Members banned from this thread: Blackwater Lunchbreak, SmarterthanYou, USFREEDOM911, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Granule, canceled.2021.1, Boris The Animal, canceled.2021.2, MAGA MAN, iewitness, Irish, CFM, Ralph, Lightbringer, Sailor, Life is Golden, Bigdog, TTQ64, Getin the ring, zymurgy, Superfreak, PraiseKek, Eagle_Eye, katzgar, countryboy, Tommatthews, volsrock, The Ugly Truth, BodyDouble, coolzone, rhym3pays, LV426, Into the Night and Enlightened One

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Disrespecting The Flag

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Disrespecting The Flag

I love my country. I was raised to love my country. And I do. I really do.

I also love the world. I am so glad we have a world. I love the USA, and I love the Earth. These are wonderful things that make my life possible.

I respect our country. I respect the USA. I also respect the symbol of our great nation, the US Flag.

I don't appreciate it when people disrespect the flag. I don't like to see people disrespecting the flag by putting it on the back of a common pick up truck. They think they are being patriotic, but it hurts me to see them trashing it like that. That's not patriotism. That's ignorance and disrespect. Especially when it is allowed to drape over and across the sides of the bed, and drag across the tailgate. That's wrong. I wish they wouldn't do it. I wish they would show proper respect for the flag. It's hurtful to see that. Flying a dirty tattered flag off the back of your pick up truck is not showing proper respect for the flag. It shows that you don't know how to show proper respect for our flag.

Standard anti-troll thread thief disclaimer:
    If this thread is stolen, plagiarized, will the thief have the nerve to use the entire OP, word for word? Including this disclaimer?

If you want my take on it, you'll have to post to this original thread. I refuse to be an enabler for online bullies, so I won't post to a stolen thread. I won't even read it.

Thread thievery is the tool of trolls. You know, people talk about one another. You might as well admit it is true, and realize the people who know you, talk about you when you are not present. I can accept that. Many can't. Trolls can't. They have to try to conTROLL what people say about them. (Like Trump!) They can't stand the thought of people talking about them without trying to conTROLL the conversation. That's the insecurity talking......

The people banned from this thread were banned because they refused to be polite, so I refuse to talk to them. I came to talk about Just Plain Politics.
    Here's a guy who clearly doesn't get it:

Jets Fan Who 'Stands For The Flag' Is Sitting On It! His butt, YOUR FLAG. Oh, but don't let the players kneel to protest wrong police shootings of blacks. (Like the security guy shot for doing his job?)

I wish people would educate themselves before they make fools out of themselves and our flag. They are breaking the rules when they trash American flags. There are official rules which govern flying the US Flag:

§175. Position and manner of display

(b) The flag should not be draped over the hood, top, sides, or back of a vehicle or of a railroad train or a boat. When the flag is displayed on a motorcar, the staff shall be fixed firmly to the chassis or clamped to the right fender.

(c) No other flag or pennant should be placed above or, if on the same level, ... (How many times do we see the American Flag on the same level with a Trump flag? I have even seen the Trump flag flown HIGHER!)

§176. Respect for flag

(b) The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.

(e) The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way. (Like on the back of a pick up truck!)

(i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. (Such as 47 big America flags over a sales lot full of Japanese cars?)

(k) The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.

US Flag Code
    George Carlin: 'Pride Goeth Before The Fall:'

Last edited by PoliTalker; 11-14-2018 at 08:26 PM. Reason: added missing word 'have' : 'I am so glad we have a world.'
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

moon (11-15-2018), spoon (11-15-2018)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,634 Times in 9,300 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

Not flying the flag upside down till Trump is gone is disrespecting the flag!
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,734 Times in 3,515 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 291 Times in 282 Posts
    Blog Entries

Half way up a shaft and upside down is the only way to properly display the flag until further notice.

Light your shoes if ya don't like it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fentoine Lum For This Post:

Cancel 2019.1 (11-14-2018)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

US Flag Code §176. Respect for flag (j) ...
    The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

anatta (11-14-2018)

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,121 Times in 2,441 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 265 Times in 242 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post

I also love the world. I am so glad we a world. I love the USA, and I love the Earth. These are wonderful things that make my life possible.

I respect our country. I respect the USA. I also respect the symbol of our great nation, the US Flag.

