Thread: We control the house.

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,824 Times in 8,868 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 896 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    Things feel better already. Trump is acting like less of a bullying asshole. Bipartisan measure on prisons and sentencing.

The more power we take back the better everything will be, until finally the Trump nightmare is totally erased.

Can you feel the goodness?

The Senate can't print Money.

So anything Trump wants to do and be starved at the dinner table.
    ONE-N-DONE, YOU GOT PLAYED; Time To Play-On
    Remember ... ELECTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES ... So STFU Bitch

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bourbon For This Post:

MagaMaggot (11-15-2018)

3. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,245 Times in 2,336 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 162 Times in 151 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    1) The Trumpist agenda stopped dead in it's tracks.

No funding for stupid border walls, no more tax cuts for the rich, no repeal of pre-existing conditions health coverage, no cuts to Medicare, no privatization of social security, no authorization to invade Venezuela, no repeal of Obamacare, etc, etc.

2) Actual congressional oversight of the most corrupt administration in modern history.

3) A restoration of representative democracy and the will of the people to the U.S. government. Republicans generally only win by gerrymandering, thwarting the will of the people, and clinging to power despite losing the popular vote. Continuing that trend - the rule of the minority - is a poison for a representative democracy, and this election helps change that trajectory.
    Why the fuck would anyone want to invade Venezuela?? Other than that, seems your plan is to do absolutely nothing but investigate Trump for 2 years. What are you going to do when he starts ruling by executive order like Obama did? Better yet, what are you going to do if those EOs are actually GOOD for the country, UNLIKE obama’s EOs?
    “The Communist party must control the guns.”
    ― Mao Tse-tung

“Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything.”-Generally attributed to Uncle Joe Stalin

“Everything under heaven is in utter choas; the situation is excellent.”
    ― mao tse-tung

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Callinectes For This Post:

MagaMaggot (11-15-2018)

5. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Micawber,

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    Things feel better already. Trump is acting like less of a bullying asshole. Bipartisan measure on prisons and sentencing.

The more power we take back the better everything will be, until finally the Trump nightmare is totally erased.

Can you feel the goodness?
    It is better. The bipartisanship is VERY encouraging. Imagine. Our government functioning as designed.

The door has been opened to diversity in government. I like the result. We need more of that.

Diversity Makes America Great
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

MagaMaggot (11-15-2018)

7. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Oneuli,

Quote Originally Posted by Oneuli View Post
    For starters, there will be more flexibility when it comes to so-called mandatory sentences. In a nation like ours, with incarceration rates rivaling those of brutal autocracies, that's no small thing.
    And so costly. Runs the debt up. Not just the cost of incarceration, but the loss of revenue from having people working instead. And the impact on families.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

MagaMaggot (11-15-2018), Oneuli (11-15-2018)

9. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello callinectes,

Quote Originally Posted by callinectes View Post
    That’s fully what I expect, which is why you will lose the house again in 2020. The budget originates in the house, but you knew that, right? Now, you CAN keep going with CRs, but that’s gonna get old, especially with the government shutdowns. Or are you too stupid to realize that?
    Dems won this time and have a strong chance to do so again in 2020, especially if a strong liberal comes forward to lead the charge with long coat tails.

Republicans would have to make drastic changes to their platform to pull in any more votes. It's too exclusionary. You can only ride hatred so far. And the middle class is not seeing huge wage gains. What they do get merely keeps up with inflation. All while the rich get richer and the nation goes deeper in debt? There is a strong sentiment to tax the rich more.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

MagaMaggot (11-15-2018)

11. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,874 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 202 Times in 195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Oneuli,

And so costly. Runs the debt up. Not just the cost of incarceration, but the loss of revenue from having people working instead. And the impact on families.
    Yes. And we have good cause to know that a lower-incarceration system can work just fine even in the US. For example, in one of the states where I went to college, Massachusetts, there is an incarceration rate of 280 per 100k. That's shamefully high by advanced-nation standards (countries usually come in around 100), but it's amazing compared to most red-state hell holes (which are typically between 600 and 1000 per 100k). If draconian thinking about preventing crime were right, we'd expect Massachusetts to look like a post-apocalyptic wasteland, with such a relatively lenient system. Instead, it's got some of the lowest crime rates in the nation. Despite being the fourth-most urban state in the nation, Massachusetts has the fifth-lowest murder rate.

