Americans were causing an ice age by using products like hair sprays and underarm deodorants.

What can you or Politker or I do about "climate change?" Of course, we can preach about it, and do a few small things. I drive a hybrid. I recycle. I have reduced my consumption of consumer goods, especially those that have shipped from the other side of the globe. I realize that most of the consumer electronics purchased soon end up in a closet or drawer or a landfill.

But, overall, I do not affect the situation. I look at it like this; in spite of the meme, some climatologists refute the "human-made climate change" theories. If we found two, equally qualified scientists with opposing views, I wouldn't know which of them was correct.

I urge anyone reading this to use a favored search engine to see that NASA is claiming that a significant "Solar Minimum" is upon us.
    Well, I still use deodorant, and no sign of an ice age. Anyway, I am not a fan of waste or pollution, and believe in reducing both from the community level (litter, etc) on up.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Minister of Truth For This Post:

leaningright (11-20-2018), PoliTalker (11-19-2018)

3. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,173 Times in 10,391 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,876 Times in 4,194 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Threedee,

I suspect you already know.

OK, in the first place, I have no idea who you are even talking about. I've read every comment in this thread. No 'Tom' here.

2. You have failed to establish fear is even involved by simply making an unsubstantiated claim.

3. We both know you're probably talking about somebody from my Ignore List. I have made no secret of my PIP, Personal Ignore Policy. (Hey. I like that. I might have to start using that in my Signature...) We all have the tools to control who we choose to associate with here. I use 'em. People who lack social graces tend to hang out in online chat rooms (maybe because they don't have many friends in real life?) Whatever, not my concern. I only want to talk to interesting people who focus on the subject. Flame wars are useless, boring time wasters. Not interested! So I use an aggressive Ignore List. And I add the twist just to make sure it is understood I don't play games: My Ignore List is permanent. So if this person is on my Ignore List, that's it. There is no question. Every entry was done with the knowledge that it would be permanent. No exceptions. That's the reason I won't discuss this or anything with such an individual. Ever. Read the PIP.

I understand there are lots of people here who are all desensitized to the personal attacks. They think nothing of it. Trade 'em back and forth all day long. Really vile stuff. Such nasty stuff, there has to be a rule 12b, and even that gets broken. Hey. If that's what people are into, this is the place. It's allowed. (well, almost everything) But all that is not required. I didn't come here to play mind games. I'm PoliTalker, and I came to talk about Just Plain Politics. (Imagine such a thing at a web site called that!) For those who want to partake in food fights, a good handle might be 'Nuisance_Flamer.' Or perhaps, 'Not_Happy_In_Life_Envious_Of_Those_Who_Are.'

I don't recall signing up at a chat room called 'Food-Fight-A-Rama.'

I came to talk about . just . plain . politics .

PIP violation ain't that.
    Tom is Havana Moon. He's a scientifically dishonest, cherry-picking troll when it comes to climate change. I called him on some cherry-picked data long ago and he still has a stick up his heiny about it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to domer76 For This Post:

Fentoine Lum (11-20-2018)

5. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Threedee,

Quote Originally Posted by Threedee View Post
    I just assume you banned him because you can't win a climate debate against him.
    Incorrect assumption. I ban people who make conversations unpleasant. I don't know if you've noticed, but people don't mouth off at me. If they do, they only do it once, and then they are banned from future threads. And if they suddenly decide later that they want to have a civil debate with me they find out it is too late for that; and they simply serve as fair warning to others who might be tempted to mouth off at me. I mean what I say.

But thanks for giving me a chance to get on my civil discourse soapbox again. That's a never-ending need.

Also, it doesn't really matter who wins a climate debate here. I've debated that against some really smart people who make a very good case for no connection between industrial activity and global warming. People who will absolutely BURY you with links and even entire books you're supposed to read. And you know what? I am not a scientist. I am not going to win a science debate against one. What I am is wise. I am wise enough to know that when so many different sources of the major media and governments all over the world say this is happening then I listen. When I take vacations and I see the corral reefs dying in front of my eyes it makes me sad. And hurricanes turning into cat 5 overnight, wiping a city clean off the map and killing people makes me sad. And wildfires so intense people can't even get away before being burned alive? That makes me sad too.