I don't appreciate it when people disrespect the flag. I don't like to see people disrespecting the flag by putting it on the back of a common pick up truck. They think they are being patriotic, but it hurts me to see them trashing it like that. That's not patriotism. That's ignorance and disrespect. Especially when it is allowed to drape over and across the sides of the bed, and drag across the tailgate. That's wrong. I wish they wouldn't do it. I wish they would show proper respect for the flag. It's hurtful to see that. Flying a dirty tattered flag off the back of your pick up truck is not showing proper respect for the flag. It shows that you don't know how to show proper respect for our flag.

Standard anti-troll thread thief disclaimer:

Here's a guy who clearly doesn't get it:

Jets Fan Who 'Stands For The Flag' Is Sitting On It! His butt, YOUR FLAG. Oh, but don't let the players kneel to protest wrong police shootings of blacks. (Like the security guy shot for doing his job?)

I wish people would educate themselves before they make fools out of themselves and our flag. They are breaking the rules when they trash American flags. There are official rules which govern flying the US Flag:

George Carlin: 'Pride Goeth Before The Fall:'

I would take you more seriously if you also expressed how you don't like to see people take a knee in political warfare during the National Anthem.
    The Truth Does Not Need To Be Supported With Censorship.

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,879 Times in 6,106 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 594 Times in 580 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Evmetro View Post
    I would take you more seriously if you also expressed how you don't like to see people take a knee in political warfare during the National Anthem.
    Kneeling is an act of reverence and fealty.. Didn't you know that?

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Evmetro,

I don't like to see that. It is bothersome, just as the dirty tattered flag draped over a pick up bed. I would never do either thing.

I understand why the players do that. I also understand why rednecks buy cheesy cheap flags and flap them to death on the back of their truck. Each has their reasons for disrespecting the flag. One of the reasons seems more justifiable than the other, but both are wrong.

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,039 Times in 2,191 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 603 Times in 570 Posts

Donald Trump needs to quit misrepresenting the American flags that are always propped up behind him standing at his bully pulpits while he tries to discredit every other American Institution in his speeches!

Donald Trump is a false prophet and a false patriot!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Adolf_Twitler For This Post:

Cancel 2019.1 (11-14-2018)

13. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,824 Times in 8,868 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 896 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries

I don't worship Idols ... and I respect to those who respect to me.

It's that simple ...
    ONE-N-DONE, YOU GOT PLAYED; Time To Play-On
    Remember ... ELECTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES ... So STFU Bitch

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bourbon For This Post:

Anarchon (11-15-2018), moon (11-15-2018)

15. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

...but both are wrong.
    I take your opening post more seriously now. I agree, both are wrong.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Evmetro For This Post:

PoliTalker (11-14-2018)

17. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kudzu View Post
    Kneeling is an act of reverence and fealty.. Didn't you know that?
    This is not the case when circumstances are how I specified.. "...in political warfare"

18. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,879 Times in 6,106 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 594 Times in 580 Posts
    Blog Entries

This is not the case when circumstances are how I specified.. "...in political warfare"
    You can love your country and be a patriot and not fear confronting an issue like police brutality... unless you are living in Iran or Russia or Syria.

19. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,760 Times in 4,510 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 185 Times in 181 Posts

I also love the world. I am so glad we a world. I love the USA, and I love the Earth. These are wonderful things that make my life possible.

I once heard somebody say "I love my country but don't think that love has to end at the national border."

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Flash For This Post:

PoliTalker (11-14-2018)

21. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,294 Times in 8,007 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,132 Times in 1,059 Posts
    Blog Entries

Then you know little about what the flag represents.
    AMERICAN HISTORY ITSELF IS A TESTAMENT TO THE STRENGTH AND RESILIENCE OF AFRICAN PEOPLE. WE, ALONG WITH THE COURGE AND SACRIFICES OF CONSCIOUS WHITE AMERICANS, LIKE VIOLA LIUZZO, EVERETT DIRKSEN, AND MANY OTHERS, HAVE FOUGHT AND DIED TOGETHER FOR OUR FREEDOM, AND FOR OUR SURVIVAL.

In America, rights are are not determined by what is just, fair, equitable, honest, nor by what Jesus would do. Rights are determined ONLY by what you can DEMAND.

22. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blackascoal View Post
    Then you know little about what the flag represents.
    I am a Gulf War vet who served in the sand, so I have a pretty good idea what that flag represents. Nobody even makes it out of boot camp without knowing how to respect our flag.