1. #166 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Oneuli,

Quote Originally Posted by Oneuli View Post
    I think the calculation here is that these people cannot be made to change -- that the kind of person who thinks it's a good idea to erect a monument to white supremacist traitors along a road named after MLK is almost certain to be irredeemable. So, the point isn't to win over those monsters. Instead, it's to make the sense of the community clear to others -- that this kind of thing is not generally accepted. That can give comfort and solidarity to racial minorities who might otherwise feel intimidated by such a racist display, and it will alert younger people, whose minds aren't yet made up, that celebrating the confederates isn't just some uncontroversial bit of heritage, but rather an aggressive gesture that will be perceived very negatively by many people. That will make it more likely they'll really think it through, rather than just passively absorbing such racism.

In other words, shaming the terrible people behind the monument isn't meant to help them. It's meant to help others who are worthy of help, including the minorities targeted by their display, and the young people the monument is meant to recruit into the confederate hate cult.
    Please consider running for public office in 2020?

Your unique perspective should be more widely heard than the handful of people who visit this chat room. Your country needs you.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Oneuli (11-15-2018)

3. #167 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,734 Times in 3,515 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 291 Times in 282 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Threedee View Post
    Many things should be judged, and even shamed publicly. Our refusal to do so has weakened American society over the years.
    Ultimately the power structure can only do that which, and it will pursue whatever, we the people stand down and abide.

4. #168 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,874 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 202 Times in 195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Oneuli,

Please consider running for public office in 2020?

Your unique perspective should be more widely heard than the handful of people who visit this chat room. Your country needs you.
    Thanks. I'm a terrible public speaker, so that isn't going to happen. I've thought about getting involved in a behind-the-scenes capacity. The problem is my professional experience and academic training, in finance, would probably not win me over many friends on the left, despite my liberal outlook. In the present context, I'd be dismissed as a "Wall Street Democrat," or something like that, even though I think my inside perspective would be useful for designing Wall Street reform.

5. #169 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

It was entire universal.
    this is like saying that the entire country voted for trump. it can't be either/or.

every german must have supported the holocaust.

every russian must have supported stalins takeover.

it's like you're totally ignorant about an oppressed minority.
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

6. #170 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SmarterthanYou View Post
    this is like saying that the entire country voted for trump. it can't be either/or.

every german must have supported the holocaust.

every russian must have supported stalins takeover.

it's like you're totally ignorant about an oppressed minority.
    Every citizen of the CSA took part in secession. There were secessionist conventions held in all of the states that became part of the CSA. Those conventions expressed a strong belief in the institution of slavery. By the same token, every American universally takes part in the principles of the Declaration and the structure of the Constitution.

This is different from the forcible introduction of Marxism into Russia by men like Lenin and Stalin. I'm typically more inclined to blame the German people for what the Nazis did.

Citizens of the CSA were not previously oppressed, and neither were they a minority. To claim otherwise is a stupid lie.

7. #171 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Oneuli,

Thanks. I'm a terrible public speaker, so that isn't going to happen. I've thought about getting involved in a behind-the-scenes capacity. The problem is my professional experience and academic training, in finance, would probably not win me over many friends on the left, despite my liberal outlook. In the present context, I'd be dismissed as a "Wall Street Democrat," or something like that, even though I think my inside perspective would be useful for designing Wall Street reform.
    I think you should pursue it. Maybe as a speech writer / issue researcher / public outreach. I worked on the Obama presidential campaigns. Very rewarding and I definitely felt like I made a difference, brought in more votes. I should have campaigned for Bernie. I was a little tied up with too much going on then, so I now wish I had made it more of a priority. I may get involved again for 2020.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Oneuli (11-15-2018)

9. #172 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,750 Times in 4,500 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 180 Posts

Uh, yeah, we really don't. People have been taught to not judge bad habits.
    I can judge something without attempting to shame a person for his decision. All the Trump supporters would try to shame Hillary voters and Clinton supporters would try to shame Trump voters. I don't think you would change any minds, both sides are convinced the other has made an immoral decision, and it would create destructive actions.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Flash For This Post:

PoliTalker (11-16-2018)

11. #173 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    I can judge something without attempting to shame a person for his decision. All the Trump supporters would try to shame Hillary voters and Clinton supporters would try to shame Trump voters. I don't think you would change any minds, both sides are convinced the other has made an immoral decision, and it would create destructive actions.
    Leave them all behind unto themselves and move on.

