Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: first American since Fischer to challenge for the World Chess Championship.

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    that is an example of an "outpost knight". you can see the reach - it's absolutely deadly in close quarters and when posted in the opponents ranks / but that is not a "strategy" or even tactics. it's just a piece's power
    It didn't just get there on its own though, Fischer needed a powerful strategy to deceive his opponent.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Havana Moon View Post
    It didn't just get there on its own though, Fischer needed a powerful strategy to deceive his opponent.
    Absolutely. Great players use their pieces in concert.
    The great strategists look if they can invade territory; generally the more space you control the better yourposition
    A piece like a queen, rook, knight down there can pig out. In fact rooks on the opponents 7th rank is called a pig!

Wiki: " rooks are sometimes colloquially referred to as 'pigs on the seventh', because they often threaten
    to "eat" the opponent's pieces or pawns."

Rooks on the Seventh, Revisited
    https://www.chess.com/article/view/r...enth-revisited
    Despite his irritable personality and somewhat dogmatic assertions, Aron Nimzowitsch (1886-1935) is the undisputed patriarch of modern positional thought.

In his magnum opus My System (1925), Nimzowitsch formulated and verbalized a litany of strategic concepts (prophylaxis, overprotection, and blockade, just to name a few) that we now take for granted.

Although many of his principal contentions are now regarded as self-evident, I believe that there is one notion in particular that chess players still routinely misunderstand: the power of two rooks on the seventh (second) rank.
    Last edited by dukkha; 11-10-2018 at 12:07 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (11-10-2018)

4. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

World Chess Championship Round 1: Caruana Struggles But Holds Draw Against Carlse
    https://www.chess.com/news/view/worl...gainst-carlsen
    It wasn't his longest world championship game ever, but to Magnus Carlsen, it felt like it. After 115 moves in the opening round of his fourth title match, he couldn't break through against challenger Fabiano Caruana. The two drew their opening game at the 2018 world chess championship, but this is one case where the result masks the tension of the battle.

Fabiano Caruana and Magnus Carlsen:

5. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

6. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

World Chess Championship starts with Harrelson blunder

World Chess Championship officials might rethink the role of ceremonial starter after Hollywood actor Woody Harrelson knocked over a king and moved the wrong pawn in a comical start to the 2018 event in London on Friday.

Norwegian title holder Magnus Carlsen and Fabiano Caruana were bemused onlookers as the U.S. actor began their eagerly anticipated match-up by knocking over the American challenger’s king, the move that traditionally signals a concession.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...-idUSKCN1NE295

Caruana had asked the “Hunger Games” and “Cheers” actor to move his pawn to start the game, only for Harrelson to hit the king and moved a different piece.

A bewildered Caruana initially appeared to accept the mistake before officials allowed the pawn to be returned. A grinning Harrelson then moved the correct pawn before quickly exiting the stage.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to anatta For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (11-13-2018)

8. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

9. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Threedee View Post
    We need Grandmaster TDAK here to explain some of these concepts for us.
    I can get Woody Harrelson to work real cheap to give lessons on blunders!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

Minister of Truth (11-10-2018)

11. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,680 Times in 27,325 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

I still remember my father and I being electrified by the unexpected Bobby Fisher victory in the 1970s. It almost felt like it was an extension of the cold war, where sports and chess were asymmetrical forms of warfare in seeking dominance over the rival superpower.

The reason Russians, aka East Slavs, dominate at chess is cultural. In my experience, Russian boys are taught chess at a very young age and play relentlessly throughout their lives. A distant cousin of mine has a chess move named after him. I literally will not play against most Russians because I know I will get my doors blown off, wasting both their time and mine.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

dukkha (11-10-2018)

13. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,734 Times in 3,515 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 291 Times in 282 Posts
    Blog Entries

first American since Fischer to challenge for the World Chess Championship.

Pffffffffft, terrific.

14. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 73 Times in 64 Posts

Fabiano Caruana, a US-American and Italian chess grand master, and Grischuk (not pictured), chess grand master of Russia, playing at their boards at the "FIDE World Chess Candidates Tournament" in March 2018
    http://time.com/5444715/fabiano-caru...bobby-fischer/

Fabiano Caruana did not start playing chess in Brooklyn, New York when he was five years old because his mom thought he’d be a future grandmaster, or that he’d one day play for the World Chess Championship, just like fellow Brooklynite Bobby Fischer did back in the early 1970s. No, Caruana’s mom thought chess would calm him down and keep him focused in school.

