Thread: Get Washington out of Washington. Put it in Omaha.

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Get Washington out of Washington. Put it in Omaha.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.4d940b058e08

Get Washington out of Washington. Put it in Omaha.

Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue announced in August that he wanted to move the Economic Research Service and the National Institute of Food and Agriculture out of Washington, to places where the type of scholarship they rely on is centered. Now the department is considering proposals submitted by interested parties to host the headquarters for those subagencies.

You might assume that such a move would be regarded as a common-sense exercise in sound administrative and academic practice. But you would be wrong — at least in the eyes of the client organizations that seek funding from these mini-bureaucracies. Their protests came promptly and loudly after Perdue’s announcement.

...more at link
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'd agree somewhat. I think we need to move the capital to somewhere centrally located. DC was centrally located when it was founded, but it's location far in the east is hopelessly outdated. I propose that we move the core executive buildings and legislature to some place in middle America, Nebraska, Kansas, or Oklahoma. DC can still remain as a secondary administrative center (doing otherwise would leave us with a giant black hole of urban blight on the east coast). But the main political offices would be moved to the new capital, and most new administration would be there as well. The old white house, capitol, and related buildings would be kept as museums and memorials.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

I suggest a 'New City' be built. From the ground up. We are all interested in a 'Infrastructure Plan' and we need a City that is adequate for the 21st century. Build the Place with the best minds and designers. Bring in the Tech Companies for advice and input.