Wisdom always says: prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

Hoping for the best is not a good plan of action in case you happen to be wrong.

Go with the wise approach, then you've got it covered, no matter who is right.

Sometimes a little wisdom overrides reams of scientific debate.

This is one of those times.

Intense fires and stronger hurricanes are some of the same exact things they said was going to happen when the effects of global warming begin.

And it's only going to get worse in coming years.

We've got to do everything we can. So I am listening to the experts. I don't want to be the generation that knew, and could have done something, but blew it off because they thought it would cost too much money. Especially when a lot of the solutions actually make money and provide jobs. I heard there's already more green jobs than coal jobs right now. Very cool. And I don't mind reducing my footprint. Saves me money to reduce, reuse and recycle.

What we ought to do is take all those coal miners and send them to solar panel installation school.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

6. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Threedee,

Can't wait for what, exactly? What would you do tomorrow that satisfactorily blunts the dangers of climate change, as opposed to waiting for the necessary technologies and developments?
    Lots of things, but the first one to come to mind is: I would make an exception to the nuclear regulations which prevent the building of a traveling wave reactor in the USA. Bill Gates is a visionary, but his newest vision is so far advanced our regulations held him back; so he had to go to communist China where change can happen faster. That's where the first one is being built. This is a reactor that a) can't melt down, and b) uses the spent fuel from all previous reactors as fuel. Just think about those two ideas for a while.

That's like having your freaking cake and eating it too, as far as affordable clean energy goes.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

7. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello domer76,

Quote Originally Posted by domer76 View Post
    Tom is Havana Moon. He's a scientifically dishonest, cherry-picking troll when it comes to climate change. I called him on some cherry-picked data long ago and he still has a stick up his heiny about it.
    Too funny. I forgot he even exists. He was one of the very first ones to mouth off to me when I showed up here. Imagine that. A brand new poster shows up, looking for some good political discussions, and one of the regulars says something rude to the noob. Is it any wonder that most entries on the member list have just a handful of posts? How else can that be explained besides people showed up looking for political debate, found out how nasty the board is, and left.

I think the board would be better if he quit, and all those people who got run off stayed and contributed to the discussions.

The banned/Ignored should know that not only are they banned from my threads and on my Ignore List, I don't bother to read a word they write. So even if somebody else quotes them, as soon as I see who is being quoted, I just move on to the next comment. Sometimes I can scroll through a long flame war real quick. If there is nothing of substance to a thread I just move on until I find interesting discussion. There's so much activity here I don't have to worry about having all the political discussions I have time for. There's way MORE than I could ever keep up with. So I don't have to worry about having enough people to talk to. I have to be cold about it. I have no qualms about putting anybody on Permanent Ignore. When somebody deserves it, that's where they go. I don't do it lightly. I do it when it is appropriate, and that has to be up to me. Just as it should be for everyone who wants to have a refined posting experience here. Use the tools and it gets a lot better. You don't have to wallow in the gutter day in and day out.

Each of us has the power to decide how we want to come across here. If we choose to be respectful then most will be happy to respond in kind. If we choose to be offensive, then that is not usually well received. We can't help the people who have issues. But we can choose to keep our distance from them. They can make all the copy cat threads they want, say whatever they want about somebody behind their back, even try to make a whole thread just about it. Doesn't matter. I don't care. And I decide what I read. As far as I am concerned, they might as well be talking to a brick wall. I am not going to read a single word of it, and that is my choice. If they want to waste their time that is their choice.

There is a perfectly good life to be had without internet trolls.

Aggressive use of the Ignore feature is like having a can of Troll-B-Gone spray.

And it really works.

8. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Controlled Opposition,

Quote Originally Posted by Controlled Opposition View Post
    I think I know what you mean. When I was a lad, the story was that Americans were causing an ice age by using products like hair sprays and underarm deodorants.