“I was having trouble with concentration,” Caruana, 26, tells TIME, “and the idea was that maybe chess would help with that. It was more of a remedy.” Before long, this cure for little-kid hyperactivity took Caruana much further than his Lego buildings and origamis ever could. Within a year, he was winning tournament games against kids who were in junior high school and older. “His first instructor told us he was trying to teach her chess concepts,” says Caruana’s father, Lou. “We knew he was special.”

Starting on Friday in London, Caruana will become the first American since Fischer, who won the world chess title in 1972 and held it until 1975, to challenge for the World Chess Championship. Caruana faces Norway’s Magnus Carlsen, the world chess champ since 2013, in the 12-game match that will be played over three weeks at The College, a 10,000-square-foot venue in the city. Chess rarely attracts much mainstream attention in the United States. But chess pundits expect that a Caruana victory could spark an explosion in chess interest America hasn’t seen since Fischer’s heyday. “You do like your winners, don’t you?” says Mark Crowther, the U.K.-based founder and editor of The Week In Chess.

In March, Caruana earned the right to face Carlsen by beating out seven other top players to win the Candidates Tournament in Berlin. “Fabiano has the power to be better than Carlsen,” says Crowther. “There have been very, very few players you can say that about. I honestly don’t know who’s going to win this match. It’s a total toss-up.”

Caruana forged a circuitous path to representing the U.S. on chess’ grandest stage. His family decided to take Fabiano out of school and move to Spain when he was 12 in order to compete in more high-level tournaments and train with top instructors. Since his mother is Italian, he could compete for Italy’s chess federation. “It was not an easy decision,” says Caruana’s father Lou of taking his son out of school. “The plan was always to do it for a year or two and see how it works out. Is he loses a year of school, so what? He’s smart and can catch up. We could always correct things if it wasn’t going in the right direction.”

Initially, Caruana didn’t support the plan. “I wasn’t really keen on the idea of going to Europe when my parents suggested it,” he says. “I had friends in Brooklyn; I had a life in Brooklyn. But once I started playing chess pretty much full time, it just became a normal part of life. Me and my dad would just go from tournament to tournament in different countries. I missed out on social things in school and everything, but I was able to see the world as a young kid, which is very rare.”

Lou, a former data processing consultant who also earned income from real estate holdings, says he spent as much $100,000 on chess travel and instruction for his son in those early years in Europe. The investment paid off: Before his 15th birthday, Caruana became the youngest chess grandmaster, at the time, in the history of both Italy and the United States. Caruana admits early success swelled his head a bit. “You don’t think you need the work, which is always a mistake,” Caruana says. “I would take excessive risks and do crazy things to win a game, and commit suicide.”

Caruana overcame his growing pains, however, and started earning a living playing chess. At the same time, he eyed a return to the United States. In 2014, he turned in a dominant performance at the Sinquefield Cup in St. Louis, beating out Carlsen and other elite players to win the tournament. The Sinquefield Cup is named after Rex Sinquefield, a financier who pioneered the first index stock funds back in the 1970s – and has invested north of $50 million over the past decade to building one of the world’s premier chess clubs in St. Louis. With St. Louis now a budding epicenter of global chess, Caruana moved back to America in 2015, and switched federations from Italy to the U.S. Caruana now lives in St. Louis. “For a chess player,” Caruana says, “it’s the best place to be.”

To prepare for his match against Carlsen, Caruana spent some time this summer training at Sinquefield’s country home in Missouri. Besides playing hours of chess with fellow grandmasters, he jogged and shot hoops and played tennis to keep in peak physical shape. “Chess requires a lot of stamina,” says Caruana. “You’re sitting down and you’re playing six, seven hours at a time. You’re burning a lot of calories and you can easily get mentally tired. If your physical form is not good, then you’re likely to crash at some point.” Caruana doesn’t stick to a strict diet, though he does try to avoid excessive sugar, to avoid the high and inevitable come down.

In the weeks leading up to the World Chess Championship, Caruana has trained in Spain, where he’s done yoga and swam in the Mediterranean to keep his head clear. He’s also played games for up to eight hours a day. “The goal is get you thinking about chess 24/7 in preparation for the match,” he says. “It’s playing quick games, slow games, anything that will get you in that mode where you calculate very quickly. Your mind is working in the best possible shape.”

