Members banned from this thread: Blackwater Lunchbreak, SmarterthanYou, USFREEDOM911, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Granule, canceled.2021.1, Boris The Animal, canceled.2021.2, MAGA MAN, iewitness, Irish, CFM, Ralph, Lightbringer, Sailor, Bigdog, TTQ64, Getin the ring, zymurgy, Superfreak, PraiseKek, Eagle_Eye, katzgar, countryboy, volsrock, The Ugly Truth, BodyDouble, coolzone, rhym3pays, LV426, Into the Night and Enlightened One

Thread: False Rumors Claimed Shooter Was Middle Easterner Actually US Marine - Trained Killer

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default False Rumors Claimed Shooter Was Middle Easterner Actually US Marine - Trained Killer

Twitter was ablaze with false claims about the shooter, wrongly blaming Muslims.

SNOPES

"On 7 November 2018, a man entered Borderline Bar & Grill in Thousand Oaks, California, and fatally shot twelve people. As law enforcement officials and emergency responders rushed to the scene in the immediate aftermath of the shooting, an Islamophobic and fear-mongering rumor began to circulate on social media about the identify of the shooter.

Twitter user @ImPeterGriffinn (whose profile picture depicts the stripes of the American flag as guns), for instance, posted a photograph which supposedly showed the shooter and claimed that the gunman had been identified as a 28-year-old named Abu Al-Hom Kreuzi.

The actual suspect identified by police was a 28-year-old U.S. Marine Corps veteran named David Long:

Ian David Long, 28, has been identified as the suspected gunman in the mass shooting at a Thousand Oaks nightclub.

The shooting happened inside Borderline Bar & Grill. At least a dozen people were killed, including a sheriff’s sergeant, Ron Helus. None of the other victims have been identified.

Thursday morning, authorities said the gunman was found dead inside the nightclub. Ventura County Sheriff Geoff Dean said investigators believe Long fatally shot himself.

A motive for the shooting is still unclear. Neighbors told investigators that Long was a veteran and may have suffered from PTSD:

Investigators knocked on doors of surrounding residents to find out what they may know about Long. One neighbor who knew Long said he was a veteran who suffered from PTSD. She said, “I don’t know what he was doing with a gun.” Others said Long lived at the home with his mother."
    Standard anti-troll thread thief disclaimer:
    If this thread is stolen, plagiarized, will the thief have the nerve to use the entire OP, word for word? Including this disclaimer?

If you want my take on it, you'll have to post to this original thread. I refuse to be an enabler for online bullies, so I won't post to a stolen thread. I won't even read it.

Thread thievery is the tool of trolls. You know, people talk about one another. You might as well admit it is true, and realize the people who know you, talk about you when you are not present. I can accept that. Many can't. Trolls can't. They have to try to conTROLL what people say about them. (Like Trump!) They can't stand the thought of people talking about them without trying to conTROLL the conversation. That's the insecurity talking......

The people banned from this thread were banned because they refused to be polite, so I refuse to talk to them. I came to talk about Just Plain Politics.
    Xenophobes!
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,824 Times in 8,868 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 896 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries

Didn't one of those Rumors come from some idiots on this Forum?
    ONE-N-DONE, YOU GOT PLAYED; Time To Play-On
    Remember ... ELECTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES ... So STFU Bitch

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Bourbon,

Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon View Post
    Didn't one of those Rumors come from some idiots on this Forum?
    We'll have to see who objects most fervently to this discussion.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I surprised Trump didn't retweet the rumor. Slow on the uptake?