Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Something for both sides to cheer about

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,341 Times in 5,714 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 374 Times in 355 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    Republicans have only one thing to be happy about, that the Senate map favored them so much.
    Had more Republican seats been in play, Dems would have retaken the whole of Congress.

Republicans were the beneficiaries of circumstances beyond anyone's control, as with its scotus
    retirement good fortunes.
    you're making a fool of yourself in post after post, please stop.

Last night should be a wake-up call to the Democrats, they had better come up with some ideas to move the country forward.
    their "rock stars" were sent home losers last night.

When you pick up a scant 30 some odd scattered district seats in a field of 435 , in a mid-term where the presidents party has only held on 3 times since the civil war you might want to think about what went wrong rather than celebrating.

2020 push starts in about 4 months, who does the Democrats have in mind? great question huh? let me answer for you, NOBODY.

I have an idea though, why doesn't Nancy 'wicked witch of the west' Pelosi put together some progressive nut-bag legislation and send it over to the 54 seat majority GOP Senate and see how fast it comes back return to sender. Then last nights "Win" may take on some perspective for you
    This just In::: Trump indicted for living in liberals heads and not paying RENT

C̶N̶N̶ SNN.... Shithole News Network

Trump Is Coming back to a White House Near you

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Getin the ring For This Post:

Bigdog (11-07-2018), Stretch (11-07-2018)

3. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Teflon Don View Post
    Do you think it will stop them?

I don’t. There is a rabid base they need to play to in order to ramp up for 2020

They are in a tough spot.

The first tough vote is Speaker. Lots of dems said they wouldn’t vote for Pelosi. If they do will it matter? Probably not

But lots of them ran on healthcare. And if their voters only see Auntie Maxine on the news screeching about investigation after investigation I don’t think that will play.

This could have been much worse for Republicans. Some were calling for them to lose up to 60 seats.

I think the night was a draw
    Don: "I think the night was a draw"
    Jack: It's not a 'draw' when every Chairmanship is handed over to the Democrats.

If there had been a Blue Wave, I would agree that 'Investigations' would go through the roof. As it turns out, the Country is pretty evenly divided. I think the strategy of the Dems is to try and work with Trump on a number of issues the deems want to accomplish, like Infrastructure and Immigration.
    I'll pose a question to you. Do you think Trump would support 'Medicare for All'? (This could lock his legacy and insure him a 'win' in 2020)

4. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,039 Times in 2,191 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 603 Times in 570 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Getin the ring View Post
    God I hope so

And on topic, I'd like to think there was enough there last night for both sides to pause, and say coming to he center is the way forward,

We can and should govern with divided power in congress
    That is certainly the mature perspective. History has a way of proving that it repeats itself.

Checks And Balances were written into our Constitution for a reason.

Abusive powers that go unchecked is not good for our nation. And no matter whether the abuse of power is coming from the left or right, when powers are abused and go unchecked, it has a way of coming back to haunt you in the Midterm Elections. History has proven this since 1776. And history continues to repeat itself.

But, it's nice to know we have other adults in the room here!

Thanks for your comments!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Adolf_Twitler For This Post:

kudzu (11-07-2018)

6. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,622 Times in 8,086 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 639 Times in 618 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Don: "I think the night was a draw"
    Jack: It's not a 'draw' when every Chairmanship is handed over to the Democrats.

If there had been a Blue Wave, I would agree that 'Investigations' would go through the roof. As it turns out, the Country is pretty evenly divided. I think the strategy of the Dems is to try and work with Trump on a number of issues the deems want to accomplish, like Infrastructure and Immigration.
    I'll pose a question to you. Do you think Trump would support 'Medicare for All'? (This could lock his legacy and insure him a 'win' in 2020)
    Would Trump support it? He just might personally, but he would lose his base so politically he would not support it. I don't think democrats really want to have a blow out healthcare fight heading into 2020. They will probably nibble around the edges.

I will ask you two questions.

Heading into 2020, do you think democrats want to hand Trump any legislative victories on healthcare and immigration? I don't believe that they do. They leave this election thinking that healthcare is a winning issue for them. The last thing they want to do is solve it and let Trump get credit for it heading into 2020. Then they have no issue to run on.

Oh they will talk about it, but they don't really want to do anything about it.

I get it. The democrats are riding high after last night. They should. Since 2010, other than Obama being re-elected they haven't had much to celebrate politically. I think this election was just people saying "I need a break"

We will see what each side does from here.

As I told you though, you don't see Republicans crying in their beer or screaming at the sky like democrats did in 2016. They take their losses like men

7. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,556 Times in 2,630 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 217 Times in 212 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by reagansghost View Post
    the GOP just tried their perennial 'Pelosi is the devil incarnate' ploy, didn't work, again
    I'm glad you feel that way.

Her behavior, and the war on men from the SCOTUS hearings is why the democrats didn't flip both the house and the senate.

2 years of her saying the most ridiculous things, while implementing investigation after investigation is going to end well for the GOP

8. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    Well, the election turned out pretty much according to script.

Democrats won, but not big and Republicans can say they held off the Blue Wave. Maybe the biggest upset of the night was McCaskill going down in MO.

Probably the biggest disappointment [if you’re part of the Resistance] is the election failed to repudiate Trump.
    Oh, I think Trump got plenty of come-uppance.

Virginia is now blue.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

kudzu (11-07-2018)

10. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,879 Times in 6,106 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 594 Times in 580 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Oh, I think Trump got plenty of come-uppance.

Virginia is now blue.
    I don't know.. Americans seem to have rejected civil discourse, manners, integrity, morality in favor of Trump.

11. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Too many of your enraged cohorts want their pound of Trump flesh.

There will be a rebellion if House Democrats don’t go after Trump for something-anything.
    they are cutting their own political throat if they do not work to compromise for legislation.
    They are then the "do nothing Congress" -a perfect foil for Trump to run against in 2020

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

Bigdog (11-07-2018), Darth Omar (11-07-2018), Stretch (11-07-2018)

13. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Darth,

No I voted for Morrisey even though he didn’t have much of a chance.

Morrisey lobbied for the opiate pill makers and that’s kind of a sore spot with me a lot of WV Trump supporters. But I held my nose—only because what was at stake.
    Anybody of conscience who supports Trump policy has to do that to vote.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

14. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello kudzu,

Quote Originally Posted by kudzu View Post
    I don't know.. Americans seem to have rejected civil discourse, manners, integrity, morality in favor of Trump.
    Not all Americans. Not while I'm around. And I'm not alone.

15. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,758 Times in 11,557 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 889 Times in 847 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by reagansghost View Post
    I'm cheering the demise of Scott Walker in Wisconsin, see ya later corporate whore

hopefully the new Dem guv can restore some funding to the universities and undo that hooker's massive damage
    Recount going on. Not just for him, but in other extremely close ones also. To be expected.
    Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something
    which has begun. To abort life is to end it.

16. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,758 Times in 11,557 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 889 Times in 847 Posts

And, thankfully we will now have a strong Senate backing the Prez.
    Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something
    which has begun. To abort life is to end it.