Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good morning, let me introduce myself

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Good morning, let me introduce myself

I am George Eccles and I write thrillers under the name of G W Eccles.

I lived for many years in Moscow and Central Asia travelling extensively throughout Russia, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan - often to places with restricted access to foreigners. During my time there, I advised a number of real-life oligarchs how best to take advantage of the opportunities that became available as regulation crumbled and government became increasingly corrupt.

I now live with my wife - and a cat called Lenin and a bulldog puppy called Boris - in a hilltop village in the South of France.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gweccles For This Post:

Damocles (12-19-2015)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Good morning. I am Mott The Hoople. I'm a former petty grifter and song writer. I lived for many years in the American south where I advised the locals on practical survival skills, such as, how to use stump splitters to open beer cans, making canons from pvc tubing, duct tape and marbles and converting old refrigerators into whole hog smokers (kosher of course).

I currently live in a gated community in an ivory tower, that some might call a condominium, in the center of Ohio with my lovely bride and an azalea plant named Antoine.

It's a pleasure to make your aquantance.
    Last edited by Mott the Hoople; 12-19-2015 at 08:56 AM.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Damocles (12-19-2015), kaz (12-19-2015)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello, my name is of no consequence but here I go by Damocles. I was formerly a sailor in the US Navy where I was a Russian translator and a hack at writing science fiction.

I currently live in no city whatsoever in the middle of one of the largest, but more sparsely populated, counties in Colorado with my wife, two dogs named Koda and Doofenschmirtz, two cats named Emma and Gary, many goats, rabbits, cavies (guinea pigs), chickens and fish. I work at a communications company where I utilize my skills to move companies into the 21st century by moving their phones onto the interwebs.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (12-19-2015)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gweccles View Post
    I advised a number of real-life oligarchs how best to take advantage of the opportunities that became available as regulation crumbled and government became increasingly corrupt.
    Rana needs you......

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I am more of a sci-fi fan but I'll look into your novels, political thrillers are not my normal wont but I have no issue working a bit outside my norm.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,865 Times in 7,323 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 785 Times in 732 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    Hello, my name is of no consequence but here I go by Damocles. I was formerly a sailor in the US Navy where I was a Russian translator and a hack at writing science fiction.

I currently live in no city whatsoever in the middle of one of the largest, but more sparsely populated, counties in Colorado with my wife, two dogs named Koda and Doofenschmirtz, two cats named Emma and Gary, many goats, rabbits, cavies (guinea pigs), chickens and fish. I work at a communications company where I utilize my skills to move companies into the 21st century by moving their phones onto the interwebs.
    Don't forget the bees.
    WATERMARK, GREATEST OF THE TRINITY, ON CHIK-FIL-A
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    The fields of mediocre chicken sandwiches shall be sowed with salt, so that nothing may ever grow there again.
    www.gunsbeerfreedom.blogspot.com

www.gunsbeerfreedom.blogspot.com

10. The Following User Says Thank You to /MSG/ For This Post:

11. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sheogorath View Post
    Don't forget the bees.
    Indeed. We only name the queens. I currently have three hives. Named Dora, Elda, and Jim.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

13. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,094 Times in 25,664 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,614 Times in 2,498 Posts

Indeed. We only name the queens. I currently have three hives. Named Dora, Elda, and Jim.
    Is Jim transsexual?

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
    ― Charles Dickens

14. The Following User Says Thank You to christiefan915 For This Post:

Minister of Truth (12-19-2015)

15. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by christiefan915 View Post
    Is Jim transsexual?
    You'd have to ask Jim. We don't judge.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (12-19-2015), Rune (12-19-2015)

17. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Is Jim transitioning like Bruce/Caitlyn?

18. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

19. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It appears there actually is a G. W. Eccles who writes thrillers. If this is a sock puppet the real Mr. Eccles will not be amused.

20. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,833 Times in 8,248 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,899 Times in 5,299 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    It appears there actually is a G. W. Eccles who writes thrillers. If this is a sock puppet the real Mr. Eccles will not be amused.
    I imagine he is indeed Mr.Eccles.
    It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.

21. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

"...JIM..."
    SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

22. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,833 Times in 8,248 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,899 Times in 5,299 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gweccles View Post
    I am George Eccles and I write thrillers under the name of G W Eccles.

I lived for many years in Moscow and Central Asia travelling extensively throughout Russia, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan - often to places with restricted access to foreigners. During my time there, I advised a number of real-life oligarchs how best to take advantage of the opportunities that became available as regulation crumbled and government became increasingly corrupt.

I now live with my wife - and a cat called Lenin and a bulldog puppy called Boris - in a hilltop village in the South of France.
    Good evening Mr. Eccles.
    Am a correct that your post is either mildly sarcastic in tone or that you are serious and have come here in a hopefully not vain attempt to atone from your sins by advising the victems of oligarchs how to wrest back their due?
    It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.