Members banned from this thread: Blackwater Lunchbreak, SmarterthanYou, USFREEDOM911, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Granule, canceled.2021.1, Boris The Animal, canceled.2021.2, MAGA MAN, iewitness, Irish, CFM, Ralph, Lightbringer, Sailor, Life is Golden, Bigdog, TTQ64, Getin the ring, zymurgy, Superfreak, PraiseKek, Eagle_Eye, katzgar, countryboy, Tommatthews, volsrock, The Ugly Truth, BodyDouble, coolzone, rhym3pays, LV426, Into the Night and Enlightened One

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Disrespecting The Flag

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,456 Times in 2,386 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 941 Times in 861 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello iolo,

Well, you've got your royalty. We've got a flag.
    Well, I admittedly haven't burned any of the Royal Family, but when Charles the Last comes in view in the right circumstances, I'd be grateful for a match!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to iolo For This Post:

PoliTalker (11-15-2018)

3. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Bourbon,

Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon View Post
    OK, so you've just given a signal that you are in distress. And it's not real. It was rather obviously photo altered.

And I would not be surprised if somebody did this on their house and that house got vandalized.

It is also bothersome to see poor taste in home or business flag displays.

There are short poles mounted on eves which are supposed to stick up at an angle so the stars are the highest point but careless property owners allow them to dip so the stars hang lower. There are flags mounted on PVC pipes, and others allowed to drag across eves, roofs, branches, even the ground. Flags flown at night without illumination, tattered flags, dirty flags, and ordinary flags flown in storms.

The most common indiscretions are the cheap home style flag flapped to death on the back of a pick up truck. Those cheap low cost flags were never meant to take 45 mph winds or more encountered by a vehicle.

And don't get me started with the really cheap plastic car window flags.

All of that just cheapens our nation. It does not make America great. It makes America cheap.

Our nation is what we make it. Let's don't turn our symbol into a cereal box toy.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

4. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello moon,

Quote Originally Posted by moon View Post

Excellent design.
    Love it!

The interlinked rings representing the cooperation of nations, none standing above the others, the blue standing for the blue planet.

Fabulous.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

moon (11-15-2018)

6. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,874 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 202 Times in 195 Posts

I love my country. I was raised to love my country. And I do. I really do.

I also love the world. I am so glad we have a world. I love the USA, and I love the Earth. These are wonderful things that make my life possible.

I respect our country. I respect the USA. I also respect the symbol of our great nation, the US Flag.

I don't appreciate it when people disrespect the flag. I don't like to see people disrespecting the flag by putting it on the back of a common pick up truck. They think they are being patriotic, but it hurts me to see them trashing it like that. That's not patriotism. That's ignorance and disrespect. Especially when it is allowed to drape over and across the sides of the bed, and drag across the tailgate. That's wrong. I wish they wouldn't do it. I wish they would show proper respect for the flag. It's hurtful to see that. Flying a dirty tattered flag off the back of your pick up truck is not showing proper respect for the flag. It shows that you don't know how to show proper respect for our flag.

Standard anti-troll thread thief disclaimer:

Here's a guy who clearly doesn't get it:

Jets Fan Who 'Stands For The Flag' Is Sitting On It! His butt, YOUR FLAG. Oh, but don't let the players kneel to protest wrong police shootings of blacks. (Like the security guy shot for doing his job?)

I wish people would educate themselves before they make fools out of themselves and our flag. They are breaking the rules when they trash American flags. There are official rules which govern flying the US Flag:

George Carlin: 'Pride Goeth Before The Fall:'

Another kind of disrespect I see is when someone puts a flag up somewhere, like a highway overpass, and then just leaves it. Before long, it's moldering, dirty, and tattered, and someone with a more genuine respect for the flag needs to come along, take it down, and burn it.

I actually find such things more disrespectful than, say, burning the flag in protest, which at least gives it a clean end, and is consistent with the values it represents of free speech. When it comes to a deliberate gesture like that, even if you disagree with it, you at least have to recognize it comes from a place of passionate, engaged political activism, whereas someone who just uses a flag to advertise his own supposed patriotism, only to negligently allow it to become soiled and disgraced, is doing a much worse disservice to the ideas for which it is meant to stand.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Oneuli For This Post:

PoliTalker (11-15-2018)

8. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,426 Times in 5,873 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 6,519 Times in 6,260 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello moon,

Love it!

The interlinked rings representing the cooperation of nations, none standing above the others, the blue standing for the blue planet.

Fabulous.
    Yeah. Seven continents, seven seas and one flower. Genius.

I'd like to tattoo it on maggot's head.
    " First they came for the journalists...
    We don't know what happened after that . "

Maria Ressa.

9. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,121 Times in 2,441 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 265 Times in 242 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Evmetro,

Once I saw a guy with flags all over his boat. They were all stuck into the rod holders. He had the American Flag, the Gadsden flag, and a Trump flag. He may have had a Marine flag, too, I can't recall now. Here is the one thing I do remember quite clearly: He had the Trump flag higher than all the rest, including the American Flag. Had the boat pulled up by a public waterfront event. It was very bothersome. I wanted to walk over and say something but I didn't want it to devolve into a public scene or turn violent, so I just walked away. I'll never forget that, though. That told me something about Trump supporters.
    Yea, that sounds like a mess. My opinion on this would depend though, on if this guy was ignorant or if he knew how to properly respect the flag. If he was ignorant, it looks like he flew the flag proudly and that his heart was in the right place, but if he was prior military or otherwise knowledgeable of how to treat the flag, then shame on him.

I've seen similar displays on pick up trucks. Some of them have the lift kit.

Breaks my heart to see the American flag disrespected like that.
    It is hard to know the intentions and knowledge of these guys. I would not hold anything against a dog if he chewed up a flag, but this is because I know that dogs don't understand the implications. I love to see people fighting having their political voices silenced, but I would much rather see it done with class.
    The Truth Does Not Need To Be Supported With Censorship.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Evmetro For This Post:

PoliTalker (11-15-2018)

11. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Fortunately, respect for the flag is not a partisan issue.

Although, I do find myself flying it less frequently now that Trump is president. And lots of the people I do see flying it are Trump supporters.

I would fly an anti-Trump flag, but I don't want vandalism.

When I was campaigning for Obama I had yard signs stolen. I learned to take them in at night. People who would do such a thing are less likely to show their political spirit in the light of day.

12. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,824 Times in 8,868 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 896 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Bourbon,

OK, so you've just given a signal that you are in distress. And it's not real. It was rather obviously photo altered.

And I would not be surprised if somebody did this on their house and that house got vandalized.

There are short poles mounted on eves which are supposed to stick up at an angle so the stars are the highest point but careless property owners allow them to dip so the stars hang lower. There are flags mounted on PVC pipes, and others allowed to drag across eves, roofs, branches, even the ground. Flags flown at night without illumination, tattered flags, dirty flags, and ordinary flags flown in storms.

The most common indiscretions are the cheap home style flag flapped to death on the back of a pick up truck. Those cheap low cost flags were never meant to take 45 mph winds or more encountered by a vehicle.

All of that just cheapens our nation. It does not make America great. It makes America cheap.

Our nation is what we make it. Let's don't turn our symbol into a cereal box toy.

No ... actually you look at a picture and made an assumption that it's meaning pertains to me and me alone.

I was indicating a feeling ... not necessarily a reality.

Every week I see this country forgiving more and more and excepting more and more as the new norm.

This week, we all witness a United States President, "choose" to not honer Veterans Day, and all I witnessed was one side outraged and the other side looking for any excuse to protect that "choice" the President made. If that doesn't signal a country that is in distress, then I don't know what more this President can do to convince both side he doesn't care about this country.

I'm I personally distressed? No
    I'm I personally embarrassed? Almost every week.

... and I agree, I have no idea what these idiots who drive around in pickup trucks with over-sized tattered flags blowing behind them.

I have a a neighbor who ties a Flag to his fence and leaves it there all Summer. It's soo faded that you can hardly see the colors anymore. I just shake my head and wonder, why does bother if he's not going to take the time to take care of the flag.
    ONE-N-DONE, YOU GOT PLAYED; Time To Play-On
    Remember ... ELECTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES ... So STFU Bitch

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bourbon For This Post:

Fentoine Lum (11-15-2018), PoliTalker (11-15-2018)

14. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,734 Times in 3,515 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 291 Times in 282 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Bourbon,

Ain't that america. Still falling short of the lofty rhetoric.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Fentoine Lum For This Post:

PoliTalker (11-15-2018)

16. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,734 Times in 3,515 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 291 Times in 282 Posts
    Blog Entries

Fortunately, respect for the flag is not a partisan issue.

Although, I do find myself flying it less frequently now that Trump is president. And lots of the people I do see flying it are Trump supporters.

I would fly an anti-Trump flag, but I don't want vandalism.

When I was campaigning for Obama I had yard signs stolen. I learned to take them in at night. People who would do such a thing are less likely to show their political spirit in the light of day.
    Maybe that's in part how we got here, standing down for fear of standing up.

17. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Fentoine Lum,

Quote Originally Posted by Fentoine Lum View Post
    Maybe that's in part how we got here, standing down for fear of standing up.
    Apathy never sleeps.