Members banned from this thread: evince, Truth Detector, CFM, Lightbringer, TTQ64 and reagansghost

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Booker bill would create federally funded savings account for every child

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,195 Times in 13,941 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,051 Times in 2,846 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    To me it's another massive federal program they try to make sound benign at the beginning in terms of cost and what it will do but once unleashed there will be no controlling.
    Perhaps, but you can say the same for anything Government at any level initiates for the first time, and that along doesn't mean it should be immediately dismissed

And as I noted, it seems to fit in perfectly with your Brooks article in addressing the increasing income inequality gap due to the traditional work definition in a high tech economy

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Perhaps, but you can say the same for anything Government at any level initiates for the first time, and that along doesn't mean it should be immediately dismissed

And as I noted, it seems to fit in perfectly with your Brooks article in addressing the increasing income inequality gap due to the traditional work definition in a high tech economy
    I get where you're going with the David Brooks article. I posted Brook's article because I thought it was interesting and worthy of discussion. That being said it doesn't mean I agree with all ideas presented. This one I don't because of the bureaucracy that would need to be created to handle it and The accounts would be federally insured, and the funds could only be used for homeownership and “human and financial capital investments that [change] life trajectories,” according to the summary. from the article. Life trajectories will end up being like the welfare clause in the Constitution in that it can be used for anything and everything.

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,483 Times in 7,579 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 274 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anonymoose For This Post:

dukkha (11-13-2018), Sailor (11-13-2018)

5. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,967 Times in 32,282 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

fund it by taking funds from Earned Income Credit....

6. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I get where you're going with the David Brooks article. I posted Brook's article because I thought it was interesting and worthy of discussion. That being said it doesn't mean I agree with all ideas presented. This one I don't because of the bureaucracy that would need to be created to handle it and The accounts would be federally insured, and the funds could only be used for homeownership and “human and financial capital investments that [change] life trajectories,” according to the summary. from the article. Life trajectories will end up being like the welfare clause in the Constitution in that it can be used for anything and everything.
    It was an interesting article, didn't agree with some of it, and I wasn't tying you to what it said merely stating that a left leaning individual who agreed to Brook's premise would quickly offer something as this to address the situation described

But your position isn't due to the actual proposal itself but your fear that it would eventually be mismanaged, politicized, and lead to further abuses. Again, given this stance, you would just about disprove of anything any Gov't attempted that first wasn't a proven success

7. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

It was an interesting article, didn't agree with some of it, and I wasn't tying you to what it said merely stating that a left leaning individual who agreed to Brook's premise would quickly offer something as this to address the situation described

But your position isn't due to the actual proposal itself but your fear that it would eventually be mismanaged, politicized, and lead to further abuses. Again, given this stance, you would just about disprove of anything any Gov't attempted that first wasn't a proven success
    There are government programs I would and do support. When it comes from the federal government though the larger in size the more skeptical I am.

8. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
    Why? As I noted, is it any less silly thinking giving the riches individuals in the country an unpaid stimulus costing billions?

9. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Why? As I noted, is it any less silly thinking giving the riches individuals in the country an unpaid stimulus costing billions?
    I'm OK with an inheritance tax way below the $11,000,000 ceiling.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anonymoose For This Post:

dukkha (11-13-2018), Rune (11-13-2018), Sailor (11-13-2018)

11. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

There are government programs I would and do support. When it comes from the federal government though the larger in size the more skeptical I am.
    But certain problems exist that only the Government can address, the private sphere isn't going to come up with anything to deal with income inequality nor is it their responsibility

12. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 895 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 88 Times in 87 Posts

I haven't read the fine print, but if it's Booker's way of getting rid of Social Security for ever, I'M ALL IN FAVOR !!
    "It should be obvious to anyone why conservatives and libertarians should be against Trump. He has no grounding in belief. No core philosophy. No morals. No loyalty. No curiosity. No empathy and no understanding. He demands personal loyalty and not loyalty to the nation. His only core belief is in his own superiority to everyone else. His only want is exercise more and more personal power." smb / purveyor of fact 18/03/18

13. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
    I'm OK with an inheritance tax way below the $11,000,000 ceiling.
    I was referring to the Trump tax cuts which down the road everyone knows entitlement programs will be cut or eliminated to pay for, actually, I'd even bet that that was the strategdy

14. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 244 Times in 225 Posts

We're going to see more of these progressive legislative proposals as Democratic maneuvering for 2020 begins. They're going to try and out left each other.
    It is an absolutely horrible idea even if well-intentioned.

15. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I was referring to the Trump tax cuts which down the road everyone knows entitlement programs will be cut or eliminated to pay for, actually, I'd even bet that that was the strategdy
    Which entitlements are you referring to?

16. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,039 Times in 2,191 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 603 Times in 570 Posts

There are better ways to accomplish the same thing. And there is bipartisan support for it.

Everyone by now has agreed that the Republican Total Partisan Tax Bill turned out to be a sham, an over-reach, and left no permanent tax breaks for the Middle and Lower class.

In fact, many Republicans who signed the Bill are taking hits in their own states for allowing it to even pass. Many Republicans felt that the Corporate Tax rate should have been set at 25% rather than the 15% it turned out to be. And while they took away, the only tax breaks the American Home owners had such as taking away the interest on their home deduction and the State Tax deductions, while not even taking away a single loophole for the rich and famous, was also a huge mistake.

So, look for the House to be working on a new Tax Bill shortly into their term that will actually pay for itself, and actually provide tax breaks for the Middle and Lower class workers in the nation.

Then you can make incentives for families to be able to afford Children's savings accounts on their own without it becoming some social program that will never pass anyway.

17. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 895 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 88 Times in 87 Posts

"Which entitlements are you referring to?" a #28
    "... everyone's for big government. The American People say we hate big government, but we like our social security and medicare. That's 38% of government right there. The biggest components of government are the most popular components of government."
    "What's pernicious about deficits for conservatives is this. It makes big government cheap. What we're doing, we're turning to the country, the "conservative" administration turns to the country and says: We're going to give you a dollar's worth of government, we're going to charge you seventy five cents for it. And we're going to let your kids pay the other quarter." George Will Nov 30, 2003
    "It should be obvious to anyone why conservatives and libertarians should be against Trump. He has no grounding in belief. No core philosophy. No morals. No loyalty. No curiosity. No empathy and no understanding. He demands personal loyalty and not loyalty to the nation. His only core belief is in his own superiority to everyone else. His only want is exercise more and more personal power." smb / purveyor of fact 18/03/18