Caruana knows that Americans are blessed with plenty of sports and entertainment options. So why would even casual observers of chess have a stake in his three-week match with Carlsen, never mind those who don’t play the game? “It’s sort of like boxing or MMA,” Caruana says. “It will be a fight that is blow for blow, with each of us trying to get the upper hand, trying to impose our will on the other guy. It’s not a physical sport. But if people are into these one-on-one duels, chess is in a way similar to that.”
    Being able to play chess is a sign of intelligence. Playing it well is a sign of a youth mispent.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Grugore For This Post:

dukkha (11-10-2018)

16. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I still remember my father and I being electrified by the unexpected Bobby Fisher victory in the 1970s. It almost felt like it was an extension of the cold war, where sports and chess were asymmetrical forms of warfare in seeking dominance over the rival superpower.

The reason Russians, aka East Slavs, dominate at chess is cultural. In my experience, Russian boys are taught chess at a very young age and play relentlessly throughout their lives. A distant cousin of mine has a chess move named after him. I literally will not play against most Russians because I know I will get my doors blown off, wasting both their time and mine.
    The story begins with Mikhail Chigorin. Chigorin stopped working to pursue chess full time. He published a magazine and played many informal and formal tournaments, culminating in a prestigious second-place finish at Hastings, 1895.
    This made Chigorin a household name in Russia and also attracted the attention of Tsar Nicolas II.

After this, chess became a praiseworthy pastime (keep in mind many cultures had dis-favorable views of chess, viewing it as a waste of time or a potential vice due to gambling).

Tsar Nicolas II played an active role in establishing Russia as a venue for tournament chess, by sponsoring a junior championship (notable winner: Future world champion Alexander Alekhine) and designating the top 5 winners of a 1914 tournament in St. Petersburg as "Grandmasters of Chess".

World War I and the Russian Revolution certainly prevented chess tournaments for a few years, but Lenin himself was a fan of the game and even encouraged participation in chess.
    However, the biggest proponent was Nikolai Vasilyevich Krylenko (Supreme Commander in Chief of the Army). Krylenko famously proclaimed: "We must organize shock brigades of chessplayers and begin immediately a five-year plan for chess." .

Some described the Soviet attachment to chess as an ideological one. Yakov Rokhlin, a Bolshevik who knew Krylenko, said chess was "a true weapon and a living piece of propaganda against religious delusions."
    So the Soviet Union tasked the All-Union Central Council of Trade Unions (VTsSPS) with organizing large and small chess tournaments, and encouraging their members (most of the working population of the Soviet Union) to play chess. The Soviet Union set aside money to sponsor tournaments to attract top international players.

In an era where the average worker struggled, distinguished chess players used their influence to gain favor (sviazi). Chess players had help from powerful party officials (like Sergei Kirov) to obtain passports to travel internationally, to attend the best universities in the Soviet Union (Botvinnik obtained a doctorate in Electrical Engineering), and to receive a monthly stipend from the state (which could be yanked in case of disfavor--ask Mark Taimanov after he lost to Fischer in 1971).

Finally, I have to mention the crucial role of the Pioneers Palace (Wikipedia). Most every Soviet champion from Botvinnik onward learned chess as a child after school in a Pioneers Palace (Petrosian, Spassky, Tal).
    Even current Russian players got their start there (e.g. Peter Svidler). If you were talented and motivated, club directors would notice you and get you coaching and eventually pay for travel for participation in tournaments.

So the Soviet Union had an ideological justification for chess, a huge player base (making chess an integral part of the culture), a path to success through chess, and completely free training for top talent.
    After the fall of the Soviet Union, this system was shaken (Pioneers Palaces no longer exist, for example), but a strong cultural connection and extensive after-school programs still ensures that Russia has the most grandmasters in the world, by far.

Soltis, Andy. Soviet Chess, 1917-1991. Jefferson, NC: McFarland, 2000.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistoria...o_dominant_at/

17. The Following User Says Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

Cypress (11-10-2018)

18. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Grugore View Post
    Being able to play chess is a sign of intelligence. Playing it well is a sign of a youth mispent.
    keeps you out of the bars unless you play speed chess for drinks!

19. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 73 Times in 64 Posts

keeps you out of the bars unless you play speed chess for drinks!
    I've done that. Did well enough to get drunk occasionally.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Grugore For This Post:

anatta (11-10-2018)

21. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

22. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts