1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,874 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 202 Times in 195 Posts

Default Astonishing Stat

I recently ran across the following data:

https://www.sentencingproject.org/th...set-option=SIR

What is mind-blowing is what a high percentage of black people have been legally disenfranchised in many states. In a few states, it's none (e.g., Maine and Vermont), or next to none (0.83% in Massachusetts). But, throughout the South and in many other parts, disenfranchisement of blacks is sky-high. Over a quarter of blacks in Kentucky have been disenfranchised. Tennessee, Virginia, and Florida aren't far behind, with over a fifth of blacks disenfranchised.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oneuli For This Post:

evince (11-16-2018), PoliTalker (11-15-2018)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Probably a racial issue stemming from the fact black people were brought here as slaves from Africa. (Did you know sub-saharan blacks lack any Neanderthal DNA?)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jack For This Post:

PoliTalker (11-15-2018)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,814 Times in 27,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oneuli View Post

What is mind-blowing is what a high percentage of black people have been legally disenfranchised in many states. In a few states, it's none (e.g., Maine and Vermont), or next to none (0.83% in Massachusetts). But, throughout the South and in many other parts, disenfranchisement of blacks is sky-high. Over a quarter of blacks in Kentucky have been disenfranchised. Tennessee, Virginia, and Florida aren't far behind, with over a fifth of blacks disenfranchised.
    Broadly speaking, Republicans do not want black people voting. And that was true even of the conservative Dixiecrats of a century ago when they controlled the South.

Don't take my word for it: there are about three billion posts on this forum with Republicans complaining that blacks only vote "to get free stuff".

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Althea (11-15-2018), christiefan915 (11-15-2018), Oneuli (11-15-2018), PoliTalker (11-15-2018)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,334 Times in 9,321 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,825 Times in 2,563 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Probably a racial issue stemming from the fact black people were brought here as slaves from Africa. (Did you know sub-saharan blacks lack any Neanderthal DNA?)
    that's a cool fact........explains why the don't have those big foreheads and jaws and far less body hair

8. The Following User Says Thank You to reagansghost For This Post:

Jack (11-15-2018)

9. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,874 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 202 Times in 195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Probably a racial issue stemming from the fact black people were brought here as slaves from Africa.
    The vast majority of blacks in this country come predominantly from the same West African racial stock. Yet the variation here between the high-disenfranchisement states (over 25% of black disenfranchised) and the low-disenfranchisement states (no disenfranchised blacks) is enormous. So, that's not an artifact of genetic factors. Instead, it's a product of political choices.

I suppose one could argue those political choices, themselves, are the product of genetic factors, though. For example, possibly the majority of whites who settled in the South were of genetically inferior stock, making them more prone to racism than the superior specimens in places like New England, and that this gave rise to so much disenfranchisement in the inferior areas (as well as, earlier, giving rise to a more persistent embrace of Jim Crow, slavery, etc.) But such genetic explanations aren't really appealing to me. I expect the genetic stock of the whites in those different areas isn't different enough to make any meaningful difference, and instead there are socioeconomic/cultural factors at work.

(Did you know sub-saharan blacks lack any Neanderthal DNA?)
    Yes -- at least for those who haven't had mixing with populations from other areas.

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

The vast majority of blacks in this country come predominantly from the same West African racial stock. Yet the variation here between the high-disenfranchisement states (over 25% of black disenfranchised) and the low-disenfranchisement states (no disenfranchised blacks) is enormous. So, that's not an artifact of genetic factors. Instead, it's a product of political choices.

I suppose one could argue those political choices, themselves, are the product of genetic factors, though. For example, possibly the majority of whites who settled in the South were of genetically inferior stock, making them more prone to racism than the superior specimens in places like New England, and that this gave rise to so much disenfranchisement in the inferior areas (as well as, earlier, giving rise to a more persistent embrace of Jim Crow, slavery, etc.) But such genetic explanations aren't really appealing to me. I expect the genetic stock of the whites in those different areas isn't different enough to make any meaningful difference, and instead there are socioeconomic/cultural factors at work.

Yes -- at least for those who haven't had mixing with populations from other areas.
    Oneuli: "Instead, it's a product of political choices."
    Jack: I agree. It's a mindset held by a silent majority.

Oneuli: "... instead there are socioeconomic/cultural factors at work."
    Jack: I agree completely. Many whites inherit property from their parents, while most black parents are propertyless and have nothing to leave to their children.

Oneuli: "Yes -- at least for those who haven't had mixing with populations from other areas."
    Jack: Probably the solution to many problems here in the USA.

11. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,433 Times in 2,367 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 888 Times in 802 Posts
    Blog Entries

Whites who are racist like CFM and Sad Pimp and others here are genetically inferior, yes.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jimmymccready For This Post:

Minister of Truth (11-15-2018), reagansghost (11-16-2018)

13. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,835 Times in 8,249 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,899 Times in 5,299 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by reagansghost View Post
    that's a cool fact........explains why the don't have those big foreheads and jaws and far less body hair
    All simians have the same amount of body hair...it is just much finer on some than others.
    It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.

14. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,219 Times in 3,171 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 239 Times in 227 Posts

LMAO... gee I wonder why Maine is so low? and Vermont? Could it be that both only have about 1% of their population that is black? Both are very low in terms of total population?

15. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,733 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 707 Times in 647 Posts
    Blog Entries

IT'S WHY BLACKS NEVER VOTE FOR THOSE ON THE RACIST RIGHT...….we KNOW they lie, cheat and steal for decades.

Time for white American to get on board.

THEY ARE FRAUDS TO THE HIGHEST ORDER.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to TTQ64 For This Post:

Oneuli (11-15-2018)

17. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,733 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 707 Times in 647 Posts
    Blog Entries

They then use their right wing media to spew the lie that Blacks don't vote.

They even have some whites believing Hilary lost because Blacks didn't vote.

THEY ARE LIARS AND MINIPULATORS. …… stay clear of them. They will pick your pocket while shaking your hand.

DONT' BELIEVE ANYTHING THAT COME FROM THE RACIST RIGHT.

STOP TREATING THEM AS EQUALS...… STOP COMPROMISING WITH HATE......STOP TAKING THEIR ARGUMENTS AS IF THE ARE LEGIT. THEY SPEAK NONSENSE.

THESE PEOPLE NEED TO BE STOPPED.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to TTQ64 For This Post:

Oneuli (11-15-2018)

19. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,248 Times in 2,338 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 162 Times in 151 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Broadly speaking, Republicans do not want black people voting. And that was true even of the conservative Dixiecrats of a century ago when they controlled the South.

Don't take my word for it: there are about three billion posts on this forum with Republicans complaining that blacks only vote "to get free stuff".
    This is total BS. The GOP wants the rules for voting to be followed by everyone. Democrats seem to think blacks are incapable of following the rules and therefore should not be subject to them. And we don’t think blacks vote to get “free stuff”, we think ALL democrats do
    “The Communist party must control the guns.”
    ― Mao Tse-tung

“Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything.”-Generally attributed to Uncle Joe Stalin

“Everything under heaven is in utter choas; the situation is excellent.”
    ― mao tse-tung

20. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Oneuli,

No big surprise here. The South wanted slavery. Fought a war over it and lost. Got told to end slavery, so they immediately went into racism. That stemmed from myths to justify slavery - that blacks were inferior - like beasts, and it was just for superior whites to enslave them. Changing the law didn't change the beliefs. And so discrimination set in. And prejudice. Blacks were shut out of wealth-building with job discrimination, property ownership discrimination, and home mortgage discrimination. Home ownership is the largest wealth-generator for the middle class. Poor blacks were shut out of the primary wealth source for white families. Without wealth, and with poor job prospects, crime rose.

If we could go back to the basic root cause of a problem and deal with it on that level we could be more effective in solving it.

We need to change the attitudes.

Nobody is born prejudiced. We've got to find a way to break the cycle which transfers prejudice from generation to generation. Public information campaigns, free counseling, emphasis in schools on understanding the concept of equality - and why kids need to take the initiative to disbelieve their prejudiced parents, while having understanding that their parents might be wrong, and how to recognize it. I know kids want to think their parents are never wrong, but we have to work on that. Just because adults have children does not make them always right about everything, that it is OK to know your parents are wrong about something. Teach that kinda stuff in public schools, have it on TV, etc.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Oneuli (11-15-2018)

22. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello callinectes,

Quote Originally Posted by callinectes View Post
    This is total BS. The GOP wants the rules for voting to be followed by everyone. Democrats seem to think blacks are incapable of following the rules and therefore should not be subject to them. And we don’t think blacks vote to get “free stuff”, we think ALL democrats do
    What, ya think liberals don't work for a living?

Or pay taxes?

Man.

These stereotypes just keep popping up like whack-a-mole.

I would vote for higher taxes on the rich to help the USA pay down the debt and help the needy. (I am not needy - I would get none of the hand-outs. I worked for what I've got.) It's ridiculous to be breaking the country to fatten the already-rich.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

23. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 35 Times in 34 Posts

It was the fat cat southern democrats that disenfranchised blacks.
    The southern democrats believed in Jeffersonian democracy.
    Democrat senator Byrd was former KKK.

The Dixiecrats were form because they were dissatisfied with their own democrat party with their policies of desegregation.
    The Dixiecrats collapsed as a party in the late 40’s with members returning to the democrat party.

A century ago blacks were republicans. The party of Lincoln.
    It was the southern democrats that resisted black voting rights.

You made some stupid statements.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Tkaffen For This Post:

Darth Omar (11-16-2018)