Thread: Car shopping

1. #76 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,477 Times in 22,782 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,245 Times in 2,985 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul View Post
    After nearly 7 years and over 175k miles its time for a change to my daily driver. Currently a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6. It still looks great, runs great, I just want something a little more nimble and sportier, but still with the high end luxury. I still can't do a sedan because I routinely haul bulky stuff. I need 4WD.

My don't want list includes:
    • No Asian vehicles. I just think they are chic cars.
    • No FWD platforms. Too difficult to service.

My wants:
    • Luxury interior comparable or better than the Jeep.
    • Quiet highway ride.
    • Power/ weight ratio at least 7HP/100#
    • Decent gas mileage.

On my list:
    • Porsche Maccan S (too much money)
    • Mini Clubman JCW (price is right, p/w lower that I'd like)
    • MB GLC 43
    • Jag F-Pace S
    • Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (too much money, gas guzzler)
    Why not the BMW X-2, X-3 or X-5 series?
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

2. #77 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    My wife has a 328xi and I don't like it. The throttle response is "notchy", and it's a difficult car to service. The leather, although high quality, is hard and uncomfortable on long trips. I don't like the quality of the interior trim.

After the initial turbo lag in the Porsche, throttle response is smooth. The hood encompasses the front sides so when open, access to nearly everything is easy. The seats are the most comfortable of any that I have driven. All the interior aluminum trim are made from solid pieces, cast (or maybe billet), machined and polished to a uniform luster.

3. #78 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Aside from the sports car handling, the thing I love the most about this car is the doppelkupplung, or double clutch, transmission. It is unlike any automatic transmission that I've ever had. In fact it has more in common with a manual transmission than a typical torque converter automatic.

The clutches are wet multi-disc like a motorcycle, and set in a coaxial configuration. The gearset is split onto two separate shafts, each driven by its own clutch, one carrying gears 1,3,5 and 7, and the other carrying 2,4,6 and reverse. As one clutch is engaged the other is either speeding up or slowing down for the next shift. A gear change is done by engaging one clutch as the other is disengaged, so there is no loss of power during acceleration and the change occurs near instantaneously.

For example, while at rest, both clutches are disengaged. Releasing the brake and pressing the throttle tells the computer to engage the "odd" clutch and away you go in 1st. Meanwhile the computer sets the "even" gearset at a lower RPM; a function of the ratio between 1st and 2nd. As the car gains speed the clutch drives are "flipped" and then 2nd gear takes over. And so on up to 7th gear.

Downshifts happen in reverse of this pattern. While in 7th the 6th gearset is set to spin faster to ready for a downshift.

Thus the feel and driveability of the transmission is nearly identical to a manual gearbox.

The trick is how the computer figures out, then implements, the driver's desire to accelerate or decelerate through the gears. It does this through accelerator and brake inputs and apparently a whole lot of magic, er, algorithms. The programs are simple for performance driving- the driver is either on the gas or on the brake. The "magic" is the programming to make this work dependably in everyday driving. This explains why Porsche started using doppelkupplung in the 1980s for race cars and is only recently using it for retail cars.

4. #79 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,626 Times in 9,294 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

I got new used tires for my Gremlin
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?

5. #80 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,602 Times in 17,045 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

Aside from the sports car handling, the thing I love the most about this car is the doppelkupplung, or double clutch, transmission. It is unlike any automatic transmission that I've ever had. In fact it has more in common with a manual transmission than a typical torque converter automatic.

The clutches are wet multi-disc like a motorcycle, and set in a coaxial configuration. The gearset is split onto two separate shafts, each driven by its own clutch, one carrying gears 1,3,5 and 7, and the other carrying 2,4,6 and reverse. As one clutch is engaged the other is either speeding up or slowing down for the next shift. A gear change is done by engaging one clutch as the other is disengaged, so there is no loss of power during acceleration and the change occurs near instantaneously.

For example, while at rest, both clutches are disengaged. Releasing the brake and pressing the throttle tells the computer to engage the "odd" clutch and away you go in 1st. Meanwhile the computer sets the "even" gearset at a lower RPM; a function of the ratio between 1st and 2nd. As the car gains speed the clutch drives are "flipped" and then 2nd gear takes over. And so on up to 7th gear.

Downshifts happen in reverse of this pattern. While in 7th the 6th gearset is set to spin faster to ready for a downshift.

Thus the feel and driveability of the transmission is nearly identical to a manual gearbox.

The trick is how the computer figures out, then implements, the driver's desire to accelerate or decelerate through the gears. It does this through accelerator and brake inputs and apparently a whole lot of magic, er, algorithms. The programs are simple for performance driving- the driver is either on the gas or on the brake. The "magic" is the programming to make this work dependably in everyday driving. This explains why Porsche started using doppelkupplung in the 1980s for race cars and is only recently using it for retail cars.
    They are nice, as is the Audi Q5. No doubt Porsche makes some fine automobiles. A friend has a GT3 RS, it's quite a car...
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

6. #81 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,626 Times in 9,294 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    They are nice, as is the Audi Q5. No doubt Porsche makes some fine automobiles. A friend has a GT3 RS, it's quite a car...
    What's wrong with buying American?
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?

