Thread: With Trump sitting nearby, Macron calls nationalism a betrayal

1. #91 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,734 Times in 3,515 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 291 Times in 282 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    LOL. Um...no...a supremacist feels supreme.
    Falsely.

2. #92 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thing1 View Post
    You don't know what the word "nationalism" means, at all.

Why are you even spending time in this discussion? Read up on it & learn what it means first.
    Oh he knows, he knows.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fentoine Lum For This Post:

Cancel 2020.1 (11-11-2018)

4. #93 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 982 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 37 Times in 36 Posts

In the legal, literal and birthright sense I am an American National, therefore a Nationalist...no weird new p.c. meaning. Remember I'm 66 years old and have never (until now) seen anyone treat the word as something derogatory.
    In the personally decided political sense I am a patriot who does actually love America and our Constitution. I come from a Navy family who was born here (Nationals) and loved America (patriots).
    I know you are smart enough to know being a national of a country does not mean one is a nationalist. If I hated this country and went to Canada, I would still be an American national. But not nationalist, I know you see the difference but I will point it out this one more time. Now tell me, why do you, and the Donald, insist on using the term Nationalist instead of patriot?
    Be Best

5. #94 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,388 Times in 7,999 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 809 Times in 761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fentoine Lum View Post
    Oh he knows, he knows.
    I actually don't think he/she does. I think he/she thinks it's the same as patriotism.

6. #95 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 982 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 37 Times in 36 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    A good insight.

Trump's fan boys never used, or even contemplated using the words "nationalism", or "deep state" until Trump and his rightwing proxies ordered them too.

I have been posting on political message boards for almost two decades, and none of these rightwing posters were ever using the word nationalist to describe themselves in any sustained and measurable way. Until Trump told them to.

It is a sign of a weak and pliable mind that one cannot think for themselves, and one has to parrot whatever their Hero tells them to think.
    Then, when they realize it, defend it fiercely. Even when they know...
    Be Best

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mak2 For This Post:

Cypress (11-11-2018)

8. #96 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,758 Times in 11,557 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 889 Times in 847 Posts

That's not the same as nationalism.
    Nationalism is holding pride in one's nation of birth or citizenship and professed allegiance to that nation. There's nothing out of the ordinary for a person who is born in Peru and hold their own country's interests first in their hearts and actions.
    geeeeeeeeeeez louise, how hard IS this?
    Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something
    which has begun. To abort life is to end it.

9. #97 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    ROFL.. Dems never get it.. what do you prefer? "America second"?
    We are already way down the list behind second on many, many things like social mobility, healthcare, education, infrastructure, child poverty, life expectancy, etc. Do you really not know any of this?

10. #98 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,388 Times in 7,999 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 809 Times in 761 Posts

Nationalism is holding pride in one's nation of birth or citizenship and professed allegiance to that nation. There's nothing out of the ordinary for a person who is born in Peru and hold their own country's interests first in their hearts and actions.
    I'm genuinely embarrassed for you.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cancel 2020.1 For This Post:

Cypress (11-11-2018), kudzu (11-11-2018), mak2 (11-11-2018)

12. #99 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Bullshit.

With Trump sitting nearby, Macron calls nationalism a betrayal
    French President Emmanuel Macron used an address to world leaders gathered in Paris for Armistice commemorations on Sunday to send a stern message about the dangers of nationalism, calling it a betrayal of moral values.

With U.S. President Donald Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin sitting just a few feet away listening to the speech via translation earpieces, Macron denounced those who evoke nationalist sentiment to disadvantage others.

“Patriotism is the exact opposite of nationalism: nationalism is a betrayal of patriotism,” Macron said in a 20-minute address delivered from under the Arc de Triomphe to mark the 100th anniversary of the end of World War One.

“By pursuing our own interests first, with no regard to others’, we erase the very thing that a nation holds most precious, that which gives it life and makes it great: its moral values.”