What can you or Politker or I do about "climate change?" Of course, we can preach about it, and do a few small things. I drive a hybrid. I recycle. I have reduced my consumption of consumer goods, especially those that have shipped from the other side of the globe. I realize that most of the consumer electronics purchased soon end up in a closet or drawer or a landfill.

But, overall, I do not affect the situation. I look at it like this; in spite of the meme, some climatologists refute the "human-made climate change" theories. If we found two, equally qualified scientists with opposing views, I wouldn't know which of them was correct.

I urge anyone reading this to use a favored search engine to see that NASA is claiming that a significant "Solar Minimum" is upon us.
    Yeah, wait till that is over.

Doesn't matter who is right. The safe move is the wise move. There is no proving there is no threat. We gotta play it safe with our only planet. Even if there is only a chance we caused this. Because we don't want to risk getting it wrong.

9. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hello Threedee,

Lots of things, but the first one to come to mind is: I would make an exception to the nuclear regulations which prevent the building of a traveling wave reactor in the USA. Bill Gates is a visionary, but his newest vision is so far advanced our regulations held him back; so he had to go to communist China where change can happen faster. That's where the first one is being built. This is a reactor that a) can't melt down, and b) uses the spent fuel from all previous reactors as fuel. Just think about those two ideas for a while.

That's like having your freaking cake and eating it too, as far as affordable clean energy goes.
    I agree about nuclear energy. Americans have unfortunately been nervous about it since 3 Mile Island.

10. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,108 Times in 3,183 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 137 Times in 133 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Controlled Opposition,

Yeah, wait till that is over.

Doesn't matter who is right. The safe move is the wise move. There is no proving there is no threat. We gotta play it safe with our only planet. Even if there is only a chance we caused this. Because we don't want to risk getting it wrong.
    I agree that a cleaner planet is worth our efforts. I never said that we should wait to accomplish that. I did suggest that there is only so much I can do.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Controlled Opposition For This Post:

PoliTalker (11-20-2018)

12. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Threedee,

I agree about nuclear energy. Americans have unfortunately been nervous about it since 3 Mile Island.
    And the right still fights spending more on public education.

This is clearly a case where having a smarter nation would benefit everyone.

13. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,734 Times in 3,515 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 291 Times in 282 Posts
    Blog Entries

Prosecutors: Neo-Nazis planned to attack synagogues, power plants
    http://www.fox13news.com/news/local-...s-power-plants

14. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

15. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hello Threedee,

And the right still fights spending more on public education.

This is clearly a case where having a smarter nation would benefit everyone.
    I wasn't going to specify ideology, but, it has been the left that is resistant to nuclear power. This issue, in fact, is one of the major divisions between the American Left and the European Left.

16. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello 3D,

I wasn't going to specify ideology, but, it has been the left that is resistant to nuclear power. This issue, in fact, is one of the major divisions between the American Left and the European Left.
    You understand I am only pro-nuclear on this one type of reactor design. It's genius. It makes sense to me. I go with what is logical, (which is why I constantly find myself on the left,) but this time it points to this. I have no problem advocating for what makes sense. I did not know the European left is pro nuclear. That is interesting. I think if Bill Gates gets this thing up and running and it delvers as promised, we need to start building them here. We've got lots of spent fuel to use. It just makes too much sense.

17. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hello 3D,

You understand I am only pro-nuclear on this one type of reactor design. It's genius. It makes sense to me. I go with what is logical, (which is why I constantly find myself on the left,) but this time it points to this. I have no problem advocating for what makes sense. I did not know the European left is pro nuclear. That is interesting. I think if Bill Gates gets this thing up and running and it delvers as promised, we need to start building them here. We've got lots of spent fuel to use. It just makes too much sense.
    You see, eventually a technical achievement was made in nuclear energy. Why should we be surprised that it could happen in other fields? I remember when substitute natural gas was a new concept.

18. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello 3D.

You see, eventually a technical achievement was made in nuclear energy. Why should we be surprised that it could happen in other fields? I remember when substitute natural gas was a new concept.
    Just tap the unending supply of natural gas coming from the white house and we could pay off the debt.