New York, where I live, is similar, though not quite as drastic -- it has the eighth-lowest incarceration rate, the twelfth-most urbanization, and the seventh-lowest murder rate. That's not an ideal crime situation, but it's certainly far better than the national average, without having locked up a huge portion of the population. You don't need draconian incarceration policy to keep people safe.
    Last edited by Oneuli; 11-15-2018 at 11:52 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Oneuli For This Post:

MagaMaggot (11-15-2018)

13. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,973 Times in 32,288 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iolo View Post
    He'll go round insulting his colonials instead of Americans. It is not causing friendly feeling amongst us European serfs.
    at least you realize you are serfs

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

MagaMaggot (11-15-2018)

15. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Yes. And we have good cause to know that a lower-incarceration system can work just fine even in the US. For example, in one of the states where I went to college, Massachusetts, there is an incarceration rate of 280 per 100k. That's shamefully high by advanced-nation standards (countries usually come in around 100), but it's amazing compared to most red-state hell holes (which are typically between 600 and 1000 per 100k). If draconian thinking about preventing crime were right, we'd expect Massachusetts to look like a post-apocalyptic wasteland, with such a relatively lenient system. Instead, it's got some of the lowest crime rates in the nation. Despite being the fourth-most urban state in the nation, Massachusetts has the fifth-lowest murder rate.

New York, where I live, is similar, though not quite as drastic -- it has the eighth-lowest incarceration rate, the twelfth-most urbanization, and the seventh-lowest murder rate. That's not an ideal crime situation, but it's certainly far better than the national average, without having locked up a huge portion of the population. You don't need draconian incarceration policy to keep people safe.
    Three states in the country are above 600 and only one is above 700

16. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

MagaMaggot (11-15-2018)

17. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Three states in the country are above 600 and only one is above 700
    I'm basing it on this:

https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/cpus16.pdf

That says 25 are above 600 and 13 are above 700. What's your source? I'm wondering whether the stat you're using only includes state incarcerations, as opposed to also including federal incarcerations within a state. Also, there could be different tabulation depending on whether you count all incarcerated people or only those serving prison sentences. A fairly significant portion of the incarcerated population is in jail awaiting trial, so you'll get a lower number if you count only those serving time in state prison than if you also count the average number locked up in a jail within the state at a given moment. Nationally, it looks like 740,700 in local jails, 1,228,800 in state prisons, and 188,300 in federal prisons.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Oneuli For This Post:

MagaMaggot (11-15-2018)

19. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

I'm basing it on this:

https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/cpus16.pdf

That says 25 are above 600 and 13 are above 700. What's your source? I'm wondering whether the stat you're using only includes state incarcerations, as opposed to also including federal incarcerations within a state. Also, there could be different tabulation depending on whether you count all incarcerated people or only those serving prison sentences. A fairly significant portion of the incarcerated population is in jail awaiting trial, so you'll get a lower number if you count only those serving time in state prison than if you also count the average number locked up in a jail within the state at a given moment. Nationally, it looks like 740,700 in local jails, 1,228,800 in state prisons, and 188,300 in federal prisons.
    https://patch.com/california/gilroy/...n-state-stacks

20. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

MagaMaggot (11-15-2018)

21. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,341 Times in 5,714 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 374 Times in 355 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    1) The Trumpist agenda stopped dead in it's tracks.

No funding for stupid border walls, no more tax cuts for the rich, no repeal of pre-existing conditions health coverage, no cuts to Medicare, no privatization of social security, .

where do you get your info?.. oh yea stupid question
    Turn CNN off, they're making you look stupid (er)
    This just In::: Trump indicted for living in liberals heads and not paying RENT

C̶N̶N̶ SNN.... Shithole News Network

Trump Is Coming back to a White House Near you

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Getin the ring For This Post:

MagaMaggot (11-15-2018)

23. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

As expected:

"The Justice Department's statistics presented here, for example, do not count people kept in jails without being sentenced."

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Oneuli For This Post:

MagaMaggot (11-15-2018)

25. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 35 Times in 34 Posts

Don’t go out alone at night.
    67.8% of prisoners were rearrested within three years of release
    76.6% of prisoners were rearrested within five years of release.

I know in your little world you don’t want to believe this but there are evil people that need to be locked up.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tkaffen For This Post:

Callinectes (11-15-2018), MagaMaggot (11-15-2018)

27. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,324 Times in 2,774 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 215 Times in 209 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iolo View Post
    He'll go round insulting his colonials instead of Americans. It is not causing friendly feeling amongst us European serfs.
    He is reported to have given Mrs May a mouthful on the way back from his triumphant visit to France. She had phoned to congratulate him on the midterms. Maybe he thought she was being sarcastic.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Tranquillus in Exile For This Post:

MagaMaggot (11-15-2018)

29. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hard to understand why Republicans won't listen to science, which says we can have low crime and low incarceration rates. Of course some people must be locked up. Science helps us determine what the optimal percentage is. That is very low. Why do Republicans want more government spending to lock up people who could otherwise be contributing to the economy? That makes no sense. Often, locking up non-violent offenders also removes a parent from a household. What caliber of kids are expected from single parent households and from foster care?

Taxpayers have to pay to keep people locked up. We are already not collecting enough taxes to keep up with government spending. Having more sensible prison policy can help reduce the government debt and the size of the coming tax hikes which will be needed when the deficit and debt skyrocket due to too much tax cutting and locking up too many people for too long.

We also need to reform our discriminatory justice system which locks up more black people than white, for longer periods of time, for equal infractions.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

MagaMaggot (11-15-2018)