7. #82 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Margot Frank View Post
    What's wrong with buying American?
    Nothing, I did.
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

8. #83 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I drove a Q5 equipped at $60k and didn't like it nearly as much as the A7. The A7 equipped at $80k was so much more impressive, but my wife flipped when she saw the price. Two days after that I drove the base Macan, probably the same platform as the Q5, but it felt a lot more solid (still not as solid as the A7, but damn close).

My impression of the Macan is a like driving a brick- solid as heck, but yet nimble and quick.

The Q5 is actually faster than the Macan in the 1/4 mile. Probably weighs less.

I don't ever see myself in a 911, especially a hyper expensive one like the GT models. I like the Cayman though- maybe my wife's next car...

9. #84 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,824 Times in 8,868 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 896 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post

My Brother just got a Volvo xc90 ...

I never really liked them until I finally road in on ...

Way better than the BMW SUV x5
    ONE-N-DONE, YOU GOT PLAYED; Time To Play-On
    Remember ... ELECTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES ... So STFU Bitch

10. #85 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon View Post
    My Brother just got a Volvo xc90 ...

I never really liked them until I finally road in on ...

Way better than the BMW SUV x5
    You mean rode in one....

Is it a FWD platform?

11. #86 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I drove a Q5 equipped at $60k and didn't like it nearly as much as the A7. The A7 equipped at $80k was so much more impressive, but my wife flipped when she saw the price. Two days after that I drove the base Macan, probably the same platform as the Q5, but it felt a lot more solid (still not as solid as the A7, but damn close).

My impression of the Macan is a like driving a brick- solid as heck, but yet nimble and quick.

The Q5 is actually faster than the Macan in the 1/4 mile. Probably weighs less.

I don't ever see myself in a 911, especially a hyper expensive one like the GT models. I like the Cayman though- maybe my wife's next car...
    Yes, the price difference is why I didn't mention the A7. I ride along with my friend when he takes his Porsche to the Porsche/Audi dealership for maintenance every spring so we have a chance to see what's new. A BMW/Mercedes dealership is next door and we check out what they have to offer as well. I think the Porsche is a nice SUV, as is the Q5 and Q7 but I didn't test drive any of them.
    When I went searching for an SUV, I wasn't looking for luxury, just simple and reliable transportation for $35k or less. I settled on the Hyundai because of the 10 yr/100,000 warranty and I got a good deal on it.

Just like the 911 GT's and my Cobra, the Cayman (I'm sure you know) is a sports car. Not the most comfortable, smooth riding or well equipped (my Cobra doesn't have a top or even a glove box!) car on the road, but they handle great and are fun to drive. If it's for the wife, make sure she takes it for a long enough test drive to get a feel for it because, well face it, most women aren't automobile aficionados. My GF says she'd never want to drive my Cobra (not that I'd let her) and bitched when I spent the money on it, but I didn't buy it for her anyway.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to RB 60 For This Post:

TOP (01-02-2019)

13. #87 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Yes, the price difference is why I didn't mention the A7. I ride along with my friend when he takes his Porsche to the Porsche/Audi dealership for maintenance every spring so we have a chance to see what's new. A BMW/Mercedes dealership is next door and we check out what they have to offer as well. I think the Porsche is a nice SUV, as is the Q5 and Q7 but I didn't test drive any of them.
    When I went searching for an SUV, I wasn't looking for luxury, just simple and reliable transportation for $35k or less. I settled on the Hyundai because of the 10 yr/100,000 warranty and I got a good deal on it.

Just like the 911 GT's and my Cobra, the Cayman (I'm sure you know) is a sports car. Not the most comfortable, smooth riding or well equipped (my Cobra doesn't have a top or even a glove box!) car on the road, but they handle great and are fun to drive. If it's for the wife, make sure she takes it for a long enough test drive to get a feel for it because, well face it, most women aren't automobile aficionados. My GF says she'd never want to drive my Cobra (not that I'd let her) and bitched when I spent the money on it, but I didn't buy it for her anyway.
    I am aware of the Cayman's rep for a harsh ride but was hoping that the base model would be tamer, plusher. The one I saw in the showroom looked comfy inside.

14. #88 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I am aware of the Cayman's rep for a harsh ride but was hoping that the base model would be tamer, plusher. The one I saw in the showroom looked comfy inside.
    I can't speak for the Cayman, but my friend's GT3 is difficult to get in and out of. You sit low and the seat pretty much wraps around you. Once in, it isn't bad though.

15. #89 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I can't speak for the Cayman, but my friend's GT3 is difficult to get in and out of. You sit low and the seat pretty much wraps around you. Once in, it isn't bad though.
    My wife's only 5'-5", slender and flexible, so that doesn't concern me.

16. #90 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

My wife's only 5'-5", slender and flexible, so that doesn't concern me.
    It could concern her though, especially if she drives it everyday.
    As much as I like to drive my Cobra, I surely wouldn't want to drive it everyday.