Trump, who has pursued “America First” policies since entering the White House and in the run-up to the congressional elections this month declared himself a “nationalist”, sat still and stony-faced in the front row as Macron spoke.

There was no immediate response from either the White House or the Kremlin to Macron’s comments
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-w...-idUSKCN1NG0IH
    Don got his nose rubbed in his own shit, in public, on the world stage. Nuttin' you can do about it. 'Cept maybe start another bogus war of aggression and economic colonization.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fentoine Lum For This Post:

Cypress (11-11-2018), kudzu (11-11-2018)

14. #100 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,879 Times in 6,106 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 594 Times in 580 Posts
    Blog Entries

In the legal, literal and birthright sense I am an American National, therefore a Nationalist...no weird new p.c. meaning. Remember I'm 66 years old and have never (until now) seen anyone treat the word as something derogatory.
    In the personally decided political sense I am a patriot who does actually love America and our Constitution. I come from a Navy family who was born here (Nationals) and loved America (patriots).
    A 'national' or a 'foreign national' are NOT Nationalists... It is derogatory.. LOOK at the nationalistic regimes and famous nationalists. Your Navy family should be ashamed you're so dumb.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kudzu For This Post:

Cypress (11-11-2018), mak2 (11-11-2018)

16. #101 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I'm genuinely embarrassed for you.
    I have nothing for the willfully ignorant.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Fentoine Lum For This Post:

kudzu (11-11-2018)

18. #102 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

"What is patriotism?

Let us begin with what patriotism is not.
    It is not patriotic to dodge the draft and to mock war heroes and their families. It is not patriotic to discriminate against active-duty members of the armed forces in one's companies, or to campaign to keep disabled veterans away from one's property.

It is not patriotic to compare one's search for sexual partners in New York with the military service in Vietnam that one has dodged. It is not patriotic to avoid paying taxes, especially when American working families do pay. It is not patriotic to ask those working, taxpaying American families to finance one's own presidential campaign, and then to spend their contributions in one's own companies. It is not patriotic to admire foreign dictators.

It is not patriotic to cultivate a relationship with Muammar Gaddafi; or to say that Bashar al-Assad and Vladimir Putin are superior leaders. It is not patriotic to call upon Russia to intervene in an American presidential election. It is not patriotic to cite Russian propaganda at rallies." Timothy Snyder https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33917107-on-tyranny

19. #103 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kudzu View Post
    A 'national' or a 'foreign national' are NOT Nationalists... It is derogatory.. LOOK at the nationalistic regimes and famous nationalists.
    I think we should just accept him as his word, that's what he's into.

20. #104 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fentoine Lum View Post
    I think we should just accept him as his word, that's what he's into.
    Her... Stretch is female.

21. #105 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,758 Times in 11,557 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 889 Times in 847 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
    I know you are smart enough to know being a national of a country does not mean one is a nationalist. If I hated this country and went to Canada, I would still be an American national. But not nationalist, I know you see the difference but I will point it out this one more time. Now tell me, why do you, and the Donald, insist on using the term Nationalist instead of patriot?
    A nationalist is one who takes pride in the whatever country they are a citizen in. So, if let's say that if you hated America, moved to Canada and hereafter pledge your allegiance to Canada over the land of your birth, you'd be a Canadian nationalist.

The whole point being is that WHATEVER country you want to support their interests first in, well go ahead and call yourself a Nationalist of that country. What's wrong with that?
    We can go live in, become a citizen of and become a "nationalist" for whatever country we want I suppose. I'm no snob. I believe that every country's citizens who want their own country's interests put first is patriotic and a "nationalist" by today's standards. Live and let live.
    If people living here detest the idea of our own interests being served first, then go kill all our military and pick another country's leader to help start another Revolution here so we can return to living under the rule of THAT country and become nationalists for THAT country that they love better.
    Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something
    which has begun. To abort life is to end it.