12. #174 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,750 Times in 4,500 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 180 Posts

In other words, shaming the terrible people behind the monument isn't meant to help them. It's meant to help others who are worthy of help, including the minorities targeted by their display, and the young people the monument is meant to recruit into the confederate hate cult.
    That may be the purpose, but it only creates hateful conflict. Should we also shame those who want to deny free speech to those putting up the monument?

I still think ignoring it is better than calling attention to it--the less publicity the better. Most people don't even know what it is.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Flash For This Post:

PoliTalker (11-16-2018)

14. #175 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

That may be the purpose, but it only creates hateful conflict.
    I think the monument created the hateful conflict. The question is whether the field should be ceded to the racists without a fight (knowing full well that such uncontested racism will influence the culture in a way that will cause such attitudes to seep into the minds of young people unquestioned). I'd say no. I think there's value in making it clear that the bigots behind that monument are pariahs in the minds of decent people everywhere.

Should we also shame those who want to deny free speech to those putting up the monument?
    Who wants to deny them free speech?

I still think ignoring it is better than calling attention to it--the less publicity the better. Most people don't even know what it is.
    I don't see a reason to believe that ignoring it will be better than standing up to it. The issue here isn't whether they should have free speech or not. The issue is whether those who disagree with them should self-censor, so as not to upbraid the tender sensibilities of the racists. I'm fine with both sides speaking their minds, and let the better ideas win out. I don't think we should create a protective bubble around racists so they don't have to hear anyone who disagrees with them.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Oneuli For This Post:

PoliTalker (11-16-2018)

16. #176 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

That may be the purpose, but it only creates hateful conflict. Should we also shame those who want to deny free speech to those putting up the monument?

Most white people? Not sure we'd have any controversy if "most people" didn't even know what it was all about.

17. #177 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I think the monument created the hateful conflict. The question is whether the field should be ceded to the racists without a fight (knowing full well that such uncontested racism will influence the culture in a way that will cause such attitudes to seep into the minds of young people unquestioned). I'd say no. I think there's value in making it clear that the bigots behind that monument are pariahs in the minds of decent people everywhere.

Who wants to deny them free speech?

I don't see a reason to believe that ignoring it will be better than standing up to it. The issue here isn't whether they should have free speech or not. The issue is whether those who disagree with them should self-censor, so as not to upbraid the tender sensibilities of the racists. I'm fine with both sides speaking their minds, and let the better ideas win out. I don't think we should create a protective bubble around racists so they don't have to hear anyone who disagrees with them.
    And boy howdy does america vomit up sensitive snowflake racists so averse to the upbraiding of their tender sensibilities.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Fentoine Lum For This Post:

Oneuli (11-15-2018)

19. #178 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Fentoine Lum View Post
    And boy howdy does america vomit up sensitive snowflake racists so averse to the upbraiding of their tender sensibilities.
    Yep. It's bizarre. Basically, the message is "It's OK for me to celebrate people who betrayed this country and murdered its soldiers in order to try to expand a system where they could rape and kill black people to their heart's content, but it's not OK for you to point out the problems with me doing so, because that would hurt my feelings." Bizarre stuff.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oneuli For This Post:

Minister of Truth (11-15-2018), PoliTalker (11-16-2018), rjhenn (11-19-2018)

21. #179 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Yep. It's bizarre. Basically, the message is "It's OK for me to celebrate people who betrayed this country and murdered its soldiers in order to try to expand a system where they could rape and kill black people to their heart's content, but it's not OK for you to point out the problems with me doing so, because that would hurt my feelings." Bizarre stuff.
    Safe spaces at a premium.

22. #180 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

Frankly, both sides should be ashamed in that debate.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Minister of Truth For This Post:

Flash (11-15-2018)